Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

New house with two gym spaces - moving equipment down basement stairs?

We are finally closing on a new house at the end of Nov. which has ~1200 sq feet of garage space and another ~2300 feet of unfinished basement space with 9 or 10 foot ceilings.

I'm trying to figure out how to divvy up the spaces as I think my machine purchases will eventually fill the garage. My plan had been to put squat rack, DBs, rower/bike/versaclimber and all the other smaller pieces in the basement and reserve the garage for large machines.

But, I've seen a lot of folks here get crazy large pieces (like an Arsenal hack squat) into their basement somehow. Any idea what is viable to take down a 36" wide staircase with one 90 degree bend near the top?

Anyone else found a good way to divvy up their gym across two spaces? I'm fortunate the new place is just down the street from DMV Iron Gym so I have access to a great baseline of equipment and can add exactly the pieces I want over time but my plan had been to add quite a bit of Prime and Panatta, neither of which seems that practical to get down a 36" staircase but maybe I'm naive?
    Current 1 car garage setup...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeqVQRel9Uk/?taken-by=clmb511

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Having moved enough equipment for a lifetime already, I dread the idea of having to haul an entire gym in/out of a basement that isn't a walkout. If I was going to do so though, I would rent a powered stair climbing hand truck. They're about $80/day to rent in my area.

Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why would you build a new house without Bilco door access to your basement?

Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afo3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    New to us, I should say, not built to spec. But yeah, that would have been nice. I guess I could look at trying to add it somehow but imagine it would be cost prohibitive at this point. It's a suburban DC house so it is rare to even find one with an unfiinshed basement.

Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    Last edited by Afo3; 10-27-2020 at 09:51 AM.

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    I read it as OP buying a new existing house, not building one, but maybe I'm wrong. Around me bulkhead-type basement access is really uncommon on new builds. If people have an exterior access to the basement it's usually a standard walkout or they have a full stairwell in the garage. If I build new I'd probably go with the garage stairwell if I don't have the grade for a walkout. My buddy just built a new house with a daylight (traditional windows above grade, but no entry doors) basement, and I don't really understand that at all. It's almost as expensive as a walkout but gives no exterior access.

triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First off, I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. THoughts and prayers. It reminds me of when I basically had 3 gyms at my disposal for a short while haha. First world problems right?

Srsly, I would put everything in the garage. I wouldn't split it up. Sounds like a recipe for regret. "well I finished my squats, now have to run through the snow and downstairs to do my step ups" etc. Also yea, stairs and work out equipment don't mix. I had a hard enough time carrying the Concept2 in the garage up and down the deck stairs for my wife.

Just make sure you've got a good heating story in your garage. That's my biggest challenge right now.

Yeah, that's another thing, the garage has a reverse cycle system and a window air conditioner but only the roof seems to be insulated so not sure how well that's going to go.

I know the logical answer is "just use the garage" but with already having an EliteFTS hack squat, a belt squat, reverse hyper etc and plans to order about 6 pieces from Prime, I'm worried very quickly it will get full and then I'll be stuck expanding to the basement later and having to set everything up all over again. Plus, we don't have any other plans for the basement so it seems crazy to let the largest continuous space in the house just sit there.

Originally Posted by triplechris View Post
    First off, I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. THoughts and prayers. It reminds me of when I basically had 3 gyms at my disposal for a short while haha. First world problems right?
    Srsly, I would put everything in the garage. I wouldn't split it up. Sounds like a recipe for regret. "well I finished my squats, now have to run through the snow and downstairs to do my step ups" etc. Also yea, stairs and work out equipment don't mix. I had a hard enough time carrying the Concept2 in the garage up and down the deck stairs for my wife.

Just make sure you've got a good heating story in your garage. That's my biggest challenge right now.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Afo3 View Post
    Yeah, that's another thing, the garage has a reverse cycle system and a window air conditioner but only the roof seems to be insulated so not sure how well that's going to go.

I know the logical answer is "just use the garage" but with already having an EliteFTS hack squat, a belt squat, reverse hyper etc and plans to order about 6 pieces from Prime, I'm worried very quickly it will get full and then I'll be stuck expanding to the basement later and having to set everything up all over again. Plus, we don't have any other plans for the basement so it seems crazy to let the largest continuous space in the house just sit there.
    One consideration are the types of training that you desire to do in non climate controlled versus climate controlled environments. If you are impressed by smokinhawk's basement gym, IIRC he cut a few pieces and rewelded them to get them to fit, which is something most people cannot/will not be able to do.

I was totally thinking of smokinhawk, I just had forgotten which user that gym was from. Yeah, old owner of the house has plasma cutters and welding gear and all the things to do that but yeah, not so much my area of expertise. Good to know that was how he did it, I thought I was just being stupid figuring out how to get stuff down the stairs.

Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    One consideration are the types of training that you desire to do in non climate controlled versus climate controlled environments. If you are impressed by smokinhawk's basement gym, IIRC he cut a few pieces and rewelded them to get them to fit, which is something most people cannot/will not be able to do.

OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've found I've been able to get most everything into the basement even if it does require some disassembly. The exception was a couple Cybex machines that are kind of triangular in shape and all welded in one piece. Suckers would NOT fit through that doorway!!!....They got relegated to the garage which is OK. The garage is attached and fully insulated, never gets too cold. (I couldn't bear getting rid of the machines).
    So now I park in the driveway, (wife gets remaining space in the garage). Now when I consider a new piece I look to see the size, shape, and if its all welded one piece.
    ....65 years,....and praying to god that muscle 'memory' is real !!!!!

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by OldButGame View Post
    I've found I've been able to get most everything into the basement even if it does require some disassembly. The exception was a couple Cybex machines that are kind of triangular in shape and all welded in one piece. Suckers would NOT fit through that doorway!!!....They got relegated to the garage which is OK. The garage is attached and fully insulated, never gets too cold. (I couldn't bear getting rid of the machines).
    So now I park in the driveway, (wife gets remaining space in the garage). Now when I consider a new piece I look to see the size, shape, and if its all welded one piece.
    We've been buying/selling equipment for years and the only sale we ever walked away from was a Cybex VR3. The frame was fully welded and the piece was in a third floor PT studio with no elevator and steps that had a small landing with a sharp turn at each level. The piece would had to have been stood up on its edge to make each of those turns and that just wasn't going to happen with the help I had.

OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    We've been buying/selling equipment for years and the only sale we ever walked away from was a Cybex VR3. The frame was fully welded and the piece was in a third floor PT studio with no elevator and steps that had a small landing with a sharp turn at each level. The piece would had to have been stood up on its edge to make each of those turns and that just wasn't going to happen with the help I had.
    Smart call on You guys part,...I gouged the daylights out of stairwell entry,...twisted it, turned it, removed the arms,....(they were chest units),...in the end it was like you said,....just wasn't happening, and I had help, it was just a matter of physics and dimensions. It was the first time I had run into that issue.
    ....65 years,....and praying to god that muscle 'memory' is real !!!!!