Sputlegin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New Here! Routine - Am I overdoing or missing something!

Hey all,

New here but have been lurking the forums for years! I’ve been a runner/Mountain Biker all my life. I’ve been working out for 10+ years in the gym but only for the cardio and slight toning that strength training provided. A little over 3 months ago I started getting serious about gaining strength and muscle in the gym. I feel I’m doing good and can notice a significant size difference! I have the strength in my legs now to stay 3 gears higher when climbing the steep on MTB. That absolutely blows my mind and it’s driving me to get stronger!

I use the gym at work and am usually the only one in there. Most of my friends are bikers/runners and don’t strength train. I have nobody to help me out or bounce around ideas with and all the info online is sometimes confusing.

Before recently, two 25lb dumbbells was the heaviest I would lift, even on a bench press. I do take the occasional rest day but am rarely not doing anything.

I believe I have a good workout routine nailed down but would love it if someone more experienced could take a look for me!
    I guess I’m really looking for info on if I’m overworking anything, doing things twice, or am missing a major muscle group. I’m good on the cardio, just figured I’d throw up the whole routine.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers guys!

-----------------------
    So here’s what I do:
    -----------------------

Full body every other day.
    Cardio and occasional circuit training every other day.
    Sometimes I’ll do a MTB ride or run ON the gym days if the guys are going.
    Occasional rest day. Maybe one every two weeks.

---------------------
    FULL BODY DAY
    ---------------------

------Circuit 01------
    Seated Military Dumbbells Press 45lbs
    (x3 10-8-8)
    Leg extensions Hoist Machine 175lbs
    (x3 12-10-10)
    Weighted Back extensions Holding Plate 35lbs
    (x3 12-10-10)

------Circuit 02------
    Upright Row Dumbbells 45lbs
    (x3 10-8-8)
    Gator Hanging Bar straps alternating leg lifts (L+R)
    (x3 16-14-12)
    Leg Curls Hoist Machine 175lbs
    (x3 12-10-10)

------Circuit 03------
    Obliques Rotations Cable (#8) 99.5lbs
    (x3 10-10-10)
    Standing Vertical Chest Press cable (top pin #6 74.5bs)
    (x3 12-10-10)
    Decline Bench Dumbbells 35lbs
    (12-10-8)

------Circuit 04------
    Squat machine 260lbs
    (x3 12-10-10)
    Machine wide grip pull downs (ups?) 110lbs
    (x3 12-10-8)
    Flat bench press dumbbells 50lbs
    (x3 12-10-8)

------Circuit 05------
    Shoulder fly Dumbbells 25lbs
    (x3 10-8-8)
    Seated back row Machine 145lbs
    (x3 12-10-8)

------Exercise 06------
    Rear Delt Extensions cables (Pin16 height - #3 37lbs)
    (x3 12-10-8)

------Circuit 07------
    Triceps extensions cable (pin14 - #5 62lbs)
    (x3 12-10-10)
    Triceps pushdown cable (Top pin) - # 87lbs)
    (x3 12-10-10)
    Triceps Dips Bench (Bodyweight)
    (x3 12-10-10)

------Circuit 08------
    Front alternating Lateral Raises Dumbbell 25lbs
    (x3 16-16-16)
    Bicycle crunches on decline bench
    (x3 12-12-12)

------Exercise 09------
    Run the rack Dumbbells (Start @ 30lbs)
    (16 alternate every 5lbs up & down)

------Exercise 10------
    Laying Straight Leg raises (mat)
    (x3 12-10-10)

------Circuit 11------
    Glute donkey kicks (mat)
    (x3 12-12-12)
    Butt bridge barbell 45lbs bar shoulders on bench
    (x3 12-12-12)

------Exercise 12------
    Elliptical @ 20 mins Level 8

----------------------
    Every Other Day
    ----------------------

15K - 20K MTB Ride (approx 350M elevation gain)
    ------OR------
    7K - 9K Run (usually flat @ 4.75min/km @7k - 5.0min/km @9k)

Occasional bodyweight circuit training (18 – 20 mins)

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Looks fairly decent, but it seems like you have more pushing movements than pulling movements. It should be the other way around. You also need some sort of progression. Try to increase a set of each exercise by 1 more repetition each workout or every other workout. It would not hurt to do some sort of deadlift.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Sputlegin View Post
    I believe I have a good workout routine nailed down but would love it if someone more experienced could take a look for me!
    I guess I’m really looking for info on if I’m overworking anything, doing things twice, or am missing a major muscle group. I’m good on the cardio, just figured I’d throw up the whole routine.
    Your lifting workout looks like cardio to me. If your goal is to gain strength and build muscle I suggest doing a more focused fb routine, with volume spread reasonably over the course of the week. The goal should not be to cover every possible muscle from every angle and then some on each workout day. See the stickies on the Workout forum page for some examples of fb routines.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Looks fairly decent, but it seems like you have more pushing movements than pulling movements. It should be the other way around. You also need some sort of progression. Try to increase a set of each exercise by 1 more repetition each workout or every other workout. It would not hurt to do some sort of deadlift.
    Hey thanks! Ok I do see more pushing. I have never tried the deadlift. I'm back in the gym tomorrow so I will add that in. I will look to add more pulling.

It has been progressing in amount of weight and reps, those numbers are just where I am now (Just copied and pasted from my gym notes today). Most of the reps listed are my goal. Usually I exceed them. If I consistently exceed the reps, I adjust it for the next workout.

Thanks!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Doing that many supersets, you'll hit a wall really fast whether you're looking for size or strength. I didn't look at the individual exercises.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Your lifting workout looks like cardio to me. If your goal is to gain strength and build muscle I suggest doing a more focused fb routine, with volume spread reasonably over the course of the week. The goal should not be to cover every possible muscle from every angle and then some on each workout day. See the stickies on the Workout forum page for some examples of fb routines.
    Hey thanks for the reply!

Does it seem like cardio because of how I have it split into circuits? Or too many reps? Or just too many exercises in one day?
    I split it into circuits so I'm not wasting time during rest but get the recovery time for each exercise. I do almost everything to failure at today's weight listed above. With exception of the flat bench press. I have a naturally big upper chest so I'm not working that very hard. I could easily move that to two 65lb dumbbells with the same reps but am holding back.

I do want to build strength and muscle and I have become noticeably bigger after 3 months. I am also fine if it's cardio oriented as long as I'm achieving some size.

I use the gym while I'm working and find that a Full Body is the best as I don't have to go in every day or go back after work, especially when I'm off. It takes me just under 2 hours for the above. I do find I loose energy in the gym especially after the big lifts like the 260lb squat.

Also, I do find that I'm not sore at all at anytime during or after a workout or even the next day. Between kids, firewood, outdoor activities and the gym I don't sit down or relax much and am constantly moving. Could that be why? haha. We do get in our hot tub a lot too so maybe that helps? Or am I just not going hard enough?

Looking over the routines in the stickys now. Thanks!

---------------------------------------
    Just some info on me if it's needed:

35 Years old
    5ft 8.5
    156lbs (Usually hover around 150 before 3 months ago)
    I would estimate I'm around 13.5% body fat

I have definitely lost a nice bit of bodyfat so there could be close to 8 - 10lbs of added muscle maybe?
    3 months ago, I was wearing a size 30 jeans and they were snug. A small t-shirt was loose around my chest and arms.
    Now, I have to wear a belt for a size 28 jean and my small tees are very tight on my chest and arms.

Cheers!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does it seem like cardio because of how I have it split into circuits? Or too many reps? Or just too many exercises in one day?
    I split it into circuits so I'm not wasting time during rest but get the recovery time for each exercise. I do almost everything to failure at today's weight listed above. With exception of the flat bench press. I have a naturally big upper chest so I'm not working that very hard. I could easily move that to two 65lb dumbbells with the same reps but am holding back.

I do want to build strength and muscle and I have become noticeably bigger after 3 months. I am also fine if it's cardio oriented as long as I'm achieving some size.

I use the gym while I'm working and find that a Full Body is the best as I don't have to go in every day or go back after work, especially when I'm off. It takes me just under 2 hours for the above. I do find I loose energy in the gym especially after the big lifts like the 260lb squat.

Also, I do find that I'm not sore at all at anytime during or after a workout or even the next day. Between kids, firewood, outdoor activities and the gym I don't sit down or relax much and am constantly moving. Could that be why? haha. We do get in our hot tub a lot too so maybe that helps? Or am I just not going hard enough?

Looking over the routines in the stickys now. Thanks!

Just some info on me if it's needed:

35 Years old
    5ft 8.5
    156lbs (Usually hover around 150 before 3 months ago)
    I would estimate I'm around 13.5% body fat

I have definitely lost a nice bit of bodyfat so there could be close to 8 - 10lbs of added muscle maybe?
    3 months ago, I was wearing a size 30 jeans and they were snug. A small t-shirt was loose around my chest and arms.
    Now, I have to wear a belt for a size 28 jean and my small tees are very tight on my chest and arms.

Cheers!
    If you're just looking to lose weight, the endless amount of activity will help do that.

For muscle and strength building, the whole program is problematic. The 70+ sets, circuit style, cramming it into 2 hours, every other day, etc. You're gaining some strength because you're untrained, but your progress will be inefficiently slow over time. If you look at the novice programs in the stickies, they're probably 3x/week and +/- 20 sets per workout. They're designed for taking advantage of a novice's ability to progress quickly by doing a sensible # of hard sets.

Regardless, it's your body and workout - so if you feel good and are happy with your results, it's really up to you if you want to make a change. But anyone with any experience should think your program isn't productive for muscle or strength. PaulInKS above was too busy making shotgun shells and chewing mutton to read your post carefully when he responded.

If you're just looking to lose weight, the endless amount of activity will help do that.

For muscle and strength building, the whole program is problematic. The 70+ sets, circuit style, cramming it into 2 hours, every other day, etc. You're gaining some strength because you're untrained, but your progress will be inefficiently slow over time. If you look at the novice programs in the stickies, they're probably 3x/week and +/- 20 sets per workout. They're designed for taking advantage of a novice's ability to progress quickly by doing a sensible # of hard sets.

Regardless, it's your body and workout - so if you feel good and are happy with your results, it's really up to you if you want to make a change. But anyone with any experience should think your program isn't productive for muscle or strength. PaulInKS above was too busy making shotgun shells and chewing mutton to read your post carefully when he responded.
    Hey,

Thanks for replying again!

When I started getting serious 3 months ago, I was doing my usual routine with maybe 15 exercises every day. I thought I was missing muscle groups and just added everything that I wasn't doing from watching youtube and reading the forums. I have no idea what I'm doing as I have been cardio oriented my entire life. This is definitely a different way of thinking.

Loosing weight is not an issue for me. I usually always eat well and can drop 5- 10 lbs of fat easily. I struggled at first with eating enough for the weight training and would come close to passing out in the gym. I stuck with my usual diet and obviously it wasn't enough. I have that dialed in now, it's just the type of exercise and how to do it that I'm struggling with. Almost every forum I read or video I watch contradicts the other! hard to know what's the right thing to do.

I read through the beginner routine. So would you suggest I drop a lot of what I'm doing in favor of that for every other day or use the same workouts I have but split it up over two or three days instead? I don't mind adding time in the gym everyday. Better than wasting it on my routine if it's not going to work.

So what's the disadvantage of doing the exercises in circuits? Am I just simply not training the muscles enough with 3 sets? Should I be doing 4 sets instead of 3 like the beginner workout? If I could do 4 sets of each in circuits without burning out would that routine be ok or should I still cut out some exercises?

Obviously that would increase the time in the gym and I may have to split it up but if I could do the full body in say 3 hours without burning out would that be ok as well? Or is it just simply too much in one day?

I have seen some significant size gains so far. So basically if I understand what you're saying, once I overcome being "untrained" my progress will slow down and I will see less gain if I continue this specific routine?

Would you also recommend only 3x per week with more rest days?

Thanks again man!

Cheers

Hey,

Thanks for replying again!

When I started getting serious 3 months ago, I was doing my usual routine with maybe 15 exercises every day. I thought I was missing muscle groups and just added everything that I wasn't doing from watching youtube and reading the forums. I have no idea what I'm doing as I have been cardio oriented my entire life. This is definitely a different way of thinking.

Loosing weight is not an issue for me. I usually always eat well and can drop 5- 10 lbs of fat easily. I struggled at first with eating enough for the weight training and would come close to passing out in the gym. I stuck with my usual diet and obviously it wasn't enough. I have that dialed in now, it's just the type of exercise and how to do it that I'm struggling with. Almost every forum I read or video I watch contradicts the other! hard to know what's the right thing to do.

I read through the beginner routine. So would you suggest I drop a lot of what I'm doing in favor of that for every other day or use the same workouts I have but split it up over two or three days instead? I don't mind adding time in the gym everyday. Better than wasting it on my routine if it's not going to work.

So what's the disadvantage of doing the exercises in circuits? Am I just simply not training the muscles enough with 3 sets? Should I be doing 4 sets instead of 3 like the beginner workout? If I could do 4 sets of each in circuits without burning out would that routine be ok or should I still cut out some exercises?

Obviously that would increase the time in the gym and I may have to split it up but if I could do the full body in say 3 hours without burning out would that be ok as well? Or is it just simply too much in one day?

I have seen some significant size gains so far. So basically if I understand what you're saying, once I overcome being "untrained" my progress will slow down and I will see less gain if I continue this specific routine?

Would you also recommend only 3x per week with more rest days?

Thanks again man!

Cheers
    Your routine looks like something theoretical put together by someone who's never worked out before with no practical experience or understanding - I don't say that in a mean way, just confirming what you said was the case.

Rather than coming up with a bunch of ways to adjust your own program, I honestly think you'd be much better off dropping it and running F5, Vikings or AllPro from the stickies as written without adjustments at the start (or another proper novice program). You can always make adjustments or move onto an intermediate program after you make some real progress.

Really up to you though... if you're enjoying what you're doing and feel it's working, you can always keep doing it unless and until you feel otherwise. Good luck!

Your routine looks like something theoretical put together by someone who's never worked out before with no practical experience or understanding - I don't say that in a mean way, just confirming what you said was the case.

Rather than coming up with a bunch of ways to adjust your own program, I honestly think you'd be much better off dropping it and running F5, Vikings or AllPro from the stickies as written without adjustments at the start (or another proper novice program). You can always make adjustments or move onto an intermediate program after you make some real progress.

Really up to you though... if you're enjoying what you're doing and feel it's working, you can always keep doing it unless and until you feel otherwise. Good luck!

Could you help me understand why you believe it's so bad? Could you give me a general idea of what you think the major problem is?

Looking down through the Vikings program. There's sets in there with over 30 reps. I was doing a lot of reps at first with mine but I thought that the goal was to do a moderate amount of reps with heavier weight? I also see a lot of exercises missing that one would add throughout the months like I did.

Could you help me understand why you believe it's so bad? Could you give me a general idea of what you think the major problem is?
    I explained a bit above, but if you're tied to your routine because you made it up then stick to it and see how it goes over time. A lot of beginners need extensive proof that their own program isn't good before they're willing to do a proper one, which leads to endless Qs. It's prob easiest for you to continue on and see how it pans out - on the flip side, if you end up subjectively happy with the results then it doesn't matter what others think.

Looking down through the Vikings program. There's sets in there with over 30 reps. I was doing a lot of reps at first with mine but I thought that the goal was to do a moderate amount of reps with heavier weight? I also see a lot of exercises missing that one would add throughout the months like I did.
    You're not reading Vikings correctly, take the time to go through those programs rather than just glancing at them. That's total reps over the # of sets. Regarding "a lot of exercises missing that one would add throughout the months", not sure I agree that they're missing simply because you added them in your 3 months of training. There's many reasons why the stickied programs are drastically diff than yours, but you're working off of made-up premises of what works. As I suggested above - do what you feel is best and good luck. The world won't end either way, you just may take a lot longer to get where you want to be.

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Way too many isolation exercises.

Way too many reps of everything.

GENERALLY, to build strength, you want heavy, compound lifts for few reps per set.

You have 8, yes 8, movements that directly or indirectly involve your shoulders.

Only 3 leg exercises, including two isolation movements.

Way too much machine work.

That looks like a circuit to give someone a crash course in how all the machines work.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Way too many isolation exercises.

Way too many reps of everything.

GENERALLY, to build strength, you want heavy, compound lifts for few reps per set.

You have 8, yes 8, movements that directly or indirectly involve your shoulders.

Only 3 leg exercises, including two isolation movements.

Way too much machine work.

That looks like a circuit to give someone a crash course in how all the machines work.
    Ok thank you!

I was focused on shoulders for sure! I see what you mean by isolation exercises.

I used the machines because it was easier and quicker and I'm always solo in the gym. I don't use the bar as we don't have the equipment to use without a spotter. I will see if I can convert some to dumbbell use.

I will add more leg exercises as well.

Thanks!

Cheers