Registered User PrivateProperty's Avatar
    PrivateProperty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Switching from stength to hypertrophy- best plan for me??

I'm not a big forum guy unless I have a unique question, which I do now.

Lifting for 5 years, the first 3 just doing my own thing, applying some principles like free weights vs machine but no system, no great gains.

Then I found Mark Rippetoe, Starting Strength and became an adherent. I won't say disciple. I did that last few years. Actually at the beginning for 6 months I was very good at adhering and progressing and tracking and enjoyed it greatly. Then I got sick in an unrelated way and stressed out over career matters. I never built up the momentum and had to start over and never got back to up there. I've kinda given up on progressing. I'm still a believer. He knows his stuff. I also started getting migraines despite eating and drinking and sleeping, the 2 days after working out in proportion to how hard I trained.

While I got stronger, I couldn't see as much definition (hypertrophy I mean) and I also developed a tiny gut. I've always been lean. The gut is not huge. It's really quite small but it didn't use to exist.

I've been learning slowly what I want. I'm 38. I've come to realize while SS is great and gave me a system, taught me how and why to use the Barbell, introduced me to some interesting personalities and even taught me some physics, it's not what I want.

I want to feel more pump because it relieves stress and restlessness which I have in droves, and even anger and misery. I also want to be lean and look good over being strong (pretty boy lol), and not get migraines, though I'm not 100% sure what they're a function of. Even from a functiona POV it's not all about strength anyway. Muscular endurance matters to.

So I'm wondering what's the best program for me? I want to keep it as simple as possible. I'm basically doing his program still (low bar squats, OHP, deadlift, bench, and clean or rows or just pull ups), just with higher volume, more sets and reps, tracking it on the Strong app. It's going well so far but I just started. I love having a simple system to follow that I can trust.

Has anyone made a similar switch? I welcome any comments and criticisms. People don't understand but I love criticism, I love to be told the truth. I can't stand gaslighting. I wish I had had a father like Tywin Lannister that told me what the f is up instead of one like Ned Flanders

paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Take a look at the Viking Bare Bones routine in the stickies. It's probably similar to what you are currently doing.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Unless you want a complete change I'd go with a powerbuilding type approach with a bias towards hypertrophy.
    So pick 1-2 strength focused movements a day, follow up with some assistance aimed at that movement but hypertrophy too, and then 2-4 accessories using 10+ reps and various protocols like Myo reps, density work etc.

Simple example
    Squat 5 sets of 3
    Bench 7 sets of 3
    Cg incline bench 4 sets of 10-12
    Db Row, density work 7minutes, or similar to above.
    Barbell curl Myo set/ab work/rear delt giant set.

Another day
    Deadlift 5 sets of 3
    Overhead press(any variation) 4 sets of 10-12
    Lat pull or chins density or above
    Hamstring curls or nordics Myo or above
    More acc arms/abs/light back

This is if you want to keep some of the fun of heavy ish main movements while working on hypertrophy mostly, the main sets really don't need to go above an rpe 7/3 rir either so you're not grinding your ass off and feeling rough after like on SS protocols
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee