Sdogity is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Angry Why am I not gaining muscle

Ive just gotten back to bulking after the shutdown. Before i was around mid 150s. Now i’ve gotten back up and am around the low 150s but I am much more lean. The first two days of my bulk my body puffed up like a balloon and looked the best it ever has. Then after that my body shriveled up. I’ve eaten the same exact things day after day and I’m hitting my caloric intake while gaining some weight. Not sure if anyone would be able to give me some advice.

kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Sdogity View Post
    Ive just gotten back to bulking after the shutdown. Before i was around mid 150s. Now i’ve gotten back up and am around the low 150s but I am much more lean. The first two days of my bulk my body puffed up like a balloon and looked the best it ever has. Then after that my body shriveled up. I’ve eaten the same exact things day after day and I’m hitting my caloric intake while gaining some weight. Not sure if anyone would be able to give me some advice.
    First question is are your lifts going up? Down? Maintaining?
    The best personal trainer you can invest in is YOURSELF.

Originally Posted by kauseemcee View Post
    First question is are your lifts going up? Down? Maintaining?
    hmm, well the first time i benched after coming back i did 225x6 but felt like i could have definitely done it for 8. But my bench 1 rep max is still at 275 but it was a lot harder for me to get up.

kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hmm, well the first time i benched after coming back i did 225x6 but felt like i could have definitely done it for 8. But my bench 1 rep max is still at 275 but it was a lot harder for me to get up.
    So you've only been back to the gym for less than a week?

If you think you looked good after a workout, it was probably the blood in your muscles giving you a "pump". Doesn't last forever

So you've only been back to the gym for less than a week?

If you think you looked good after a workout, it was probably the blood in your muscles giving you a "pump". Doesn't last forever
    I’ve been back for 2 weeks now actually. Okay so a little background. I’m 18 and I’ve been lifting for about 3.5 years now. During school all I do is research lifting but right now i’m really stumped. Last November 1st I started taking lifting seriously. I went from 128-156. I gained more muscle than i ever had before. But middle of February i got really sick (probably covid) then lost everything and it took me about a 2-3 weeks to build back. By that time i started to feel like i wasn’t really building anymore muscle, so i started eating a bit more carbs. I didn’t notice any changes. But by that time everything got shutdown. Back then i was lifting 2x a day. Once in strength class and then at the gym after. I don’t think my problem is over training since i had taken a couple days off. But at this point the only thing i can think of is maybe add another full meal and revaluate after a couple weeks. Unless, do you have any other suggestions or ideas.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You probably need to eat more and not lift two times a day
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

I’ve been back for 2 weeks now actually. Okay so a little background. I’m 18 and I’ve been lifting for about 3.5 years now. During school all I do is research lifting but right now i’m really stumped. Last November 1st I started taking lifting seriously. I went from 128-156. I gained more muscle than i ever had before. But middle of February i got really sick (probably covid) then lost everything and it took me about a 2-3 weeks to build back. By that time i started to feel like i wasn’t really building anymore muscle, so i started eating a bit more carbs. I didn’t notice any changes. But by that time everything got shutdown. Back then i was lifting 2x a day. Once in strength class and then at the gym after. I don’t think my problem is over training since i had taken a couple days off. But at this point the only thing i can think of is maybe add another full meal and revaluate after a couple weeks. Unless, do you have any other suggestions or ideas.
    If you're looking at your body as a reference it's hard to tell if you're at a body fat percentage where you can't actually see the muscles.

In saying that, are you lean? Do you know how much you're eating calorie wise? Also, 2 weeks isn't nearly enough time to judge anything gym related really. Give it a solid 3 months of consistency with training and diet and reassess then I'd say

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    You probably need to eat more and not lift two times a day
    Lol well i’m not lifting two times per day anymore. Even then i’m pretty sure my body recovers a lot quicker compared to other peoples. But if it’s not food that’s my problem can you think of anything else?

If you're looking at your body as a reference it's hard to tell if you're at a body fat percentage where you can't actually see the muscles.

In saying that, are you lean? Do you know how much you're eating calorie wise? Also, 2 weeks isn't nearly enough time to judge anything gym related really. Give it a solid 3 months of consistency with training and diet and reassess then I'd say
    Yessir I happen to be quite lean. I’ll figure out how to post pictures on my profile. I would say probably around 10%.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    But if it’s not food that’s my problem can you think of anything else?
    You're not following a well structured training program.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    You're not following a well structured training program.
    yea but that’s not exactly a huge deal. I know many people that just go into the gym and just pick 3 exercises per body part then go to work. That’s how i do it.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    yea but that’s not exactly a huge deal. I know many people that just go into the gym and just pick 3 exercises per body part then go to work. That’s how i do it.
    Some people are that lucky. Most people are not.

If you're gaining 1-2 pounds per month, eating enough protein and sleeping enough you should gain muscle. If not, your training program is the problem.

Some people are that lucky. Most people are not.

If you're gaining 1-2 pounds per month, eating enough protein and sleeping enough you should gain muscle. If not, your training program is the problem.
    I gotcha. Will most definitely be keeping this in mind. I appreciate the feedback.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I gotcha. Will most definitely be keeping this in mind. I appreciate the feedback.
    how tall are you and what are your daily calories and macros
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

how tall are you and what are your daily calories and macros
    I’m 5’10 and i eat 3000 calories minimum. 150 protein, 365 carb, 97g fat.

I’m 5’10 and i eat 3000 calories minimum. 150 protein, 365 carb, 97g fat.
    damn that's one of the more responsible macros I’ve seen on here. Good job srs, I’d go with mrpb advice then
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

If you don't want to follow a good program right now try to train the main muscle groups (chest, shoulders, back, quads, hamstrings) twice per week with 5 to 9 hard sets per session.

damn that's one of the more responsible macros I’ve seen on here. Good job srs, I’d go with mrpb advice then
    Haha appreciate it. I like to think i’ve got a pretty good idea of what i’m doing, but there could be something i’m totally missing that i would totally want to learn.

If you don't want to follow a good program right now try to train the main muscle groups (chest, shoulders, back, quads, hamstrings) twice per week with 5 to 9 hard sets per session.
    That is exactly what I do. I do chest and back, arms and shoulders, then legs. 3 exercises per muscle group with 8-10 sets per body part

That is exactly what I do. I do chest and back, arms and shoulders, then legs. 3 exercises per muscle group with 8-10 sets per body part
    Try doing chest, medial delts and triceps on one day. Back, rear delts and biceps on the next day. Then a leg day. Do that twice per week.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 10-26-2020 at 04:34 AM.