fattyriceface is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A mess of a man - M(48) 230 - 1lb a week….

Grew up thin, ballooned out in my 20's. Mostly due to a penchant for gluttony, sloth, addiction to food and general sleepiness.
    Hey, I'm a writer so I can be forgiven for sleeping all day and trying to party all night? (sigh)

Suppose the plague has given us all time to do things we might not ordinarily get to. I just finished up a six month writing project and now looking at having a full year before I can travel again (travel writer). Guessing maybe thing will get back to somewhat normal by end of next year.

I've failed every way possible with my weight for the last 25 years. I've dieted, fasted, been a gym rat, tried slow but stead, lifestyle change, periods of stopping drinking, being vegetarian, only eating protein. ... If it came out - I was I tried it. Tho I never believed in the magic pill, or potion. I got big by sticking bad stuff in my mouth and not moving...

I spent the bulk of my adult life hiding from everyone. I never visited my family or friends because i was shy that I got fat, I've worked remotely because I don't like going into the office, my fat-suit (or the way I react to it) has ruined much of my life. But I still can't seem to find the discipline to unzip it.

Having said all that - with a FULL YEAR in front of me, that will pass just the same if I do something or nothing. I'd rather do something. Nothing heroic, but steady. I'd like to lose 1lb a week, every week. 50lbs would get me to 180lbs which would be just... indescribable really. Would help my inflammation, ego, and all the rest.

I have all the bells and whistles - treadmill, elliptical, bike, barbells, etc. I just need SOMEONE to hold my hand and tell me what to do to lose 1lb a week and I will just follow their advice like an army soldier. I've googled till my eyeballs deflated - with just more confusion. Move more, eat less?

If someone came along and told me:
    - Treadmill 45min in morning
    - Elliptical 20 min at night
    - Don't eat after 8pm
    - Weights Mon, Wed, Friday
    and you will lose 1lb a week - I would do it!

Can anyone suggest a basic routine to achieve my goals? I will report in monthly and send you good karma.
    Last edited by fattyriceface; 10-23-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Eat less.

Simple as that.

Find out what your maintenance calories are per day and eat less than that. Find foods you like to eat that fit into your "calorie budget" and learn how to reset your eating habits.

Except for the weight training, all of the rest of what you have mentioned is totally unnecessary.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    Eat less.

Simple as that.

Find out what your maintenance calories are per day and eat less than that. Find foods you like to eat that fit into your "calorie budget" and learn how to reset your eating habits.

Except for the weight training, all of the rest of what you have mentioned is totally unnecessary.
    Thanks,
    It's more difficult for me to maintain a eating restriction, than it is to make myself move. Having failed so many times - I know what works for me and doesn't. Denying myself food (or pleasure) isn't sustainable. However, making myself workout probably is. Sure, I can cut out a few of the worst offenders (here's looking at you Snickers Ice Cream bars), or restrict my eating after 10pm. But if I want to lose a pound a week by adding in exercise - that's what I'd like to do.

Exercise might have the added benefit of cardio health and strength training. Right now I get fatigued very easily when traveling etc.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Follow the same instructions in the DON'T LOOK PAST THE BASICS thread that's pinned to the top of the forum.

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fattyriceface View Post
    - Treadmill 45min in morning
    - Elliptical 20 min at night
    - Don't eat after 8pm
    don't fall into the trap of thinking that cardio itself burns fat, or that eating at night makes you fat

But if I want to lose a pound a week by adding in exercise - that's what I'd like to do
    be warned though, it's possible to do cardio and eat all the calories back

of course cardio is healthy and very recommended, but don't count on it to make you lose weight if you have zero idea how much you're eating. imo you should do a bigger "diet investigation" than just cutting out a few things...

sure you can try your approach too, just keep in mind it's very difficult to out-cardio a bad diet. generally it's easier to not eat 200 calories of junk than it is to move for 30-60 minutes

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Expect to feel hungry, that is part of weight loss. If you lose weight, it's only because you are burning more calories that you eat - and that process will make you feel hungry regardless of how you reach that state.

There are certain things you can do to keep it tolerable however... like only eating at a few fixed times per day. Don't snack, avoid foods that will trigger your appetite (highly flavoured, sweet, salty etc), stick to bulky low calorie foods like vegetables and protein foods like meat and eggs.

poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Little less then 6 months ago I weighed in at 230lbs, and felt exactly as you describe. Yesterday I weighed in at 177lbs. At first you may not have to track everything you eat, but you need to be mindful. Start getting your eating habits in check, and move. Walk, skip, run, do a single push up, whatever.

Originally Posted by poker27 View Post
    Little less then 6 months ago I weighed in at 230lbs, and felt exactly as you describe. Yesterday I weighed in at 177lbs. At first you may not have to track everything you eat, but you need to be mindful. Start getting your eating habits in check, and move. Walk, skip, run, do a single push up, whatever.
    Looked at your photos - amazing!
    Can you share exactly what you did to lose the weight?

How much did you workout each day / what exercise?
    Did you do weights?
    Were you tracking calories - what amount was your daily goal?
    What was your motivation?
    Single biggest thing that helped you lose weight etc?

Fantastic to see such a success. Would love to learn from your patterns..

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Did you do weights?

not him, but i'll point something out: even if he says something like "yeah i did weights and cardio for 2 hours per day and ate 2700 calories", it may not necessarily work for you

what i'm getting at is, you can ask for tips but i'm getting the vibes you're looking to copy the whole thing even though everyone's body responds differently to these things

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    not him, but i'll point something out: even if he says something like "yeah i did weights and cardio for 2 hours per day and ate 2700 calories", it may not necessarily work for you

what i'm getting at is, you can ask for tips but i'm getting the vibes you're looking to copy the whole thing even though everyone's body responds differently to these things
    Sure. But any plan is better than my no-plan at the moment. If it doesn't work - I'll adjust. i just need a place to start and following a plan militantly is kinda what I need right now. No wiggle room.

Sure. But any plan is better than my no-plan at the moment. If it doesn't work - I'll adjust. i just need a place to start and following a plan militantly is kinda what I need right now. No wiggle room.
    imo this is a pretty decent plan:

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    Eat less.

Simple as that.

so: find out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight (maybe try 2300-2500 for two weeks), pick a novice lifting program like fierce 5, eat filling foods but don't be afraid of eating something "unhealthy", adjust or keep your calories the same based on your weight loss after two weeks, cardio is optional but good for your health

then again, you said you don't want to fix your diet and would rather out-exercise it. well, lift weights a few times a week, do a boatload of any type of cardio and hope for the best. you don't need to do the same cardio, workout or a certain exercise that poker27 was doing though. i'll say it again: the extra cardio might just make you ravenously hungry
    Last edited by faithbrah; 10-27-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I gave you a very simple plan with the first response to this thread.

Eat less - weight train.

That is really all that is needed.

I've gone from (originally) 243 lb. down to 158 lbs. doing basically just that.

You can add in a bunch of superfluous "rules" if you want to but in the end all that is needed is a calorie deficit (to reduce the fat) + weight training ( to retain/build lean mass).

As to the foods, so long as you are getting a minimum of 150g protein (600 calories) and 70g (630 calories) of fats daily, the remaining calories can be essentially whatever you want them to be.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) poker27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Did you do weights?

I don’t have current photos up, but appreciate it haha. I’ll try to post a progress thread.

How much did you workout each day / what exercise? The first 2 months and 30lbs all I did was walk. My goal was to walk 10k steps per day, and I accomplished it.

Did you do weights? Gyms were closed at the beginning of my 6months, but I have been hitting the gym for the past 4 months when they opened.

Were you tracking calories - what amount was your daily goal? At the beginning I was not retracting, but I was cognizant of what I was eating and approx calories. Now that I’m leaner, I do track more, since I need to eat less to lose. I ‘want’ to be around 1500cals sun-thurs, and I’m ok doing 3-3500 ish Fri & Sat. But you do you.

What was your motivation? I didn’t have an epiphany or anything here. I just felt and looked like **** and started making changes. Ideally finally getting back to normal I would like some people to have the WTF look on their face when they see me for the first time in a year.

Single biggest thing that helped you lose weight etc? Tough question. I’ve always been a fan of intermittent fasting, IE I usually only eat one meal a day. It lets me indulge once per day, albeit I’m hungry the other 22 hours.

Get after it! How has your first day been?