Registered User userKP7W08AHLPI's Avatar
    userKP7W08AHLPI is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post Short Workout Routine

Hi everyone,

I'm a 24yo female, I've been lifting for a year and I've followed different programs like Starting Strength and Allpro.
    I'm 5'7 and I weigh 172 lbs. Before lifting I used to do a lot of cardio and my weight was around 155 lbs.
    Right now I'm on a caloric deficit, following a diet from a certified nutritionist with more carbs on training days and I believe it's well structured.

The problem is my workout routine. For the past few months I've been doing a 4 days split (upper/lower/upper/lower) made by a PT but it's very taxing on my body and also takes sooo much time, I spend like 2.5 hours in the gym, and after my workout I feel so tired like I can't even focus on studying, which is not good, and I haven't lost any weight (tho I think I gained some muscle)
    So, my idea right now is to do a 4 days split and I was thinking of doing 30 mins of heavy lifting, followed by 30-45 mins LISS. I feel like this could be the ideal way for my body to lose weight.
    I know diet is important but I really want to incorporate more cardio because I think it's effective for me, also I don't want to be dead after working out because that way I don't even feel motivated enough to be consistent.

So, I know I should be focusing on compound movements, I actually really enjoy them a lot, but I'm not sure about the actual plan. My main goal is to lose fat and weight, and I would be lifting just because I enjoy it and also because I don't want to lose muscle mass.
    I'm afraid SS would be too hard, also because I get bored if I'm not lifting heavy enough (I don't know if that makes sense to you)

I was wondering if I could do a split like this:
    Day 1: Squats + 1/2 isolation exercises for quads + LISS
    Day 2: Bench (maybe with DB?) + 1/2 isolations exercises for chest/tris + LISS
    Day 3: DF + 1/2 isolation exercises for glutes/hamstrings + LISS
    Day 4: OHP + 1/2 isolation exercises for shoulders + LISS

I don't know if it's a good idea, also because maybe I should also incorporate some lat pulldowns?? (I can't do pull-ups)
    Any help will be appreciated and I apologize if I said anything dumb !!!

(sorry for my username but I can't figure out how to change it)
    Last edited by userKP7W08AHLPI; 10-22-2020 at 06:13 AM.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by userKP7W08AHLPI View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm a 24yo female, I've been lifting for a year and I've followed different programs like Starting Strength and Allpro.
    I'm 5'7 and I weigh 172 lbs. Before lifting I used to do a lot of cardio and my weight was around 155 lbs.
    Right now I'm on a caloric deficit, following a diet from a certified nutritionist with more carbs on training days and I believe it's well structured.

The problem is my workout routine. For the past few months I've been doing a 4 days split (upper/lower/upper/lower) made by a PT but it's very taxing on my body and also takes sooo much time, I spend like 2.5 hours in the gym, and after my workout I feel so tired like I can't even focus on studying, which is not good, and I haven't lost any weight (tho I think I gained some muscle)
    So, my idea right now is to do a 4 days split and I was thinking of doing 30 mins of heavy lifting, followed by 30-45 mins LISS. I feel like this could be the ideal way for my body to lose weight.
    I know diet is important but I really want to incorporate more cardio because I think it's effective for me, also I don't want to be dead after working out because that way I don't even feel motivated enough to be consistent.

So, I know I should be focusing on compound movements, I actually really enjoy them a lot, but I'm not sure about the actual plan. My main goal is to lose fat and weight, and I would be lifting just because I enjoy it and also because I don't want to lose muscle mass.
    I'm afraid SS would be too hard, also because I get bored if I'm not lifting heavy enough (I don't know if that makes sense to you)

I was wondering if I could do a split like this:
    Day 1: Squats + 1/2 isolation exercises for quads + LISS
    Day 2: Bench (maybe with DB?) + 1/2 isolations exercises for chest/tris + LISS
    Day 3: DF + 1/2 isolation exercises for glutes/hamstrings + LISS
    Day 4: OHP + 1/2 isolation exercises for shoulders + LISS

I don't know if it's a good idea, also because maybe I should also incorporate some lat pulldowns?? (I can't do pull-ups)
    Any help will be appreciated and I apologize if I said anything dumb !!!

(sorry for my username but I can't figure out how to change it)
    Lat pulldowns are a perfectly viable substitute for pull ups and chin ups if you can’t do them.

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think you should stick with an upper/lower - you just need to lower the volume, how many working sets were you doing with this PT?

FYI - if you are not losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit. If this Nutritionist is claiming you are while knowing you are maintaining your current weight I would question their credentials

Registered User userKP7W08AHLPI's Avatar
    userKP7W08AHLPI is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by cmacken View Post
    I think you should stick with an upper/lower - you just need to lower the volume, how many working sets were you doing with this PT?

FYI - if you are not losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit. If this Nutritionist is claiming you are while knowing you are maintaining your current weight I would question their credentials
    I changed nutritionist and diet 3 weeks ago and so far I've lost 1 lb. The diet I was following before was given to me by the PT who also gave me the workout and I wasn't losing weight. I was doing ca. 20 sets per session.
    There's another reason why I want to try a routine like the one I mentioned: due to covid it's so annoying to move in the gym and switch machines/db/bb.

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by userKP7W08AHLPI View Post
    I changed nutritionist and diet 3 weeks ago and so far I've lost 1 lb. The diet I was following before was given to me by the PT who also gave me the workout and I wasn't losing weight. I was doing ca. 20 sets per session.
    There's another reason why I want to try a routine like the one I mentioned: due to covid it's so annoying to move in the gym and switch machines/db/bb.
    You would be better off doing something like the Fierce Five U/L https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...2916931&page=1 - it's still 15 set per session but a lot of accessory work, shouldn't take longer than an 1:15. What you suggested above is very poorly balanced.