QuillLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Am I working too much on the same day?

I’m 16 and I’ve been working out for a couple of years, albeit with a lot of interruptions because life gets crazy.
    I didn’t really get into the technicalities of lifting until a year ago, when I started learning about splits and specific types of training and everything that goes along with it, and I’m a quick learner so it didn’t take me long to get into a proper split.

Chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs, chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs, rest.

But I work out at school because we have a really good weight room, so I don’t have anywhere to lift on the weekends anymore. So I only have 5 days to work with.
    After a while, I eventually narrowed it down to the split I currently work with, which is:

Day 1: Chest, Triceps, & Shoulders
    Day 2: Legs, back, and biceps
    And they alternate every day, including Mondays. (So if I started out with Day 1 last week, I start out with Day 2 this week).

I do...
    14 working sets for chest (including 5 x 5 bench)
    9-12 working sets for triceps
    9-12 working sets for shoulders
    17 working sets for legs (including 6 sets for calves, so 11 working sets for the larger muscles)
    12-15 working sets for back
    9-12 working sets for biceps

So I have 32-38 working sets on Day 1
    And I have 38-44 working sets on Day 2
    Which doesn’t even take core into account

I mix up strength and hypertrophy, but I’m not sure if I have too many working sets. I want to be thorough, but I don’t want to fatigue myself or push past my body’s limit for recovery.

Any suggestions?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by QuillLifts View Post
    Day 1: 25% of your body
    Day 2: 75% of your body
    You should rethink what you're doing starting with that.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looks like you are doing too much on both days. Read some of the programs in the stickies like Fierce 5 or AllPro. You can do them in 5 days of the week. You can go hunting or fishing on the weekends.