Fatman2020 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Big guy looking for a weight loss program

I'm 5 ft 9, 400 lb 50 years old male.

I have worked out in the gym in the past (25 years ago). Then a year ago I did have a Planet Fitness membership but being a high risk individual for covid-19, I had to cancel my membership at the gym.

I was looking for some help and some suggestions on how I can burn fat and get healthy, I have sedatariry lifestyle.

Right now I have access to a 100-pound various weights with dumbbell and straight bar at home and a set of resistance bands the 1/4 inch thick ones by 1/2 wide all the way up to 2 inch wide.

Thanks
    Last edited by Fatman2020; 10-19-2020 at 12:26 PM.

kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Fatman2020 View Post
    I'm 5 ft 9, 400 lb 50 years old male.

I have worked out in the gym in the past (25 years ago). Then a year ago I did have a Planet Fitness membership but being a high risk individual for covid-19, I had to cancel my membership at the gym.

I was looking for some help and some suggestions on how I can burn fat and get healthy, I have sedatariry lifestyle.

Right now I have access to a 100-pound various weights with dumbbell and straight bar at home and a set of resistance bands the 1/4 inch thick ones by 1/2 wide all the way up to 2 inch wide.

Thanks
    To be honest, the workout won't matter as much as the diet. Obviously training has it's place in a proper fitness routine but since you are limited, I'd try to find a workout online that utilizes the equipment you already have.
    As for the diet which will be the main contributor to your fat loss, counting calories is the most fool proof way to go about it. My fitness pal works wonders and is probably the most popular app to use.

To me cardio and training routines are not the best things to rely on to lose weight. I'd rather eat less. It takes me around an hour to burn off a snickers bar worth of calories when in reality a little self control could have saved me an hour.

In saying that, it would definitely be beneficial for overall health to do cardio every now and then and to burn some extra calories.

I hope this helps you out and good luck!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You entered 29% as your bf in your profile. The hard truth is that at 400lbs, you are well over 50% bf. Correcting your diet should be your top priority.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by kauseemcee View Post
    To be honest, the workout won't matter as much as the diet. Obviously training has it's place in a proper fitness routine but since you are limited, I'd try to find a workout online that utilizes the equipment you already have.
    As for the diet which will be the main contributor to your fat loss, counting calories is the most fool proof way to go about it. My fitness pal works wonders and is probably the most popular app to use.

To me cardio and training routines are not the best things to rely on to lose weight. I'd rather eat less. It takes me around an hour to burn off a snickers bar worth of calories when in reality a little self control could have saved me an hour.

In saying that, it would definitely be beneficial for overall health to do cardio every now and then and to burn some extra calories.

I hope this helps you out and good luck!
    Thank you very much for your help and your suggestions I will look online and see what's available for the tools I have at home.

Good luck on your Fitness Journey!

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    You entered 29% as your bf in your profile. The hard truth is that at 400lbs, you are well over 50% bf. Correcting your diet should be your top priority.
    When I typed in all my information it's suggested 29%. I will go look and see if I can change that right now.

kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you very much for your help and your suggestions I will look online and see what's available for the tools I have at home.

Good luck on your Fitness Journey!
    You're very welcome, I look forward to a progress post!

Originally Posted by kauseemcee View Post
    You're very welcome, I look forward to a progress post!
    Will do...Thanks again!

IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IronJim835 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I recommend you have a physical with your doctor before you begin your exercise program. Make the changes in your lifestyle, healthier diet and more exercise. It will be difficult but if you ease into it you will be more likely to stick with it. When you feel the hunger pains remember your goals. You will stay motivated when you see the results on your scale and your clothes feel loose. Exercise as you drop the weight to tone your muscles. Good luck and stay strong.

tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. Learn to count calories
    2. Eat as youre now for 4 days whilst counting the calories of EVERYTHING eat. Get a daily average
    3. Drop your intake by 500 Cals. So if youre eating 3500 Cal/day. Aim to eat no morw then 3000. If your we8ght doesnt drop in the first few days youre either not counting honestly or you need to drop further.
    4. Once you do this for a month you will automatically learn where Calories are hiding and what food suits you. You'll look back and laugh at all the other stupid diets out there

Originally Posted by IronJim835 View Post
    I recommend you have a physical with your doctor before you begin your exercise program. Make the changes in your lifestyle, healthier diet and more exercise. It will be difficult but if you ease into it you will be more likely to stick with it. When you feel the hunger pains remember your goals. You will stay motivated when you see the results on your scale and your clothes feel loose. Exercise as you drop the weight to tone your muscles. Good luck and stay strong.
    I was at my doctors two weeks ago I'm healthy other than I'm 400 lb. Controlled high blood pressure, I can walk a mile a day without no problems.

My doctor recommended a plant-based diet, but I was reading on those it seems like people don't seem to stick with those.

I was just seeing on what type of diet you folks would recommend for the most weight loss. I didn't gain the weight overnight so I don't expect it to go away overnight.

Thank you for the words of encouragement!

Originally Posted by tommy4life View Post
    1. Learn to count calories
    2. Eat as youre now for 4 days whilst counting the calories of EVERYTHING eat. Get a daily average
    3. Drop your intake by 500 Cals. So if youre eating 3500 Cal/day. Aim to eat no morw then 3000. If your we8ght doesnt drop in the first few days youre either not counting honestly or you need to drop further.
    4. Once you do this for a month you will automatically learn where Calories are hiding and what food suits you. You'll look back and laugh at all the other stupid diets out there
    Thank you very much for the suggestions and great ideas I'll give them a shot.

kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kgriffith720 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was at my doctors two weeks ago I'm healthy other than I'm 400 lb. Controlled high blood pressure, I can walk a mile a day without no problems.

My doctor recommended a plant-based diet, but I was reading on those it seems like people don't seem to stick with those.

I was just seeing on what type of diet you folks would recommend for the most weight loss. I didn't gain the weight overnight so I don't expect it to go away overnight.

Thank you for the words of encouragement!
    I think the most important thing about your nutrition beyond tracking calories is making sure you find healthy foods you actually enjoy eating. i.e. not everyone wants to eat chicken and broccoli every day but there's plenty of other options just gotta find what you like and try to limit processed and frozen foods. Use the opportunity to become more skilled in your kitchen and focus on cooking meals for yourself. Best of luck!