Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Half Rack help- Legend vs Dynamic

Looking to buy a half rack and hoping to get some insight. The top two contenders are Legend and Dynamic Fitness. I can't post links, but there are images of both attached.

Legend 3142 Half Cage

Pros of Legend:
    -uprights are welded together rather than bolted. Don't know if this functionally makes a difference as far as stability, but I do think it looks better
    -small footprint with depth of only 55 inches

Cons of Legend:
    -holes only drilled on 2 sides of upright, so limited placement of attachment.
    -Welded construction less modular and somewhat limits additional add on options down the road
    -more expensive by than similar package from Dynamic, about 20% more

Dynamic fitness Titan G2 half rack

Pros of Dynamic:
    -Cheaper
    -bolt together construction and 4 way holes more modular to allow easier addition of attachments/upgrades
    - They also are offering a "short foot" version of the rack which pretty much eliminates the front stabilizing feet, with a total depth of less than 40 inches. The rack would then have to be bolted to the floor, which I'm ok with (my current 4 posted rack is bolted down). This would allow just a little more free floor space in my cramped ( about 150 sq ft. ) home gym

Cons of Dynamic:
    -The 4 way hole design and bolt together construction just doesn't look as nice to me, although it seems like bolt together is pretty much the standard for most racks now.
    -The normal version of the half rack has a slightly larger footprint with a depth of 60 inches, although I would probably opt for the short foot design and bolt down

Both have similar specs with 3x3 11 gauge construction and 1 inch holes, custom color options available.

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There have been recent reports that some of Legend's quality and QC has taken a hit. Whether this is related to the pandemic is unclear. As you mentioned, they do have smaller footprint, unless you elect to bolt down the Dynamic version.

I bought a Dynamic Gladiator half rack 3.5 years ago--it was their more economical 2x3 variation that they no longer carry. The finish on everything was flawless, and I've never seen a piece of equipment more carefully packaged. A lot of vendors stick stuff into a box or on a pallet and hope for the best. At the time--and I don't know if their shipping process has changed--they assumed the shipper is going to screw things up, and they focused on preventative measures to avoid damage in transit.

The two main downsides of Dynamic are the larger footprint, and I believe greater width. I think the outside width of their uprights is 49" while Legend is 48". My gladiator is only 47", which was the main reason I got it.

The downsides of Legend are possible QC issues, and a lack of plastic protection on parts. The Dynamic Titan, as I recall, uses plastic on the J-cups and spotter arms to protect the uprights from scratching.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #49 ()---() ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #11 ──<//>─<\\>──

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I looked closely at both Legend and Dynamic and went with a Rogue 90" x 90" HR-2. SML-2 with 90" HR-2 add on kit.

I would do that again.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigSteve7856 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What made you ultimately decide to go with Rogue?

It looked to me that the triangular plate attaching the uprights to the base would limit how low the spotter arms can be placed. I would like to be able to do below knee rack pulls. I've confirmed the Legend can go as low as 16.5 inches off the floor, which is perfect for my height. I feel like the Dynamic would be similar based off of the pictures.
    Last edited by BigSteve7856; 10-14-2020 at 09:05 AM.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BigSteve7856 View Post
    What made you ultimately decide to go with Rogue?

It looked to me that the triangular plate attaching the uprights to the base would limit how low the spotter arms can be placed. I would like to be able to do below knee rack pulls. I've confirmed the Legend can go as low as 16.5 inches off the floor, which is perfect for my height. I feel like the Dynamic would be similar based off of the pictures.
    The Rogue unit is super modular and they have a ton of accessories and it is shipped to your door by UPS (no freight).

The triangle plates do limit how low the spotter arms can be set but they can easily be cut/slotted to allow you to go about 4-5 inches lower.

I always valued my bars too much for rack pulls, prefer pulling from blocks.

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by weisgarb View Post
    There have been recent reports that some of Legend's quality and QC has taken a hit. Whether this is related to the pandemic is unclear. As you mentioned, they do have smaller footprint, unless you elect to bolt down the Dynamic version.

I bought a Dynamic Gladiator half rack 3.5 years ago--it was their more economical 2x3 variation that they no longer carry. The finish on everything was flawless, and I've never seen a piece of equipment more carefully packaged. A lot of vendors stick stuff into a box or on a pallet and hope for the best. At the time--and I don't know if their shipping process has changed--they assumed the shipper is going to screw things up, and they focused on preventative measures to avoid damage in transit.

The two main downsides of Dynamic are the larger footprint, and I believe greater width. I think the outside width of their uprights is 49" while Legend is 48". My gladiator is only 47", which was the main reason I got it.

The downsides of Legend are possible QC issues, and a lack of plastic protection on parts. The Dynamic Titan, as I recall, uses plastic on the J-cups and spotter arms to protect the uprights from scratching.
    I really wish Dynamic would bring back the Gladiator line in full. They gave me hope when they brought back a 2x3 squat stand, but they don't offer a plate storage tier to make it into a true half rack.

If I was picking between the Titan and the Legend I'd go Dynamic all the way, for the more modular nature and the fact that I much prefer bolt-together to welded. If you've got easy gym access and don't plan on moving your equipment much the bolted vs welded probably doesn't matter as much. Between the Rogue that Keyboard is talking about and the Dynamic I'd go with whichever one was cheaper to my door, because I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Rogue certainly does win on the accessory market. But it seems like dynamic has a pretty good selection too.

For the HR-2, it lists the depth at 48 inches but it looks like it will have to be offset from the wall by some amount to allow clearance for 45 plates on the back post. Any idea how much extra clearance I have to account for there (guessing around 6 inches?).

I priced out an HR2 comparable to the dynamic with the same accessories.

All together after you add the weight storage, spotter arms, and accessories the Rogue is about $150 cheaper. So not really enough to make a difference.

The HR2 does seem like another great option. Something is pushing me towards Dynamic but not sure why. Maybe just to the desire to get something a little different.

I had to go with a 90x90 HR-2 because the support bolts if using the 70" posts are where I put my j-hooks to squat/press. Might also interfere if you are shorter but want to use monolifts.

Something to keep in mind.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm satisfied with the Legend rack, but my decision was between Legend and the REP HR-5000, so I didn't think to consider the Dynamic or Rogue. The one nice thing I'll say about the Legend is that the frame does feel more rigid due to the fully welded sides, at least more rigid than the Pendlay I owned previously (bolt together). One potential benefit (aside from cost) that did catch my eye with Dynamic is the longer spotter arms, assuming that's truly 28" of safety space and not just an overall length including the rear pin.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Yeah if I went the hr2 route I would do the 90/108 option.

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    I'm satisfied with the Legend rack, but my decision was between Legend and the REP HR-5000, so I didn't think to consider the Dynamic or Rogue. The one nice thing I'll say about the Legend is that the frame does feel more rigid due to the fully welded sides, at least more rigid than the Pendlay I owned previously (bolt together). One potential benefit (aside from cost) that did catch my eye with Dynamic is the longer spotter arms, assuming that's truly 28" of safety space and not just an overall length including the rear pin.
    I think it’s total length. The schematic of the short foot version they sent me specifically shows the spotter arms extending 24.6 inches from the front uprights.

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Unless they updated it for the Titan G2 (they look identical to the previous generation arms I had) it's ~24" of coverage and 28" is the total length. I think they may now also be imported and not made in house, but don't quote me.

Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    Unless they updated it for the Titan G2 (they look identical to the previous generation arms I had) it's ~24" of coverage and 28" is the total length. I think they may now also be imported and not made in house, but don't quote me.
    I spoke with the rep about Titan G2 and ultra pro half racks, and their lat low pull low row combo. He told me all of those items were 100% made in USA.

Wouldn’t be shocked if some of the attachments were imported, but that’s what I was told anyways when I specifically asked that question.

I believe those are for the 2x3 squat stand, right?

He told me they did have some imported items, but all the things we were discussing were made in house.

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    Those are the Gladiator spotter arms--you can tell the tubing is 2x3. All the Gladiator attachments were imported, while everything else (a couple years ago, anyway) were made in the US. If you bring up the Titan spotter arms and J-Cups, the bottom of the page says "Made in USA", but it's not clear if that's a generic footer they put on most of their pages, or if it specifically pertains to those particular attachments.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #49 ()---() ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #11 ──<//>─<\\>──

I'm probably going to order the Titan spotter arms and j-hooks for my Titan rack, so I guess I'll find out. I'm like 95% sure the Titan j-cups I ordered were in a box labled made in China, but that was before the G2 was a thing.

swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I went back and forth between the Legend, Dynamic, and Rep HR-5000. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I ended up going with Rep and, once I had a few parts replaced due to damage during shipping, don't regret it at all. My only regret would possibly be not going all out and getting the Dynamic Ultra Pro. Those racks are awesome.
    STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS!!

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

▪█─-─█▪ Equipment Crew #71 ▪█─-─█▪
    []---[] York Barbell Club #32 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #66 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #6 ||---||

I also just got a quote on the new powerlift 3x3 half rack. Feature wise it seems pretty much identical to the dynamic, the main difference being it is constructed of 7 gauge steel instead of 11.

It is significantly more expensive than Legend, Rogue, or Dynamic.

Cant figure out how to link the picture from my phone.

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    'MERICA, I'm with Keyboard..... impossible to not buy chinese products, but if I have a choice..... I'll chose not-China
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]

Originally Posted by swimmer32 View Post
    I went back and forth between the Legend, Dynamic, and Rep HR-5000. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I ended up going with Rep and, once I had a few parts replaced due to damage during shipping, don't regret it at all. My only regret would possibly be not going all out and getting the Dynamic Ultra Pro. Those racks are awesome.
    The ultra pro certainly looks awesome. I’m not sure that the drop in racking system actually adds anything useful though besides looking good.

I like that the 1 inch holes with 2 inch spacing on the Titan should allow you to use rogue monster accessories down the road if desired.

But there is something about the aesthetics of the Ultra that seems to put it on another level.

I’m not sure that the drop in racking system actually adds anything useful though besides looking good.
    It's really good at making the uprights 1/16" too wide to fit my Mech monolifts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2" spacing on a drop-in rack is pretty awesome, too.

Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    It's really good at making the uprights 1/16" too wide to fit my Mech monolifts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2" spacing on a drop-in rack is pretty awesome, too.
    You have one of the ultra pros? Do you have the full rack or half rack?

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’m not sure that the drop in racking system actually adds anything useful though besides looking good.
    Drop-in style racks are just incredibly convenient, but sadly they are more difficult to pair with the 'latest and greatest' accessories as they are released on the market. That's one of the reasons why I liked the idea of moving to a standard 3x3 1" pin setup, but I do miss the ease of adjusting j-hooks and spotters on my previous Pendlay rack. It's just a tradeoff
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Full rack. No experience with the half rack other than seeing them in the showroom.

Drop-in style racks are just incredibly convenient, but sadly they are more difficult to pair with the 'latest and greatest' accessories as they are released on the market. That's one of the reasons why I liked the idea of moving to a standard 3x3 1" pin setup, but I do miss the ease of adjusting j-hooks and spotters on my previous Pendlay rack. It's just a tradeoff
    Never had a drop in style so I guess I don’t know what I’m missing.

I can’t stand the Westside hole spacing on my current rack. It’s impossible to set the safety pins correctly Without counting holes on all four uprights. Really want something with 2 inch hole spacing and cut in numbering

swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've used the half rack, and they are awesome.

Urban covered the only negative, which is that the style doesn't match the more standard 3x3, one inch hole, racks from other brands. If someone like Rogue or Legend comes out with an attachment that would work across multiple brands, it probably won't work for the Ultra Pro. It puts a little pressure on Dynamic to try to keep up with rack accessories, but I don't think that's their strength.
    STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS!!

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

▪█─-─█▪ Equipment Crew #71 ▪█─-─█▪
    []---[] York Barbell Club #32 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #66 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #6 ||---||

Originally Posted by swimmer32 View Post
    I've used the half rack, and they are awesome.

Urban covered the only negative, which is that the style doesn't match the more standard 3x3, one inch hole, racks from other brands. If someone like Rogue or Legend comes out with an attachment that would work across multiple brands, it probably won't work for the Ultra Pro. It puts a little pressure on Dynamic to try to keep up with rack accessories, but I don't think that's their strength.
    Another possibility I just came across...Prime fitness half rack. Priced similar to the Legend and Dynamic. I like the elevated front feet as it would allow me to do wide stance box squats, one of the few squatting type movements I can do without hip or knee pain. That's another reason i was considering the short foot version of the dynamic was to allow the wide stance while still being over the spotter arms.

Pic attached.
    Attached Images

Dynamic Titan G2 short foot

Schematic for the Dynamic Titan G2 short foot for anyone who is interested. I assume two anchors on the back posts would be plenty to keep it from tipping forward.
    Attached Files

Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did you get quotes for both?
    I'm asking because I did and Legend knocks a large % discount off the listed prices you see online. Legend was a good amount cheaper than Dynamic.

If prices are the same, Dynamic all day and night. If Dynamic is slightly more expensive, same. If Legend is significantly cheaper (which was the case I found), it's a tough call.
    Garage Gym Owner