2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2RDEYE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Safe to hit the gym with IT band syndrome?

I have concurrent episodes of IT band syndrome, I screwed up on leg day two days ago, I think I must've twisted a leg when squatting or deadlifting. I took a full day off using the leg yesterday, and today is my back day, I was wondering if it would be safe, or am I a sitting duck here?
    There is only one Hell: the one we live in now.

mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 2RDEYE View Post
    I have concurrent episodes of IT band syndrome, I screwed up on leg day two days ago, I think I must've twisted a leg when squatting or deadlifting. I took a full day off using the leg yesterday, and today is my back day, I was wondering if it would be safe, or am I a sitting duck here?
    TLDR: I think the gym cured my ITBS...

Full story:

I dealt with ITBS when training for the 2015 Marine Corps Marathon. Started once my long run mileage hit about 18 miles, and would then kick in on a run once the mileage hit about 6 miles. Never went to a doc, but after fighting it through the late summer for a few weeks cleared it up 100%.

First, there's the stretch where you cross your feet and lean opposite the sore leg - for me (right leg sore), crossed left foot in front of the right, lean to the left. Hold for 10 seconds, relax, repeat another few times. Much better than holding it for 2-3 sec.

Second, and what I'm convinced did the trick...hit the gym at work. Few sets of leg press - 3 sets of 10-12, enough to work a bit of a sweat - maybe 60-70% effort. Then same effort, 3 sets 10-12 reps of both hip abductor/aductor. After the weights, walked up the stairs in my building to my office. Problem knee was so loose and relaxed, it's like it was tight for so long (outside of the pain after 6+ miles), I got used to the tightness and didn't notice it. Just in time for my first 20 mile training run. Stopped to stretch (as above), but was more precautionary - the sharp pain never occured. Kept going in 1-2x a week for the same weights exercises. 21 miler, even less problems. Stretched as a precaution every few miles. MCM 2015 - not a single problem, never stopped to stretch.

Forgot - for full disclosure, I did take to wearing an IT band over my problem knee for all of this, but don't think that made much difference.

Best of luck!