CoolMeEddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Need a Workout Routine - For a Ankylosing spondylitis patient

Hello to every one in BB.com

I hope I won't offend any one by saying I'd really like advice from a professional trainer although of course I'm open to all suggestions in making this work for me. I'll give a brief explanation as to what my problem is and what I need help with shortly. I'm sure you'll understand why a pro-trainer is what I'm looking for.

A month ago I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. If you've ever seen Hunchback of Notre Dame, that's not exactly it, but I'll be pretty close to looking like one in about 20 years. I'm at stage 3 at the moment and at stage 4 that's when things get real bad, so to avoid that I'm really trying to make a difference. On top of that I'll be going through medical treatment to slow down the disease which is deteriorating my spine, but that's a different story.

You can say I'm lucky I was diagnosed at what is considered an early stage, since I can still do most of the work to help myself by properly exercising and dieting, but first signs are already here such as Sciatica and lower back pain, which generally comes from lifting some thing heavy or spending too much time at work desk sitting.

In my teens (I'm 31 at the time of writing this) I used to work out in the gym and that's some thing I remember/some what understand although by reading some preliminary info BB.com I realize some things and concepts have changed in the past decade.

I really prefer sticking with weights, but I'm limited to many exercises, particularly one's which involve lifting weight standing up. My goal is to lose weight in order to reduce carrying of unnecessary weight by my spine and obviously build muscle which will hold me straight for as long as it's possible. Long term goal is to feel healthy, reduce back pain, strengthen my back, improve posture, increase testosterone and eventually substitute fat for muscle. I have made a decision for myself to turn my life around and change all of my habits, but at this time with the knowledge I have on exercises I feel I may do more bad than good.

So what exactly I need help with? I need a routine that will get me going without injury. My doc suggested I stay away from jumping exercises and from lifting weights standing up. I can only assume this will apply until I strengthen my core and lower back. Exercises I was given are a general set for Sciatica patients (such as stretching exercises, crunches, etc) and I feel it's not enough for goals I'm trying to accomplish. I've been doing them for a month and while I feel a bit better, my back is still wobbly. By the time I'm done with the routine I barely get to sweating and even I understand that's not enough.

I've purchased an eliptical machine for cardio, but I've read in number of articles that body gets used to same exercise that are done all over again. Also I doubt it alone will help me build a strong body to last. So I'm confident I need some thing extra and would like to build some muscle in the process.

I've searched the forum for back pain routines and I haven't found a similar post, so I hope this thread is appropriate.

I'd like to thank you in advance for any advice. I'm sure it will be useful one way or another.

Some body characteristics if necessary:
    Weight: 213 pounds (97kg)
    Height: 5'9" (180cm)
    Lifestyle: passive (to be changed, have no doubt)
    So yea, I'm kind of chubby at this time.

Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CoolMeEddy View Post
    Hello to every one in BB.com

I hope I won't offend any one by saying I'd really like advice from a professional trainer although of course I'm open to all suggestions in making this work for me. I'll give a brief explanation as to what my problem is and what I need help with shortly. I'm sure you'll understand why a pro-trainer is what I'm looking for.

A month ago I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. If you've ever seen Hunchback of Notre Dame, that's not exactly it, but I'll be pretty close to looking like one in about 20 years. I'm at stage 3 at the moment and at stage 4 that's when things get real bad, so to avoid that I'm really trying to make a difference. On top of that I'll be going through medical treatment to slow down the disease which is deteriorating my spine, but that's a different story.

You can say I'm lucky I was diagnosed at what is considered an early stage, since I can still do most of the work to help myself by properly exercising and dieting, but first signs are already here such as Sciatica and lower back pain, which generally comes from lifting some thing heavy or spending too much time at work desk sitting.

In my teens (I'm 31 at the time of writing this) I used to work out in the gym and that's some thing I remember/some what understand although by reading some preliminary info BB.com I realize some things and concepts have changed in the past decade.

I really prefer sticking with weights, but I'm limited to many exercises, particularly one's which involve lifting weight standing up. My goal is to lose weight in order to reduce carrying of unnecessary weight by my spine and obviously build muscle which will hold me straight for as long as it's possible. Long term goal is to feel healthy, reduce back pain, strengthen my back, improve posture, increase testosterone and eventually substitute fat for muscle. I have made a decision for myself to turn my life around and change all of my habits, but at this time with the knowledge I have on exercises I feel I may do more bad than good.

So what exactly I need help with? I need a routine that will get me going without injury. My doc suggested I stay away from jumping exercises and from lifting weights standing up. I can only assume this will apply until I strengthen my core and lower back. Exercises I was given are a general set for Sciatica patients (such as stretching exercises, crunches, etc) and I feel it's not enough for goals I'm trying to accomplish. I've been doing them for a month and while I feel a bit better, my back is still wobbly. By the time I'm done with the routine I barely get to sweating and even I understand that's not enough.

I've purchased an eliptical machine for cardio, but I've read in number of articles that body gets used to same exercise that are done all over again. Also I doubt it alone will help me build a strong body to last. So I'm confident I need some thing extra and would like to build some muscle in the process.

I've searched the forum for back pain routines and I haven't found a similar post, so I hope this thread is appropriate.

I'd like to thank you in advance for any advice. I'm sure it will be useful one way or another.

Some body characteristics if necessary:
    Weight: 213 pounds (97kg)
    Height: 5'9" (180cm)
    Lifestyle: passive (to be changed, have no doubt)
    So yea, I'm kind of chubby at this time.

Hi there, Ive been diagnosed with AS for more than 15 years now, currently on biologics and mtx, and going to the gym is one of the most important things I do for rehab!!!

I do elliptical machine at least 5 days per week, it helps me warm up all my joints and losen them up to lift weights.

The number one thing you need to avoid here is doing any type of movements that are high impact, most of the weightlifting exercises are low to no impact at all.

Having strong and flexible muscles and joints will help you a lot with AS.

Take it slow with weightlifting, listen to your body specially your joints, there is no specific routine for AS, I would suggest you keep it in the high rep range to avoid putting more stress on the joints.

I do the common type routines but with high rep ranges for example, Day 1: Chest and Triceps 3 exercises each, 3 sets of 14 reps, Day 2: Back and Biceps 3 exercises, 3 sets and 14 reps, Day 4 Shoulders 4 exercises 3 sets each 14 reps, Day 5 Legs 4 exercises, 3 sets and 24 reps each (I do a very high rep range in order to use much less weight and avoid putting extra stress on my back and joints)

Try machines only for the first couple of weeks until you feel confortable going to the free weight area...

CoolMeEddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi KMU,

Thank you for your feedback and sorry I did not respond sooner. After three weeks of this post being vacant I wasn't sure if any one will respond. I had just logged in, you can almost say by accident and your answer really got my hopes up.

You've mentioned your treatment, it's some thing I was recommended as well, but I refused it. I figured I lose weight and become some what active as the medication's don't really cure any thing but simply postpone the progression but also kills the kidney. I figured I have a ****ty back instead of both by the time I'm older :-) but I've also heard some really good results with just working out. BTW, do you feel being influenced by AS at all or your current lifestyle just doesn't allow for it to show?

I'm gonna get to planning my workouts right away and as you suggested I will keep them high rep but lower weights to keep it safe. That's how I felt, but to be honest just wasn't sure about lifting weights at all, although I do feel most comfortable doing that in particular. Jumping jacks is just not for me.

I've sent a friend request if you don't mind and perhaps we can exchange messages some time if a hit a brick wall or need some type of advice?

Again thank you! Your reply is very important to me and I do appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers!

Georgios04 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello to all! I know...it's 2019...3 years of silence in this thread...😋 but.....
    Anybody here diagnosed with AS?

jam46283 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Georgios04 View Post
    Hello to all! I know...it's 2019...3 years of silence in this thread...😋 but.....
    Anybody here diagnosed with AS?
    Resurrecting.. lifted for about 10 years, (last 5 with AS) prior to pain forcing me out about a year ago (26y.o.). Was diagnosed with AS after a lengthy process about 4 months ago. Cleaned up my diet over the last few months and going starch-free as much as possible. Trying to decide whether or not to wait until after COVID vaccines to get on an ANTI-TNF.

Anyway- just wanted to let y'all know you arent alone. Glad to be diagnosed after years of pain and being told to push through it, but anxious of the future.. Cheers

Georgios04 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jam46283 View Post
    Resurrecting.. lifted for about 10 years, (last 5 with AS) prior to pain forcing me out about a year ago (26y.o.). Was diagnosed with AS after a lengthy process about 4 months ago. Cleaned up my diet over the last few months and going starch-free as much as possible. Trying to decide whether or not to wait until after COVID vaccines to get on an ANTI-TNF.

Anyway- just wanted to let y'all know you arent alone. Glad to be diagnosed after years of pain and being told to push through it, but anxious of the future.. Cheers
    Thank you for your answer.
    Stay strong and positive.