Registered User TheAndyThompson's Avatar
    TheAndyThompson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Strange issue with pecs spasming and cramping

I am 35 y/o and have been a serious lifter for 20 years.

Last year at 34 was the strongest I've ever been in my life. I was routinely benching 225 for 20+ reps and had never felt better. Anyways I had to take 3 weeks off last September and a few weeks back into it I started getting cramps on my outter pecs on chest day as I'd begin to warm up. Whether it was swinging my arms, benching the bar, warming up with 135- my outter pecs would cramp up. The first time it happened it scared the hell out of me and I called it a day. 10 days later they weren't so bad and I benched anyways and they disappeared as I got into my working weight.

Fast forward a year and it's still happening. It's been happening on and off for a year now. Some days they are bad enough to scare me out of lifting because I don't want to tear a pec but on days when they aren't bad I cautiously lift through them. They are NEVER an issue after I lift. It's always the day before or the day of my chest workout.

I've never touched gear, my hydration and electrolytes are always on point, I supplement magnesium, I stretch all the time, I get deep tissue and ART at least every 3 weeks- and absolutely nothing has resolved it. I got an MRI and structurally there is nothing there and my physical and message therapists can only give me a shoulder shrug.

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this? Thanks so much in advance!

Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000) Zschnack87 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What about potassium? I'm 33 and haven't really dealt much with this but I do have a tendency for my calves to seize up in a cramp but thats usually when I'm sleeping. Only thing else I can suggest is to maybe take a few more weeks off and let it heal. Maybe it damaged something and even though you did take a few week break, and started lifting lighter, its not allowing it to the heal all the way. If all those professionals can't find something, maybe its mental? Perhaps you had a bad lift that one day and now think its going to happen a lot and your mind is tricking your body? I don't know. I wish you luck and hope you get it figured out!
    Progress, not perfection. One day at a time.

Current Workout Program: Upper / Low

Current Supplements: Redcon1's Grunt, Total War, and Big Noise. Dymatize Fruity Pebbles. Fish Oil and Walmart Brand Multi-Vitamin.

Part-Time Manager of a Small Town Gym!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Sometimes a shortened range of motion can lead to cramping.

For example, I used to have a hamstring cramping problem when driving a car for long periods. As soon as I switched from doing conventional deadlift to RDL and doing some machine hamstring work, it went away and hasn't come back.

Perhaps you could try something similar using (for example a pec deck or cable crossover). Aim to start the movement from a full stretch in your pecs and finish by fully closing your arms. Keep movement smooth but with significant resistance (i.e. struggle to get 15 full reps)