Thread: Row machines

kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Row machines

Like a lot of people I've been adding to the home gym. I've just picked up an elliptical (ProForm Hybrid Trainer) and they also have a row machine that is in stock. I've never used a row machine, is there any benefit to it out side of aerobics? Can you use them for tricep pulls and the like? I figure if there is enough resistance it should work, right?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You'll end up breaking it if you try to use it for resistance training and it's not really needed in a home gym unless you really like rowing for cardio. Just get a simple plate-loaded cable pulley to hook onto your power cage, tree, or something similar. Much cheaper and takes up less space.

kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kyle38 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You'll end up breaking it if you try to use it for resistance training and it's not really needed in a home gym unless you really like rowing for cardio. Just get a simple plate-loaded cable pulley to hook onto your power cage, tree, or something similar. Much cheaper and takes up less space.
    Your probably right. There is a bunch of stuff on the wish list. Leg press is number one, but haven't been willing to spend the money yet.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kyle38 View Post
    Your probably right. There is a bunch of stuff on the wish list. Leg press is number one, but haven't been willing to spend the money yet.
    Unless you have back issues, the squat is just as effective as the leg press and costs a lot less. If you DO have back issues, the leg press can be a godsend.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In the gym I use a row machine for cardio and warmup. Think of it as high rep light weight work. Don't get me wrong, when you are rowing hard there is tension in the legs, back and biceps. Most people don't last long because the heart rate elevates quickly. It's a useful machine in the gym but I could not justify a home purchase unless it was something I knew I really enjoyed.

Originally Posted by N0stradamus View Post
    I own a WaterRower M1 HiRise and it's quite possibly the greatest investment I've ever made to my home gym. This is the commercial grade model.

Most gyms have the Concept 2. And I do agree that the C2 is the gold standard for rowing machines. However, for my home gym, the WaterRower is simply a better option as it is quieter and more fun to row on.

I can easily row for an hour just watching a movie or youtube clips on my PS4 and get a great workout.

Also, for guys like me who suffer from "glute amnesia" where it's near impossible for me to get a good glute workout on the leg press, the rowing machine helps me "awaken" my glute so that when I hit squats or the leg press, i get a great glute workout.

Also, the reason why so many people give up on rowing is because they just don't know how to engage their legs, some people will swear up and down that the rowing is an upper body workout when it's really not, it is indeed a lower body dominant workout.

Here's how I learned to engage my legs: not using the foot straps. By not using the foot straps, this forced my mind to learn how to properly engage my core and arms during the drive phase to prevent myself from falling backwards and falling off the machine - it's an instinctive survival reaction. As I became more comfortable not having the foot straps on, I became more confident in driving faster and harder with my legs.

I have zero regrets with my purchase.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll take a deeper look at that.

VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kyle38 View Post
    Leg press is number one, but haven't been willing to spend the money yet.
    The main thing is you are worth it. But we all have to figure budgets and space.

Lot's of folks around here with leg press in their home gym. Don't hear many regretting the purchase.
    “Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.” – Joseph Pilates

A bodybuilder uses the weights to work the muscle.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Unless you have back issues, the squat is just as effective as the leg press and costs a lot less. If you DO have back issues, the leg press can be a godsend.
    If you have back issues, unilateral elbow planks and deadbugs are THE godsend.

ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    you need to wear a support corset, only take off for training

TimHall2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd have to agree that this is probably overkill for a home gym and not necessary.