Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    summer recomp/maintenance 66jzmstr's Avatar
    66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    REST DAY

Today's weight: 207.8

Lunch: Tillamook beef jerk, string cheese, part of a red bell pep, two Greek yogurt cups, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: A cup of pulled pork, big salad topped with pulled rotisserie chicken breast, a bag o' Quest, spicy kimchi. For dessert, some dry-roasted peanuts with a double-size Dymatize vanilla casein shake.

Totals: 2000cal (269P, 79C, 70F: 54% of calories from protein)

Notes
    * Still irked about yesterday's bench.
    * First-world problems, but I was having issues with macro targets in my MFP app. Ponying up the annual fee for Premium, I got great customer service. Apparently, my version was two years old, so I updated it, fixing my issue, but then supplanting my handy daily nutritional totals homescreen with some completely unwanted ********-style home screen. One customer service person though said that if I go to the "Diary" tab, rotate my screen to landscape, and scroll down, I'll see daily totals. Not as handy as the homescreen from two years ago, but a next-best solution, for sure.
    * Up one pound from yesterday. Lesson 1: Don't freak because weight loss isn't linear. Lesson 2: Lots of salt and (pita) bread in last night's dinner, so I'm not too surprised. Still moving in the right direction on the whole, though.
    Diligence, patience, persistence.

66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 66jzmstr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    TRAINING DAY

Today's weight: 207.2

Lunch: Leftover pulled rotisserie chicken breast, jerky, a cup of Greek yogurt, a banana, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: 11oz of spicy ahi poke, baby tomats, a bag of Quest protein chips, and one cucumber Dry soda.

Dessert: A big bowl of Magic Spoon Fruity protein cereal with lo-cal vanilla almond milk, one Bartlett pear, a big PB Fit powder & casein protein fluff with chopped strawberries mixed in.

Totals: 2499cal (354P, 138C, 63F: 57% of calories from protein)

Workout B
    Squats: 260x8, 235x11, 210x12
    Weighted Chins: +45x8 (252.2lbs), +20x10 (227.2lbs), BWx11 (207.2lbs)
    (weighted standing calf raises and barbell bicep curls for dessert)

Notes
    * My top set of squats were tough. Something felt different. Bar speed was slower, and perhaps these were slightly more quad/knee-dominant than my usual. (Last week's top set was 255x10 and not as great a chore.) Subsequent sets were grueling but not as bad. I wanted 9 or 10, but the "goal" is only 8, so I'll do 265lbs next Saturday.
    * I'll try to keep total (body weight plus added weight) in mind for weighted chins going forward. Today I felt light and quick, even hanging the 45lb plate.
    * The squats and chins must've been draining because putting down over 350 grams of protein (protein PR!) tonight was a cinch. I don't even feel full. Satisfied, but far from distended.
    * PB Fit peanut butter powder is awesome for protein fluff. Glad I ordered it.
    * Magic Spoon Fruity is a total Fruit Loops clone. I love me some Blueberry, but I think Fruity has it beat.
    * Washington State voters voted to end Daylight Savings time a year ago, I believe, but Congress has been ... uh ... "(not) doing" other things this year? I hope it eventually goes through, but no complaints on the extra hour of sleep tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by 66jzmstr; 11-06-2020 at 08:32 PM.

REST DAY

Today's weight: 206.6

Lunch: Rotisserie chicken breast in barbecue sauce, cup o' skyr, cup o' Greek yogurt, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: A big Martin's omelet, oven-toasted veggies. For dessert, a big bowl of protein fluff (Dymatize vanilla casein with two scoops of PB Fit peanut butter, mixed in water then chilled), some dry-roasted peanuts.

Totals: 1999cal (284P, 103C, 45F: 57% of calories from protein)

Notes
    * Omelet Notes to Self: 1) Jerky as a bacon crumble substitute is great, but don't use jerky that has any sweetness to it: Go with a salty, peppery jerk, instead. 2) Salt the eggs & egg white mix both before cooking and after, not just after. 3) Be prepared to 'cook the omelet twice' as the cottage cheese adds quite a bit of water to it. 4) Italian parmesan, no matter how damn authentic and tasty, didn't go well on an omelet, at least not as good as the low-cal Mexi-mix of shredded cheese from Trader Joe's.

REST DAY

Today's weight: 207.2

Weekly Progress
    Starting Weight: 218.4
    Week 1 Average: 214.4
    Week 2 Average: 211.7
    Week 3 Average: 208.4
    Week 4 Average: 207.3

Lunch: Assorted jerky, string cheese, cherry tomats, two cups o' Greek, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Smoked apple chardonnay chicken sausage with some dijon, chicken chunks in Greek yogurt cucumber ranch, bag o' Quest, half a yellow bell pep, two different kinds of kimchi. For dessert, some dry-roasted peanuts along with a bowl o' casein blueberry fluff.

Totals: 2012cal (262P, 101C, 63F: 52% of calories from protein)

Notes
    * Four weeks in, feeling well. There was less weight loss this week at only 1.1lb loss when comparing weekly averages (shown above), but that's fine by me. I'm feeling leaner, belt is looser, and my lifts are either gaining or holding. With the higher protein intake, hunger has not been an issue whatsoever. So far, so good.

Crazy busy yesterday, so here's the write-up a day late:

TRAINING DAY

Today's weight: 206.8

Lunch: TJ's Butter Chicken with extra chicken chunks added, two Greek yogurt cups, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Big omelette (sans cottage cheese this time) with some leftover pulled pork, toasted Normandy veggies, and a DRY cucumber soda.

Dessert: Casein protein fluff with PB powder and almond milk. Some peanuts.

Totals: 2504cal (316P, 141C, 74F: 50% of total cals from protein)

Workout A
    Deadlifts: 385x5, 345x5
    OHP: 150x5, 140x7, 130x9
    (two sets each of face pulls and lateral cable flies for dessert, then one-legged bridges for extra low-back work)

Notes
    * By far and away my *worst* training day on this cut. Honestly, it might've been six reps for my top set of deadlifts, but I was so damn focused on my form that I couldn't tell you, so I'll err on the side of caution and stay with five.
    * Even more frustrating was that I felt good going in to the gym, and my last warm-up, a single at 355, felt great with good bar speed. The final rep of my top set was an absolute grind. I felt sapped for the rest of the workout, even the next set, of which I hit for nine reps at the same weight last week but barely got five on this day.
    * The awful performance carried right over to the press. 147.5x8 last week. A grind, but eight reps it was. Yesterday? Added 2.5lbs with my fractional plates and barely got five.
    * I realize some days just aren't meant to be in the gym, even if you feel good and are focused. I wish I knew why, though.

REST DAY

Today's weight: 206.8

Lunch: Steak jerky, some chicken breast chunks, string cheese, two cups o' Greek, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: A different - more carnitas-style - pulled pork. Good stuff. bag o' Quest, half an orange bell pep, two different kinds of kimchi. For dessert, some dry-roasted peanuts along with a big vanilla casein shake and a Halo PB swirl pop.

Totals: 1993cal (257P, 83C, 79F: 52% of calories from protein)

Notes
    I feel good, and I'm looking forward to redeeming myself in the gym tomorrow after tomorrow's awful show.

TRAINING DAY

Today's weight: 205.8

Lunch: TJ's butter chicken with some Costco rotisserie chicken breast thrown into le sauce, two cups o' Greek, big ol' Trutein shake.

Dinner: Almost one pound of Costco ahi wasahi poke, a bag of Quest protein chips, and a whole, sliced orange bell pepper, and a can of Dry cucumber soda.

Dessert: One Bartlett pear, a double serving of Magic Spoon Fruity (protein version of Fruit Loops cereal clone) in low-cal almond milk, a small bowl of Halo Top peanut butter cup ice cream, and a double shake of vanilla casein with hefty helping of peanut butter powder mixed in.

Totals: 2497cal (318P, 172C, 66F: 51% of calories from protein)

Workout B
    Barbell Rows: 207.5x10 REP PR, 197.5x11, 187.5x12
    Bench Press: 220x7, 210x8, 200x9
    (bodyweight dips and overhead tricep cable work for dessert and one-legged bridges for extra low-back work)

Notes
    * Last week's bench performance was horrid, as I tried to go super-arched, bridge back after watching the Thrall vid. No knock on him, as I'm sure I did it no justice, but I felt minimal pec work and I was way off my target of eight reps with barely reaching six. Today's bench work was still shy of my target but much better on the top set and overall volume, as I resumed my normal form, which is more Starting Strength-aligned.
    * My pecs still don't feel as worked as they usually would, so a swapped out the standing cable chest flies, which always felt corny and vain, for some bodyweight dips to hit the pecs some more as well as my lagging tris. I hadn't done dips in years, so I took it easy, but they felt great.
    * Possibly my first time rowing over bodyweight poundage for volume. Not a major achievement, but a nice first, nonetheless.
    * Dessert was killer. A heap of PB Fit in the vanilla casein shake was really good. Everything else was, too. I usually don't snap me fottergrafs with mah soul-stealer when it comes to dessert, but I had to make an exception tonight.

REST DAY

Today's weight: 206.6

Lunch: Steak jerky, string cheese, small tomats, cup o' Greek, cup o' skyr, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: A Trader Joe's apple harvest salad covered in pulled rotisserie chicken breast, some leftover carnitas meat, a bag o' Quest. For dessert, a double shake of salted caramel Trutein with some dry-roasted peanuts.

Totals: 2006cal (256P, 94C, 71F: 51% of calories from protein)

Notes
    * A got a new two-pounder of Trutein - salted caramel. Not too salty, but enjoying it with some dry-roasted peanuts gave it some saltiness. Good flavor, but gets thin faster than other Trutein flavors, so I'll just use less water next time.
    * Looking forward to squats tomorrow.

TRAINING DAY

Today's weight: 205.2

Lunch: Leftover pulled rotisserie chicken breast, jerky, two cups of Greek yogurt, some raspberries, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Nearly a pound of sliced beef sirloin, nearly a pound of toasted Normandy vegetables, a bag of Quest protein chips, and one cucumber Dry soda.

Dessert: A sample of Trutein brownie batter power pudding, a Bartlett pear, a Halo PB swirl, and a big PB Fit powder & vanilla casein protein shake.

Totals: 2497cal (326P, 158C, 63F: 52% of calories from protein)

Workout C
    Squats: 265x9, 240x11, 215x12
    Weighted Chins: +50x7 (257.2lbs), +22.5x9 (227.7lbs), BWx10 (205.2lbs)
    (barbell bicep curls for dessert; ran out of time for calves as gym closes at 5pm on Saturdays)

Notes
    * My top set of squats last week was 260x8, so I added 5lbs andone rep on my top set. (Same number of reps for second and third sets but at an extra 5lbs on the bar for each.) I'm even more stoked that I really focused on form to get my hips doing more work than last week. Last week my weight was too far forward, and those squats were far more knee-dominant and taxing. The DOMS were kinda nice but not when knowing it was for lack of form. Lots of hip drive this afternoon, and staying below parallel. ( noticed that there's far better rebound out of the hole when I've got my weight farther back as well. Good stuff.
    Last edited by 66jzmstr; 11-14-2020 at 09:44 PM.

anonymous

Talking Hey there

Hey man, I've just finished your post and I must say im very impressed man!

It is amazing what you have accomplished so far and all the loggings are easy to read.

I have my own food schedule, set for 2200kcal (2400 is my TDEE) and im in a slight bulk now because I want to get more strength/mussclemass at this time. And moving from a deficit into a surplus takes only a few changes (as healthy as possible ofc.)

I am looking forward to your progress and I will regularly check in 😁👍

Originally Posted by SirLotOfExcuses View Post
    Hey man, I've just finished your post and I must say im very impressed man!

It is amazing what you have accomplished so far and all the loggings are easy to read.

I have my own food schedule, set for 2200kcal (2400 is my TDEE) and im in a slight bulk now because I want to get more strength/mussclemass at this time. And moving from a deficit into a surplus takes only a few changes (as healthy as possible ofc.)

I am looking forward to your progress and I will regularly check in
    Thanks for checking in and thanks for the kind words, man!

I read 2200cal, but I also read "slight bulk." Maybe you're doing the latter and planning to then move into the former?

I look forward to bulking but 1) I have to remind myself that leanest bulks essentially involve the same foods one would eat on a cut, and 2) most sources I follow say don't bulk until one is near 10% body fat, so I've got a ways to go. It will happen for me - just not yet.

Thanks again, and feel free to leave a comment anytime! Best of luck, man!
    Last edited by 66jzmstr; 11-08-2020 at 09:53 PM.

REST DAY

Today's weight: 205.4

Lunch: Steak jerky, string cheese, small tomats, two cups o' Greek, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Leftover carnitas, leftover rotisserie chicken breast on top of a salad of mixed greens, small side of kimchi, a bag o' Quest. For dessert, a blueberry-filled vanilla casein protein fluff bowl with some dry-roasted peanuts.

Totals: 1998cal (267P, 97C, 63F: 53% of calories from protein)

Notes
    * Woke up at 4am because nature called, and managed to *slightly* tweak my lower back somehow. Immediate pain and heat when it happened, and I felt it radiate around to my front left hip. Definitely left side, around L4/L5. I can tell my back is stronger than before though, because this should've been higher on the pain scale throughout the day, but it was pretty minimal. Prolonged sitting while drafting a proposal, dog walks, vacuuming the house, and even mowing the lawn all proceeded with no issues, and I didn't have to move gingerly about the house like a geriatric invalid, as I usually would upon tweaking my back only hours earlier.
    * Regardless, two immediate considerations: 1) Time to use up my annual chiropractor visits. My man is damn good and competes in powerlifting to boot, so he understands lifters - not to mention his adjustments are strong and have really helped me over the past over the last 17 years. 2) My deadlifts (Tuesday) and back squats (Saturday) might be at deload poundages this week, just to play it safe and not exacerbate anything.
    * A set back, but minor at best if I play it safe and smart. I need to remind myself that my first cut nine years ago involved zero deads or squats because I had re-aggravated my herniated disc far worse than this less than a week before beginning my cut, yet I still got really lean.

anonymous
    Originally Posted by 66jzmstr View Post
    Thanks for checking in and thanks for the kind words, man!

I read 2200cal, but I also read "slight bulk." Maybe you're doing the latter and planning to then move into the former?

I look forward to bulking but 1) I have to remind myself that leanest bulks essentially involve the same foods one would eat on a cut, and 2) most sources I follow say don't bulk until one is near 10% body fat, so I've got a ways to go. It will happen for me - just not yet.

Thanks again, and feel free to leave a comment anytime! Best of luck, man!
    Im sorry about the kcal: Now I have a food schedule thats around 2200kcal. my TDEE is about 2400 But i want to lift my own bodyweight so I need to eat first otherwise im not gaining in strenght.
    So what im doing now is, im eating more protein to increase my intake to have a small surplus to gain some weight and strenght. Once I have more muscle mass (wich increases burning more kcal in rest) I can drop down into a cut again so my bodyfat% is going down.

Because i have struggled with my fat% for so long and I want to grow a bit, im starting with a slight surplus untill jan/feb. 2021 and then I will look into cutting again to slim down. Or is this not the way its ment to be done?
    My goal for now is to lift/press my own BW: 169lbs And then I will look further. I know that when I set large goals, im overwhelmed by all the tasks so im doing 1 step at a time. Have a great day!

REST DAY

Today's weight: 205.0

Weekly Progress
    Week 5 Average: 206.3

Lunch: Steak jerky, string cheese, small tomats, two cups o' Greek, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Modified Martin omelette with turkey meatballs, some bell pepper slices and tomats. For dessert, a PB powder & vanilla casein protein fluff bowl with some dry-roasted peanuts, blackberries, and raspberries.

Totals: 2000cal (254P, 111C, 66F: 51% of calories from protein)

Notes
    * Lower back is feeling better today, but I've got the chiropractor scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday. This week's deadlifts (Tuesday) and squats (Saturday) will definitely be deloads to play it safe.
    * Omelette notes for myself and for future reference: 3 whole eggs, 5 servings of egg whites (i.e. 15 Tbsp), half a cup of low-fat cottage cheese, seasoned and mixed in a bowl. Throw that in a hot skillet (TJ's olive oil spray first), and throw the cut up turkey meatballs in before mixing. (Salty, peppery - not sweet - jerky can suffice here, too.) Top with lo-fat shredded cheese, black pepper, and diced green onions. Garnish with some hot garlic habanero sauce upon serving.
    Last edited by 66jzmstr; 11-14-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: I forget to include my Weekly Progress tallies toward the top.

@Sir

This message board is not letting me respond with your message in quotes tonight regardless what browser I try, so my apologies for the wonky response. It's also not letting me post a full paragraph. I'll see what I can do to respond to you by editing this message here or by responding in the next message below.

POST-EDIT: I removed the parentheses and special characters and it allowed me to post. The message is my response to your response above.
    Last edited by 66jzmstr; 11-09-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Hopefully line breaks will allow me to post this.

Unless one is an advanced lifter, one can definitely make strength gains while on a cut, given the calorie deficit is not too steep. I'm five weeks in, not advanced but not a true beginner, and my strength has increased.

If you set your calories for a 1 to 1.5lb fat loss goal per week and eat high protein - 40% of calories, but the higher the better - and have a sound lifting plan based around compound movements like deadlifts, squats, bench, OHP, barbell rows, chins without too much volume, you can definitely make strength gains and even slightly increase muscle mass while losing fat.

Frankly, at your current body composition, even if you ate at only a slight surplus, the strength gains probably wouldn't be all that significant, and really, even the strictest, leanest bulk for guys like us in our 30s and 40s will typically result in half the weight gain going to muscle and half going to fat.

To make the biggest impact on your body composition, I'd definitely cut and aim for a simple, three day a week routine. Just my two cents.

yesterday's entry a day late

TRAINING DAY

Today's weight: 205.8

Lunch: Sundry jerkies, string cheese, some tomats, two cups o' Greek, big ol' Trutein shake.

Dinner: Angus steak tips with vegetables & gravy, different & supersour kimchi, a bag of Quest protein chips, and a can of Dry cucumber soda.

Dessert: One Bartlett pear, a double serving of Magic Spoon Fruity (protein version of Fruit Loops cereal clone) in low-cal almond milk, and a double shake of vanilla casein with hefty helping of peanut butter powder mixed in.

Totals: 2505cal (316P, 161C, 70F: 50% of calories from protein)

Workout B
    Deadlifts: DELOAD 235x6, 235x6
    Overhead Press: 150x5, 140,7, 130x8
    (face pulls and lateral delt cable flies for dessert and one-legged bridges for extra low-back work)

Notes
    * I saw my powerlifting chiro doc this day, and he played me like an accordion. "Lady of Spain" with my vertebrae. Felt damn good, as I hadn't had a proper adjustment in nearly a year. I felt so good that I was tempted to *not* do a deload in the gym, but I stuck with the lower numbers on deads, just to err on the safe side.
    * The back, outside of my left shoulder is messed up. I'm pretty sure it's my infraspinatus tendon flaring up, which has happened in the past. I definitely felt it on OHPs.
    * Speaking of OHPs, I always thought cheaters on OHPs were the people who were trying to disguise a push-press or people who only brought the bar down to nose level, not to the top of the chest. Well, I still call 'em cheaters (or partials for the latter), but perhaps I've been cheating, too. A la Starting Strength, I'm fine with creating a bit of a stretch rebound by thrusting the hips forward (knees still immobile), and I do this, but I think the bar hasn't been coming to a complete stop. Imagine the OHP version of "bouncing" your deadlifts. I did my last set strictly, and it was harder but felt good. Good except for the infraspinatus, which I'll have to address.
    * The angus tips in gravy from Costco tasted good, but I won't get them again. No way was there actually 20g of protein per 180-calorie serving. Way too many potatoes and carrots, not enough beef for 20P.

REST DAY

Today's weight: 205.2

Lunch: Steak jerky, string cheese, small tomats, sour power kimchi, two cups o' Greek, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Pork carnitas, big ol' cruciferous salad topped with grilled chicken chunks and other miscellany, and a bag of Quest BBQ chips (pretty good). For dessert, a PB powder & vanilla casein protein fluff bowl with some dry-roasted peanuts.

Totals: 1995cal (261P, 84C, 76F: 52% of calories from protein)

TRAINING DAY

Today's weight: 204.2

Lunch: jerky, kimchi, bell pepper, two cups o' Greek, big ol' Trutein shake.

Dinner: Easy & lean chicken marsala from Costco with some extra grilled chicken chunks thrown in for more protein, a heap of white kimchi, a bag of Quest protein chips, and a can of Dry cucumber soda.

Dessert: One Bartlett pear, a double serving of Magic Spoon Fruity (protein version of Fruit Loops cereal clone) in low-cal almond milk which submerged a full cup of frozen blueberries (making the milk ice cold and thawing said blueberries), a serving of Halo Top Birthday Cake ice cream (nice amaretto flavor in it), some dry roasted peanuts, and a double shake of vanilla casein with hefty helping of peanut butter powder mixed in.

Totals: 2504cal (330P, 168C, 66F: 53% of calories from protein)

Workout B
    Barbell Rows: 210x8, 200x10, 190x13
    Bench Press: 220x8, 210x7, 200x9
    (bodyweight dips and overhead tricep cable work for dessert and one-legged bridges for extra low-back work)

Notes
    * Saw my chiro doc again. Feeling so much better and stoked to deadlift and squat next week. Still holding true to keeping this a lower-body deload week though, so squats at only 60% weight this coming Saturday.
    * Doc also worked on my left infraspinatus hard, hurt like a motorfinger, but it felt and moved well after. I'll see him again in a week and must remember to ask him to work on it again. I've had a few subpar chiro docs before. This guy is damn good, knows his lifts, and is a good guy to boot.
    * Barbell rows really fell off this week, but I look forward to trying again next week.
    * With my weight dropping steadily, my presses are the first things to suffer, and with my infraspinatus somewhat injured, I wasn't expecting great things. Despite all that, I squeezed out an eighth rep on my top set for bench, and eight is my target for bench, so I'll microload the bar next week.
    * Absolute dessert PR tonight. Really stoked, and I'm glad I went with a smaller lunch and lean protein for dinner, allowing me an absolute feast of a dessert.

REST DAY

Today's weight: 204.2 (again)

Lunch: Steak jerky, sour kimchi, cup o' Greek, cup o' skyr, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Three apple chardonnay chicken sausages with some dijon, pork carnitas, half a red bell pepper, a double serving of regular kimchi. For dessert, a PB powder & vanilla casein & strawberry Trutein shake, a Halo PB swirl pop, and some dry-roasted peanuts.

Totals: 2000cal (257P, 96C, 70F: 51% of calories from protein)

TRAINING DAY

Today's weight: 204.2

Lunch: Intentionally late, small lunch: jerky, string cheese, a quarter of a red bell pepper, one cup o' Greek, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Birthday dinner! A Dorfman Platter from Briley's BBQ - half a pound a sliced brisket, half a pound of pulled pork, a giant slice of bacon, a side of collard greens, and a side of seasonal veggies with some cheese. A Dry cucumber soda with it all. I also had a few sweet potato friends, one hush puppy ball, and a filet of fried catfish with some spicy sauce. (The photo below doesn't do it all full justice, as not all foods are shown, not to mention I had already started before I remembered to snap a fottergraf with my soul-stealer.)

Dessert: A small chestnut pastry, and two pieces of See's candy (one peanut butter crunch, one marzipan).

Totals: I'm guessing 3100. I was actually counting through most of dinner until I saw the fried catfish filets my wife ordered for all to share. I figured what the hell - it's my birthday dinner. The only day of the 40 or so thus far that I don't have an accurate calorie and macro tally. I'll live. )

Workout C
    Squats: DELOAD 175x8, 175x8, 175x8
    Weighted Chins: +51.25x9 (254.45lbs) REP PR, +25x10 (228.6lbs), BWx11 (203.4lbs)
    (standing calf raises and barbell bicep curls for dessert followed by some one-legged bridges for lower back work)

Notes
    * My body weight in mind when lifting was yesterday's 204.2, not today's 203.4, so I should've added a bit more on my top set of chins. Regardless, this is my first time hitting nine reps when hanging over 50lbs or above 250lbs total. It's possible that I had more in the tank from only doing deload sets for squats just before instead of my usual, draining AMRAP squats.
    * I'm not too worried about the calorie overage today, celebrating my birthday a few days early with some of my favorite eats. I did both dog walks today, the latter being a pretty long, hilly walk; lunch was small; I raked the whole yard; and, I vacuumed the house. I won't tally those calories burned, but it should cut a little into the calorie surplus I enjoyed today.
    * I am worried about my gym - all gyms nearby, really - closing. Positive case numbers are skyrocketing here, setting daily records in succession. The governor's holding a press conference tomorrow morning, so we'll see what happens going forward. If gyms close, my home set-up is ... well, next to nothing. I'll have to make some decisions. Time will tell.
    Last edited by 66jzmstr; 11-14-2020 at 10:08 PM.

REST DAY

Today's weight: 203.0

Dinner: Most of a 'fall harvest' salad bag from Trader Joe's covered with over a half pound of grilled chicken breast, also a bag of BBQ Quest chips. For dessert, a PB powder & vanilla casein protein shake, a serving of dry-roasted peanuts, a bowl of fresh strawberries, and a Halo PB swirl pop.

Totals: 2001cal (253P, 109C, 66F: 51% of calories from protein)

Notes
    * I swear I ate at least 3k for calories last night for my birthday, and yet ...? I don't care: I'll take it! I haven't weighed 203lbs in over nine months.
    * It happened. A new set of lockdowns were announced this morning, as our coronavirus numbers here spike. It won't be as stringent as it was in spring, but my gym - all indoor gyms in the state, that is - close for at least four weeks once they lock the doors Monday night. Tuesday is usually my day for deadlifts and OHP, but I might try to squeeze in one final visit tomorrow (Monday) for deadlifts and bench.
    * I really wanted to go 13 weeks on this cut. It looks like I'll get half way. If I were obese, I'd continue doing what I'm doing, knowing that most of my weight loss would be fat because such a large percentage of me would be fat as my starting point. I'm guessing I'm around 15% now, maybe a bit less. Not super lean, but given I have no weights at home, my home routine isn't going to promote lean body mass preservation as well as the compound barbell movements I base my training around, so the weight loss I'd have continuing on my current deficit would involve the loss of more lean body mass than I've been losing while barbell training. I'll most likely calculate my new TDEE, slowly work up to that over the next week or week and a half, and eat at just slightly under maintenance while doing three workouts a week at home: One bodyweight workout on Tuesdays, one sprint workout on Thursdays, and one resistance bands workout on Saturdays. I'll grow tired of it quickly, but it will help me stay half-way in shape, at least. I'll log the next couple days, and one of my last entries will spell this out in more detail. Hopefully the numbers take a dip sooner than later, and gyms can reopen. Until then, I'll look to maintain this new, leaner body composition while not stressing over calories or maintaining a deep deficit.

nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just read your whole thread.

Really inspiring and helpful for those seeking info on how to carry out a cut whilst maintaining/gaining strength. I hope you manage OK during this lockdown.

Will look FW to reading more about your progress and will apply some of your ideas to my own journey (your consistency and motivation are clearly key!).

Originally Posted by nr3279 View Post
    Just read your whole thread.

Really inspiring and helpful for those seeking info on how to carry out a cut whilst maintaining/gaining strength. I hope you manage OK during this lockdown.

Will look FW to reading more about your progress and will apply some of your ideas to my own journey (your consistency and motivation are clearly key!).
    Thanks, man! Welcome here, and I appreciate the comment! It's been pretty good so far.

I'm probably going to post some quasi-summary on Thursday or Friday, which will be about six and a half weeks in - exactly half way of the three months (i.e. 13 weeks) I was aiming for. I hope to maintain just slightly under maintenance while letting up on the high-protein, zero-alcohol for just a bit for my own sanity over the holidays - but no benders like this summer! (lol) - and then hit the ground running again when gyms open back up. I'll do three home workouts a week in the meantime. Nothing special, but hopefully enough to stave off any major loss of lean body mass.

Everything I'm doing on this cut (save perhaps the first two or three weeks, before I had finished the book) is based off of Martin Berkhan's "The Leangains Method." It's on Kindle via Amazon, is only $10, and is a relatively quick, easy read. His arrogance weighs a bit heavy in parts, but that was easy for me to look past given how helpful, clear, short, and informative the book is.

Thanks again for the visit, and if you begin a FL log here, let me know! I won't be as active here during the lockdown, but I'll pop in from time to time and wouldn't mind visit your log if you start one. Either way, thanks again, and best of luck to your on your journey!

TRAINING DAY

Weekly Progress
    Week 5 Average: 206.3
    Week 6 Average: 204.7

Today's weight: 203.2

Lunch: Jerky, string cheese, tomats, two cups o Greek yogurt, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Easy & lean chicken marsala from Costco with some extra grilled chicken chunks thrown in for more protein, a double serving of mild kimchi, a bag of Quest protein chips, and a can of Dry cucumber soda.

Dessert: One Bartlett pear, a double serving of Magic Spoon Peanut Butter protein cereal in low-cal almond milk, some dry roasted peanuts, and a double shake of vanilla casein with hefty helping of peanut butter powder mixed in.

Totals: 2494cal (329P, 146C, 72F: 53% of calories from protein)

Workout A/B-ish
    Deadlifts: 385x5, 345x5
    Bench Press: 225x5, 215x7, 205x8
    (bodyweight dips and overhead cable tris for dessert followed by some one-legged bridges for lower back work)

Notes
    * My gym closed for at least four weeks just a couple hours ago. Monday is not usually a training day, but I rested Sunday, so I got to squeeze in one last proper workout tonight before saying goodbye to barbells and actual iron for a month or three, depending on how things go and how people conduct themselves in this new lockdown.
    * Deadlifts felt good on the top set, but my attempt for a sixth rep - my goal - only got a few inches off the ground.
    * My second set of deads were pretty grim. Sure, the first set took a lot out of me, and I'm on a calorie deficit, but my grip was taxed and toast. I began double overhand, but by the third rep, I had to switch back to hook grip. I might ponder some grip training when I return to the gym.
    * Bench was so-so. I should've hit six reps on the top set - still far from my goal of eight, but I set up too close to the uprights, so bumping those didn't help. I usually don't bench after deads though, so it was nice to get some more proper chest work before entering infinite push-ups limbo at home.
    * I plan to increase calories from my base of 2000 by 100 per day until I hit 2600, which I intend to maintain until Thanksgiving. I'll keep the same 50% minimum for calories from protein in that time. After that, I'll stay around 2600 but ease up on the diet a bit for sanity.
    * In short, the cut is not over: It's just on pause for a while with the lockdown. As mentioned in my previous post above, I'll compose some quasi-summary later in the week for how the first half of my cut has gone before going into near-maintenance for a month or three.
    Last edited by 66jzmstr; 11-16-2020 at 10:44 PM.

nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nr3279 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 66jzmstr View Post
    Thanks, man! Welcome here, and I appreciate the comment! It's been pretty good so far.

I'm probably going to post some quasi-summary on Thursday or Friday, which will be about six and a half weeks in - exactly half way of the three months (i.e. 13 weeks) I was aiming for. I hope to maintain just slightly under maintenance while letting up on the high-protein, zero-alcohol for just a bit for my own sanity over the holidays - but no benders like this summer! (lol) - and then hit the ground running again when gyms open back up. I'll do three home workouts a week in the meantime. Nothing special, but hopefully enough to stave off any major loss of lean body mass.

Everything I'm doing on this cut (save perhaps the first two or three weeks, before I had finished the book) is based off of Martin Berkhan's "The Leangains Method." It's on Kindle via Amazon, is only $10, and is a relatively quick, easy read. His arrogance weighs a bit heavy in parts, but that was easy for me to look past given how helpful, clear, short, and informative the book is.

Thanks again for the visit, and if you begin a FL log here, let me know! I won't be as active here during the lockdown, but I'll pop in from time to time and wouldn't mind visit your log if you start one. Either way, thanks again, and best of luck to your on your journey!
    Thanks! I have just started reading Leangains so I'll see how it goes.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nr3279 View Post
    Thanks! I have just started reading Leangains so I'll see how it goes.
    Nice! General info is on his website for free, but if it looks worthy of pursuing, the book is worth it. Whichever direction you take, best of luck!

REST DAY

Today's weight: 202.8

Lunch: Tillamook beef jerk, string cheese, cherry tomats, two Greek yogurt cups, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Nearly a pound of sliced sirloin, half a yellow bell pepper, a bag o' Quest, and some mild kimchi. For dessert, a Japanese shuu cream (eclair-like chilled pastry), a big protein shake, and a spoonful of crunchy, salted peanut butter.

Totals: 2106cal (272P, 100C, 72F: 52% of calories from protein)

Notes
    * Adding 100 calories a day, each day, from my 2000-calorie diet base until I hit 2600, putting me slightly under maintenance. I'll still keep my 50% protein ratio minimum in this time.

HOME WORKOUT DAY

Today's weight: 202.2

Lunch: Wagyu beef jerky, string cheese, blackberries, two Greek yogurt cups, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Three basil & black pepper chicken sausages with full-fat (!) sour cream, half an orange bell pepper, some cherry tomatoes, a bag of Quest chips, and one and a half egg bite cups. For dessert, a big strawberry/vanilla/PB&choco casein/Trutein shake and a spoonful of crunchy, salted peanut butter.

Totals: 2200cal (278P, 99C, 81F: 51% of calories from protein)

Home Workout A
    This was a (mostly) bodyweight pyramid or ladder. I do one chin-up; then, I grab my dinky - and only - 10lb dumbbells (LOL!) and do a reverse lunge for each leg; last, I put my feet up, elevated two stairs and do two strict push-ups with a one-second pause at the bottom and a one second pause at the top for each rep.

Then I rest 45 seconds.

Then I do it again, but do two chin-ups, then two pairs of reverse lunges, then four strict push-ups.

Then I rest 45 seconds.

Then I do three chins, three pairs of lunges and six strict, foot-elevated push-ups.

I repeat this up to seven chins (and subsequent lunges and push-ups), then work my way back down the ladder to a single. The total is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 altogether.

In short, it gave me 49 chin-ups, 98 (lightly-weighted) reverse lunges, and 98 strict, feet-elevated push-ups in about 25 minutes. I then chased it all with some one-legged bridges for my lower back. Next week, I'll add a rep a rep or two to the final set, gradually working up over consecutive weeks until I can go 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, which would be 64 reps of chins, 128 lunges, 128 push-ups in about 30 minutes. (I hope my gym re-opens long before I get that far, though.)

Notes
    * Still adding 100 calories a day, each day, from my 2000-calorie diet base until I hit 2600, putting me slightly under maintenance. I'll still keep my 50% protein ratio minimum in this time.
    * Home Workout B will be wind sprints at the school. Muddy and sandy? I don't give two fox. Rainy, as it should be this time of year in Seattle? No fox given!
    * Home Workout C will be resistance bands. For legs, I might work in some one-legged, bodyweight box squats and/or one-legged jumps.
    * I'll keep these to Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. (This week is an exception.) I'll run this until my gym opens again, at which point I'll resume my prior barbell training and resume my cycling calorie deficits as I have over the last month and a half.
    * Possible progress fottergrafs tomorrow or Friday to round out six and half weeks of my cut before it goes on hiatus/pause until gyms reopen here.
    Last edited by 66jzmstr; 11-18-2020 at 09:22 PM.

REST DAY

Today's weight: 202.0

Lunch: Wagyu beef jerky, strawberries, one Greek yogurt cup, a Trutein shake.

Dinner: Nearly a pound of spicy poke, a big salad of cruciferous vegetables with grilled chicken chunks, some cheese, a hard-boiled egg, and some cucumber ranch, also a bag of Question chips. For dessert, a handful of peanuts, two small peanut butter cups, and a PB&choco Trutein shake with extra PB powder mixed in.

Totals: 2306cal (300P, 108C, 80F: 52% of calories from protein)

Notes
    * Adding 100 calories a day, each day, from my 2000-calorie diet base until I hit 2600, putting me slightly under maintenance. I'll still keep my 50% protein ratio minimum in this time until Thanksgiving. I won't count calories that day, but after I'll drop to 40% of calories from protein until gym open back up and I resume my cut.