Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 41 of 41
  1. #31
    Registered User Luclin999's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2014
    Location: Houston, Texas, United States
    Age: 54
    Posts: 3,799
    Rep Power: 11691
    Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Luclin999 is offline
    Originally Posted by MustangMark83 View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear. I was eating right, in my opinion, to lose belly fat AND ALSO put on muscle. I wanted to look shredded. I lost some weight, but gained no muscle. So I got one of the two things I hoped for. I was simply curious that me not eating enough contributed to the lack of muscle gain, or if it really was me starting this too late in life.
    It is extremely difficult to build muscle while in a sustained calorie deficit losing fat. That is why most people practice cycles of both cutting and bulking.



    As to being too old...

    Me where I started at age 48 to today and age 54...



    ... And I am nowhere close to being "finished" yet.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #32
    Registered User xTeTe's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2016
    Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts: 119
    Rep Power: 1162
    xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000)
    xTeTe is offline
    Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    It is extremely difficult to build muscle while in a sustained calorie deficit losing fat. That is why most people practice cycles of both cutting and bulking.



    As to being too old...

    Me where I started at age 48 to today and age 54...



    ... And I am nowhere close to being "finished" yet.
    That's a hell of a transformation
    Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

    Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe
    Reply With Quote

  3. #33
    Above average Junsuiakai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2016
    Location: Poland
    Age: 35
    Posts: 5,697
    Rep Power: 25392
    Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Junsuiakai is offline
    I started at 7 yrs ago. I don't have before pics, but I'm s grateful I found this forum and all my bros with great advice and support.. Bunch of tough love but it is needed.

    I was overweight until 2012, then started lifting in 2013. So I started when I was 28, Age is a cope, sure it might be more of an uphill battle but how far you get is entirely based on how bad YOU want it.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG
    I don't go to the gym anymore so above stats are useless.

    Only do weighted calastentics in the comfort of my own home!

    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%
    Reply With Quote

  4. #34
    Registered User kyle38's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 85
    Rep Power: 233
    kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle38 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    kyle38 is offline
    Originally Posted by xTeTe View Post
    I did it a while ago. They said the top of the range was 185 pg/ml and I was at 158. I think the low end was like 49 pg/ml

    No upsells at all. The kit was through everlywell. They have like 25 different types of home tests you can do.

    I can pm you a link directly to the results if you'd like to see what it looks like.
    Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what they have to say.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #35
    Registered User xTeTe's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2016
    Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts: 119
    Rep Power: 1162
    xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000)
    xTeTe is offline
    Originally Posted by kyle38 View Post
    Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what they have to say.
    PM sent
    Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

    Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe
    Reply With Quote

  6. #36
    Registered User nitefeatherz's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Posts: 234
    Rep Power: 2017
    nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000)
    nitefeatherz is offline
    Originally Posted by MustangMark83 View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear. I was eating right, in my opinion, to lose belly fat AND ALSO put on muscle. I wanted to look shredded. I lost some weight, but gained no muscle. So I got one of the two things I hoped for. I was simply curious that me not eating enough contributed to the lack of muscle gain, or if it really was me starting this too late in life. I guess just saying "I'm too old and have low T" is the easy excuse, right?
    You can usually gain muscle OR cut body fat. Not typically both. Building muscle means being in a surplus. Losing fat means being in a deficit. So someone will generally target one or the other at a time.
    "We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." Eleanor Roosevelt
    Reply With Quote

  7. #37
    I love my power hour MrCarrot's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Age: 40
    Posts: 1,479
    Rep Power: 7046
    MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    MrCarrot is offline
    Originally Posted by MustangMark83 View Post
    Sorry if this post comes across as a debbie downer. I'm 37 years old. I'm 6'5 220 lbs. A year ago I was 240 lbs. I wasn't happy with how I looked, so I joined a gym, hired a personal trainer, starting eating right, etc. I was lifting 5 times a week. I lost 35 lbs and got down to 205, I looked pretty good but I wasn't totally satisfied - still had a small belly. I was kind of happy with my results because I lost weight, but no noticeable muscle gains. Didn't increase my bench AT ALL in a year. I can only bench like 175. I have really long arms, which might be a problem?

    Then COVID happened and my gym shut down. I'm up to 220 lbs, not quite the 240 I was, but I really want to lose my belly fat. I need motivation to go back to the gym but I am not sure I have the motivation. I honestly wish I would have started lifting in my 20's. I know I'm not old, but I'm not young either. I think I feel really disheartened by the fact that I was taking in 200g-220g of protein a day on average, lifted for 45 min to an hour, multiple times a week, and my arms and chest look no bigger than it used to. I lost weight, that's great, probably from the cardio that is involved with lifting weights, but I honestly just wanted to have a bit more lean muscle. I've done some research, a lot of people on YouTube train for 2-3 hours which I don't have time for, others will eat 4 or 5 thousand calories a day to gain muscle, I can't afford to eat like that.

    Is it pointless to keep trying? Should I just accept the fact that I started too late in life and just start jogging more often to lose some belly fat and call it a day? Ideally I would like to grow my biceps up to perhaps 16 inches, right now they're 14.5. I don't want to ever be huge like the rock, but like I've said, I haven't gained AT ALL. Might be a low T issue? Not sure. Would appreciate any advice.
    I don't know what to say really... I'm 40 this year and in the best shape of my life. Partly thanks to this forum dispelling half the myths out there regarding training and diet.

    All I would say is even if you could train for 2-3 hours at a time, it would indicate your workouts are not intense enough. If I was working out for 2 hours or more, it would start to become a waste of time because I wouldn't have the energy to be productive for that long.

    Regarding diet, I'm currently eating 3,000 - 3,500 calories a day. You can easily bump calories up with cheap food. In the UK a big tub of natural peanut butter is around $7, and a cheap loaf of bread is around 50 cents. I buy ready made packet rice, but if you buy it dry and cook it yourself it costs pennies per serving. Don't think that all those calories need to be chicken breast and finest fillet steak.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #38
    Registered User Luclin999's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2014
    Location: Houston, Texas, United States
    Age: 54
    Posts: 3,799
    Rep Power: 11691
    Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Luclin999 is offline
    Originally Posted by xTeTe View Post
    That's a hell of a transformation
    Thanks.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #39
    Registered User meloncap78's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Age: 42
    Posts: 496
    Rep Power: 4509
    meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) meloncap78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    meloncap78 is offline
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    I don't know what to say really... I'm 40 this year and in the best shape of my life. Partly thanks to this forum dispelling half the myths out there regarding training and diet.

    All I would say is even if you could train for 2-3 hours at a time, it would indicate your workouts are not intense enough. If I was working out for 2 hours or more, it would start to become a waste of time because I wouldn't have the energy to be productive for that long.

    Regarding diet, I'm currently eating 3,000 - 3,500 calories a day. You can easily bump calories up with cheap food. In the UK a big tub of natural peanut butter is around $7, and a cheap loaf of bread is around 50 cents. I buy ready made packet rice, but if you buy it dry and cook it yourself it costs pennies per serving. Don't think that all those calories need to be chicken breast and finest fillet steak.
    Beautiful Mr. Carrot! Packet rice....uncle bens original?? I eat 2-3 of those on lift days. Also PB in my oats with 8 eggs every day upon waking. Lots of good advice here OP and all healthy stuff. Add some boneless skinless chicken thighs, so much cheaper than breast. Lots of cheap ways to get in calories.
    Keep going....

    Big 3
    Bench - 265
    Squat - 260
    Dead - 415
    Reply With Quote

  10. #40
    Registered User Payton1221's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: Indiana, United States
    Age: 53
    Posts: 4,818
    Rep Power: 73660
    Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Payton1221 is offline
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    All I would say is even if you could train for 2-3 hours at a time, it would indicate your workouts are not intense enough.
    Agreed! I've changed my routine since May, but before that every workout consisted of just three HARD pressing sets (either incline bench or OHP and after a few warm-up sets), three HARD pulling sets (usually chins or weighted chins to failure), and then legs done rest-pause. Many a night after leaving the gym (just 40 minutes after arriving) I'd be on the verge or actually "shaking" somewhat and I'd often feel the need to get a bite to eat before I went home.
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951
    Reply With Quote

  11. #41
    Registered User nkilmart's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 13
    Rep Power: 0
    nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    nkilmart is offline
    Originally Posted by MustangMark83 View Post
    Sorry if this post comes across as a debbie downer. I'm 37 years old. I'm 6'5 220 lbs. A year ago I was 240 lbs. I wasn't happy with how I looked, so I joined a gym, hired a personal trainer, starting eating right, etc. I was lifting 5 times a week. I lost 35 lbs and got down to 205, I looked pretty good but I wasn't totally satisfied - still had a small belly. I was kind of happy with my results because I lost weight, but no noticeable muscle gains. Didn't increase my bench AT ALL in a year. I can only bench like 175. I have really long arms, which might be a problem?

    Then COVID happened and my gym shut down. I'm up to 220 lbs, not quite the 240 I was, but I really want to lose my belly fat. I need motivation to go back to the gym but I am not sure I have the motivation. I honestly wish I would have started lifting in my 20's. I know I'm not old, but I'm not young either. I think I feel really disheartened by the fact that I was taking in 200g-220g of protein a day on average, lifted for 45 min to an hour, multiple times a week, and my arms and chest look no bigger than it used to. I lost weight, that's great, probably from the cardio that is involved with lifting weights, but I honestly just wanted to have a bit more lean muscle. I've done some research, a lot of people on YouTube train for 2-3 hours which I don't have time for, others will eat 4 or 5 thousand calories a day to gain muscle, I can't afford to eat like that.

    Is it pointless to keep trying? Should I just accept the fact that I started too late in life and just start jogging more often to lose some belly fat and call it a day? Ideally I would like to grow my biceps up to perhaps 16 inches, right now they're 14.5. I don't want to ever be huge like the rock, but like I've said, I haven't gained AT ALL. Might be a low T issue? Not sure. Would appreciate any advice.
    Definitely worth getting your T levels checked. On the motivation issue, sometimes when I'm struggling for motivation I purely focus on the health aspects of training, even if I'm on a bit of a plateau, I know that it's keeping me healthy which gets more important the older you get. These habits that you're developing will stand you in good stead in later life.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts