Thread: What does work?

Dutchnoskillz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post What does work?

Making up a title for this post took me some minutes. The issue I have since I have been workout out (about 3 years) is that I can't find a suitable workout plan. Since my first weeks I have been following my self-made plans which have been of great use.

For some info my height is 178 cm, body weight 72,8 kg, my body weight has been steady since I have been working out, traded lots of fat in for muscles.
    For some references some numbers :
    1 Rep - 90 kg - Flat bench barbel press
    5 Reps - 70 kg - Incline bench barbel press
    5 Reps - 50 kg - Barbell overhead press
    15 Reps - Bodysuit chest dips
    5 Reps - 40 kg - Bent over barbellrow

The issue I have right now is used to workout 4 days a week doing an upper/lower/rest/upper/lower/weekend plan which targeted every muscle twice a week, I want to target every muscles 3 times a week with a Mon, wed, Fridayf ull body workout plan. Is this advised?

I made this quickly up:
    DB Shrugs
    DB Side & Front raises
    Flatbench press
    Chest dips
    DB Incline Chest fly
    Barbel Bent over row
    Straight-Arm Lat Pull-Down
    Rope bicep
    Cable tricep pushdown
    Abs
    Legs

Ahat are your opinions? What would be a suitable 3 day full body workout or is it better to stick with 4 days upper/lower a week?
    Note: My chest, shoulders and back are decent in form. my triceps are way better compared to my biceps and legs (very thin ankles from myself)

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pick a reputable program and stick with it.

Follow the nutritional advice in the nutrition forum stickies.

Get enough sleep.

The most important thing about working out is consistency. So pick something you ENJOY doing. That may be 3 day full body, 4 day ULUL, 3 or 6 day PPL or some other kind of schedule.

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    DB Shrugs

-Unnecessary for a beginner, most people have overreactive upper traps anyway

DB Side & Front raises

-Front raises are best kept to professional bodybuilders or advanced lifters

Flatbench press

-A staple in many programs, depending on how you’re put together, they may bother your shoulders

Chest dips

-Dips are great if you’re shoulders are built for them

DB Incline Chest fly

-Great for chest hypertrophy and not just with dumbbells or at an incline. Cable crossovers and the pec deck are actually better alternatives by any metric

Barbel Bent over row

-From someone who used to use up to 3 plates for sets of 3 and 275 for sets of 8, completely overrated. Most have trouble holding that hinge pattern, which leads to sloppy form. Seated cable rows, chest supported rows either machine or with BB or DBs are a better alternative IMO because you can focus on your back

-These are good for the lats, machine pullovers are possibly better although they accomplish the same goal

Rope bicep

-Never tried these but I’m not sure they have an advantage over a straight bar or single arm handle

Cable tricep pushdown

-Great for the triceps obviously

Abs

-uhhhh?

Legs

-you should probably give these a lot more thought

There are a few exercises you should add to your upper body, like lat pulldowns and some overhead triceps isolation movement, and a high rep exercise for the upper back like reverse pec deck or band pull aparts

Dutchnoskillz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    DB Shrugs

-Unnecessary for a beginner, most people have overreactive upper traps anyway

DB Side & Front raises

-Front raises are best kept to professional bodybuilders or advanced lifters

Flatbench press

-A staple in many programs, depending on how you’re put together, they may bother your shoulders

Chest dips

-Dips are great if you’re shoulders are built for them

DB Incline Chest fly

-Great for chest hypertrophy and not just with dumbbells or at an incline. Cable crossovers and the pec deck are actually better alternatives by any metric

Barbel Bent over row

-From someone who used to use up to 3 plates for sets of 3 and 275 for sets of 8, completely overrated. Most have trouble holding that hinge pattern, which leads to sloppy form. Seated cable rows, chest supported rows either machine or with BB or DBs are a better alternative IMO because you can focus on your back

-These are good for the lats, machine pullovers are possibly better although they accomplish the same goal

Rope bicep

-Never tried these but I’m not sure they have an advantage over a straight bar or single arm handle

Cable tricep pushdown

-Great for the triceps obviously

Abs

-uhhhh?

Legs

-you should probably give these a lot more thought

There are a few exercises you should add to your upper body, like lat pulldowns and some overhead triceps isolation movement, and a high rep exercise for the upper back like reverse pec deck or band pull aparts
    Thanks for your advanced reply!

"Unnecessary for a beginner, most people have overreactive upper traps anyway"
    I have been working out for about 3 years, i noticed doing these the last time i felt my traps being activated, I have been doing upright rows for a long period of time

"Front raises are best kept to professional bodybuilders or advanced lifters"
    I have been doing these for atleast 3 months now and since then my shoulders have got more definition from the side and front.

"-A staple in many programs, depending on how you’re put together, they may bother your shoulders"
    Been doing these for atleast 2 years and enjoy this exercise alot!

"-Dips are great if you’re shoulders are built for them"
    For the 2 years i do them i never had issues with shoulders

"Great for chest hypertrophy and not just with dumbbells or at an incline. Cable crossovers and the pec deck are actually better alternatives by any metric"
    Havent done these alot but the times i did i felt the day after a nice burn in my pecs

"From someone who used to use up to 3 plates for sets of 3 and 275 for sets of 8, completely overrated. Most have trouble holding that hinge pattern, which leads to sloppy form. Seated cable rows, chest supported rows either machine or with BB or DBs are a better alternative IMO because you can focus on your back"
    I make sure to have low weights so i am able to have my back horizontal with the floor

"these are good for the lats, machine pullovers are possibly better although they accomplish the same goal"
    Thanks!

"Never tried these but I’m not sure they have an advantage over a straight bar or single arm handle"
    What i understand from research is that with a rope you can activate your brachialis more

What do you think of this program?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "legs"

really?

There's not a lot of program to give thoughts on, apart from the fact this is a lot of excess exercises for 1 day.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by Dutchnoskillz View Post
    Thanks for your advanced reply!

"Unnecessary for a beginner, most people have overreactive upper traps anyway"
    I have been working out for about 3 years, i noticed doing these the last time i felt my traps being activated, I have been doing upright rows for a long period of time

"Front raises are best kept to professional bodybuilders or advanced lifters"
    I have been doing these for atleast 3 months now and since then my shoulders have got more definition from the side and front.

"-A staple in many programs, depending on how you’re put together, they may bother your shoulders"
    Been doing these for atleast 2 years and enjoy this exercise alot!

"-Dips are great if you’re shoulders are built for them"
    For the 2 years i do them i never had issues with shoulders

"Great for chest hypertrophy and not just with dumbbells or at an incline. Cable crossovers and the pec deck are actually better alternatives by any metric"
    Havent done these alot but the times i did i felt the day after a nice burn in my pecs

"From someone who used to use up to 3 plates for sets of 3 and 275 for sets of 8, completely overrated. Most have trouble holding that hinge pattern, which leads to sloppy form. Seated cable rows, chest supported rows either machine or with BB or DBs are a better alternative IMO because you can focus on your back"
    I make sure to have low weights so i am able to have my back horizontal with the floor

"these are good for the lats, machine pullovers are possibly better although they accomplish the same goal"
    Thanks!

"Never tried these but I’m not sure they have an advantage over a straight bar or single arm handle"
    What i understand from research is that with a rope you can activate your brachialis more

What do you think of this program?
    Well if you’re working out for 3 years, you aren’t exactly a beginner now are you?

Your lack of leg workouts disturbs me...

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The issue I have since I have been workout out (about 3 years) is that I can't find a suitable workout plan. Since my first weeks I have been following my self-made plans which have been of great use. ... I made this quickly up:
    The issue seems to be that within your first few weeks as a novice you decided proper programs weren't suitable for you, and since then have been following your own programs that you make up off the top of your head.

No one can tell you whether a 3-day fb is better than a 4-day UL, since the split doesn't matter as much as the details of what you're doing. Right now I definitely wouldn't vote for your 3-day fb given what you've listed so far.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Note: My chest, shoulders and back are decent in form. my triceps are way better compared to my biceps and legs (very thin ankles from myself)
    You've identified issues but you don't address them. Thin ankles isn't your problem.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000)
    You may not be a "beginner" but you are a "novice". You should be on a novice program. Check Fierce 5 and All Pros in the stickies, or find another. Whatever you select, try it for 3 months at a caloric surplus with high protein intake (check the nutrition forum to estimate your actual needs).

Take pics now and in 3 mons, see if you like results.
    Last edited by SoCalHurler; 10-04-2020 at 12:54 PM.