Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Does touch and go bench = bouncing the bar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3q6UHIfQE

When I do the bench press, I try to keep my feet planted to the ground and keep my upper back tight. I was testing out my maxes and I could do 145 lbs for a double. I noticed that my reps go by really quick. Are these necessarily "bouncing the bar" or touch and go? I definitely should try to keep the bar on my chest for at least half a second.

Regardless of whether or not I do it right, I don't try to hit the bar with my rib cage to give momentum. Sorry for the crappy angle.

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don’t see any bouncing from that angle, looks like clean TnG.

Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    I don’t see any bouncing from that angle, looks like clean TnG.
    Hmm ok thanks. I submitted a form check to reddit and apparently I was "bouncing the bar".

Also is TnG bad for maximal loads? How are touch and go for hypertrophy and strength? I intend on playing with paused bench.
    Last edited by Odifududix; 10-01-2020 at 02:45 PM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not the best angle, a little bouncy by my eye.
    Clean TnG is pretty hard to do tbh, I'd recommend a slight pause if you only do one variation, if you do more than use both
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Not the best angle, a little bouncy by my eye.
    Clean TnG is pretty hard to do tbh, I'd recommend a slight pause if you only do one variation, if you do more than use both
    What exactly is "bouncing the bar"? Is it just using your torso to drive back up the weight? I don't try to do that- I use my pecs and arms.

Is TnG or Paused better for hypertrophy? Also yeah the angle really sucks but there's hardly space in my gym to film.

Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I read a study of some sort a while back that found that muscle tension holds on for about four seconds when a muscle is stretched.

For example using bench press, you can use the muscle tension to move more weight. This is obvious I think, paused reps are harder.

Take home message was that any pause is good, but you need to wait four seconds for any elasticity to be gone. By then its just muscle power moving the weight, not the natural elasticity of the muscle under tension.

Its why you jump higher without stopping at the bottom of a jump. You can load the muscle like an elastic band.

For pure hypertrophy, you want the rep to be all muscle and no tension helping, so adding a pause is supposed to be better. Will it help you move more weight? Probably not at first, but eventually perhaps. If your goal is hypertrophy, you might want to consider a pause at the bottom of the rep.
    Rep SoapKing on sight crew.
    Semi tradie crew
    lol@tradies crew
    Certified HTC
    Part time Squishy

GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100) GoldSpark911 is not very well liked. (-100)
    If you think you are bouncing try next time when you do bench when u touch bar to wait half a second. That way you will know.
    DyamondWorkout Workout Planner

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Odifududix View Post
    What exactly is "bouncing the bar"? Is it just using your torso to drive back up the weight? I don't try to do that- I use my pecs and arms.

Is TnG or Paused better for hypertrophy? Also yeah the angle really sucks but there's hardly space in my gym to film.
    Carrying momentum from the eccentric through to the concentric to make the hardest part of the lift easier basically.
    TnG Deadlifts are a good example.

I doubt there is a significant difference between them.
    5 day full body crew

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bounce = physically using ur chest to bounce and re bound off like a sternum trampoline.

They looked just fine.

And **** reddit for the most part they don't have a clue.

Originally Posted by Hutrapper View Post
    I read a study of some sort a while back that found that muscle tension holds on for about four seconds when a muscle is stretched.

For example using bench press, you can use the muscle tension to move more weight. This is obvious I think, paused reps are harder.

Take home message was that any pause is good, but you need to wait four seconds for any elasticity to be gone. By then its just muscle power moving the weight, not the natural elasticity of the muscle under tension.

Its why you jump higher without stopping at the bottom of a jump. You can load the muscle like an elastic band.

For pure hypertrophy, you want the rep to be all muscle and no tension helping, so adding a pause is supposed to be better. Will it help you move more weight? Probably not at first, but eventually perhaps. If your goal is hypertrophy, you might want to consider a pause at the bottom of the rep.
    Yeah.

The reflex diminishes over time gradually.
    So any pause you do will be harder the longer you hold it. I believe people can gain the benefit closer to 6 seconds if trained

Dead bench or pin bench on the other hand zero stretch reflex at all.. Can be kinda taxing tho
    FMH crew T-Rex.

So overall it’s best to have some sort of pause to maximize hypertrophy?

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If hypertrophy is the goal, dumbbells may be a better alternative or if you have access to them, Hammer strength machines even more so.

Generally speaking Though, pause= time under tension= increased muscle activity

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A pause will maximize hypertrophy and strength by improving technique. Your T&G tech in that vid looked fine, no bouncing, but your bench will improve if you start pausing your reps. Use T&G as an assistance.
    Currently running Calgary programming again: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1618375061&viewfull=1#post1618375061

If hypertrophy is the goal, dumbbells may be a better alternative or if you have access to them, Hammer strength machines even more so.

Generally speaking Though, pause= time under tension= increased muscle activity
    Screw it I’ll jeep TnG bench but add in dumbbell work and HS machines. I do all 3 and my bench hasn’t been impact negatively

Screw it I’ll jeep TnG bench but add in dumbbell work and HS machines. I do all 3 and my bench hasn’t been impact negatively
    That is how I used to do it when I did 5/3/1 BBB back when I started lifting

5/3/1 bench
    5x10 DB bench or incline bench

Unfortunately I didn’t have access to HS machines, they really are wonderful hunks of metal.....

That is how I used to do it when I did 5/3/1 BBB back when I started lifting

5/3/1 bench
    5x10 DB bench or incline bench

Unfortunately I didn’t have access to HS machines, they really are wonderful hunks of metal.....
    I barely started using HS machines and they are GOAT for feeling my pecs worked. I usually get too fatigued to bench on days where I OHP so I do this in place of barbell bench.

On another note, if I were to run a program where my training maxes need to be calculated (like 531), should I factor in my TnG bench?

I barely started using HS machines and they are GOAT for feeling my pecs worked. I usually get too fatigued to bench on days where I OHP so I do this in place of barbell bench.

On another note, if I were to run a program where my training maxes need to be calculated (like 531), should I factor in my TnG bench?
    I’d use TnG as assistance to your bench, not as a main variation. That said, I wouldn’t think too much into it. That is how people get annoyed with lifting and quit.

Definitely agree with you on the hammer strength machines.

MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonsieurWhite will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    And **** reddit for the most part they don't have a clue.
    Here we will find the most factual post in this thread.
    “No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

Can someone tell me why my avatar says I'm 50 years old?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spj6gCGtPrE

Is this a better view? The second rep was slow but I already did two sets of heavy doubles prior to this. Know idea why but I felt like it. Got much stronger than a few days ago since I could only bench this weight for a double for a single set while the rest were singles.
    Last edited by Odifududix; 10-03-2020 at 02:12 PM.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spj6gCGtPrE

Is this a better view? The second rep was slow but I already did two sets of heavy doubles prior to this. Know idea why but I felt like it. Got much stronger than a few days ago since I could only bench this weight for a double for a single set while the rest were singles.
    You look like you're stopping the ROM a few inches above your chest, so I don't think that's even TnG.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You look like you're stopping the ROM a few inches above your chest, so I don't think that's even TnG.
    It's hard to tell from the angle but the bar made contact with my torso.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How do you expect there to be worthwhile feedback then?
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I watched it a few times to make sure it wasn't my eyes tricking me, but if it's actually touching your torso then it doesn't look like you're bouncing it (since it's a phantom touch a few inches above).

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I watched it a few times to make sure it wasn't my eyes tricking me, but if it's actually touching your torso then it doesn't look like you're bouncing it (since it's a phantom touch a few inches above).
    Yeah I'll probably put my camera on top of a dumbbell or something to elevate the angle. I kinda hate doing form checks since it gives the illusion I'm occupying two equipment at once and that's a dick move.

Any way is there any problems with sticking to 2 rep sets? Last time I did 145 lbs, I got 2 reps my first set and only a single rep my second. Today I did it again and got it a double for all 3 sets I attempted. I usually head to the HS machine and finish off with a few sets in the 10-12 rep range.

Any way is there any problems with sticking to 2 rep sets?
    If your goal is to get stronger at 2 rep bb BP sets and you're making progress, then no.

Fuk reddit, im done putting up form checks there. The second vid I shared was also said to be “bouncing.” Someone said I was doing CGBP but I took a wider than shoulder width grip.

Fuk reddit, im done putting up form checks there. The second vid I shared was also said to be “bouncing.” Someone said I was doing CGBP but I took a wider than shoulder width grip.
    Tell them there's no way you could've been bouncing it since the bottom ROM was 2-3 inches above your chest.

I decided to give paused reps a try. I could only do sets of 3-4 as opposed to sets of 5. Do my reps have a long enough pause? Or are they just the normal BP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLjEzxboLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruJyPkv4zuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLVGvdlCug

Pardon the last rep of the 3rd video, that was my last set at the gym and I was just too fatigued at that point.

I decided to give paused reps a try. I could only do sets of 3-4 as opposed to sets of 5. Do my reps have a long enough pause? Or are they just the normal BP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLjEzxboLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruJyPkv4zuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLVGvdlCug

Pardon the last rep of the 3rd video, that was my last set at the gym and I was just too fatigued at that point.
    Most look like a quick comp pause i.e half count.
    Seems fairly decent overall, give a 2 count a try sometime I personally find it's great assistance
    5 day full body crew

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Most look like a quick comp pause i.e half count.
    Seems fairly decent overall, give a 2 count a try sometime I personally find it's great assistance
    Pardon me but I'm not familiar with Comp pause. Is that the standard pause between reps for a regular bench?

Anyways I definitely can pause longer, though it makes the reps helluva lot harder. It is a nice change up from the quick reps I used to do

Pardon me but I'm not familiar with Comp pause. Is that the standard pause between reps for a regular bench?

Anyways I definitely can pause longer, though it makes the reps helluva lot harder. It is a nice change up from the quick reps I used to do
    technically it's not even a pause, just a moment where the bar is motionless on the chest, and then the judge says press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xcm3po1Blc

somewhat similar example though he doesn TnG a couple.

I comp pause as my main and use both TnG and longer pauses as assistance
    5 day full body crew