RaiderOfTombs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RaiderOfTombs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RaiderOfTombs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

M/24/5'11/201lbs - Need advice on my cut.

Hey there!

Started at 178lbs November 2019 (a.k.a, the world we knew before).

Bulked up to 201lbs (11 months), but gained quite a bit of fat too. Remedy? CUT!

My routine is basically a modified version of Reddit PPL (4 days instead of 6).

I utilized progressive overload + double progressive overload (eg. Bench 4x5, 1x5+ on a Saturday with OHP 3x8-12 and then on Tuesday I do OHP first 5x5 then Bench 3x8-12)

My numbers are below (started Dead/Squatting a bit later on)

BP: 225x3 (100kg)

DL: 330x5 (150kg)

SQUAT: 275x5 (125kg)

My question is: Do I now lower the volume (for example 3x5 instead of 5x5?) for my cut? Mainly, do I still do the "high rep" (8-12) variant whilst I'm cutting or should I just bench AND OHP heavy (5 reps) on both my Push days? (Obviously, the OHP will suffer if I bench first on a Saturday and my Bench would suffer when I OHP first on a Tuesday).

Here's my dilemma -- I'm now cutting at 2250kcals/160g protein (roughly -500 deficit) and I had my first bench session on my 4th day of cutting. I only managed 100kg for 2 reps (instead of 3). I did 4 sets. I'm worried that I 'only' have 8 reps total in from that bench session (although it was more intense) - whereas I could get 97.5kg for 4/5 reps.

In short:

Saturday, Tuesday are my push days -- should I bench HEAVY on both these days or do a 3x8-12 session on Tuesday (so, 80kg for 12 reps for example) and a 4x2 on the Saturday. Which leads me to: is 4x2 really enough to mitigate strength losses/maintain on the bench, or should I drop to 97.5kg and do 4x4 (maybe 5 reps)?

I'd be incredibly bummed if I tank my lifts because of poor programming.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Typically when cutting, as I’ve always seen it, is 3x5, then 3x6 then increase weight of main lifts then back to 3x5 and repeat.

Personally I do sets of 6-10 for most and 10-14 for others, with my heavy lifts being in the 6-8 range for a top set.

I wouldn’t do 2 heavy pushes on one day. Maybe do heavy bench with lighter incline DB one day and heavy OHP with lighter close grip bench or something along those lines on the other day.

As far as losing “strength” I wouldn’t worry too much. Strength is specific to movements and I’ve found that bench and incline bench make OHP go up but the reverse usually isn’t true. Anything over 60% or your max is gonna increase your strength PROVIDED that you lift as explosively and accelerate that bar.

Plus this way you’re adding volume and work capacity and that is always a good thing.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 10-06-2020 at 03:09 PM.