BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Which kind of 'overtraining' is more harmful?

The consensus for the proper workout schedule (lifting) seems to be 3-5 days a week for 30 minutes - 1 hour

Having said that, what kind of extended schedule (weightlifting) is the worst (leads to injury/lack of gains)?
    On the off chance there are, any benefits to an extended schedule? Ex: strength, endurance, etc

1. Workout 3 days a week for 2 hours
    2. Workout 6 days a week for 1 hour
    3. Workout 7 days a week for 30-45 minutes

In example 1, the volume would be doubled for each workout but each muscle group would still be worked out 2x a week
    In example 2, the volume per workout would remain the same but each muscle group would be targeted 3-4x a week
    In example 3, the volume would be cut for each workout and you would have no rest day
    Last edited by BigDsausage; 09-30-2020 at 11:21 PM.

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BigDsausage View Post
    The consensus for the proper workout schedule seems to be 3-5 days a week for 30 minutes - 1 hour

Having said that, what kind of extended schedule leads to injury/lack of gains and which one could possibly be effective?

3. Workout 7 days a week for 30 minutes
    What kind of workout are you asking about?

For weightlifting, time working out doesn't matter in the least. What matters is volume at certain intensities for certain lifts.
    Currently running Calgary programming again: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1618375061&viewfull=1#post1618375061

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Having said that, what kind of extended schedule leads to injury/lack of gains and which one could possibly be effective?

3. Workout 7 days a week for 30 minutes
    Incomplete question. You can overtrain or undertrain with any of these. Most people undertrain regardless.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's unlikely that you're going to overtrain. It's more likely that you're trying to create your own chitty program that won't produce good results. Just follow an established program like Fierce 5.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can have injury and lack of gains without overtraining.

BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDsausage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    What kind of workout are you asking about?

For weightlifting, time working out doesn't matter in the least. What matters is volume at certain intensities for certain lifts.
    Sorry I fixed it. Weightlifting

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    It's unlikely that you're going to overtrain. It's more likely that you're trying to create your own chitty program that won't produce good results. Just follow an established program like Fierce 5.
    Fierce 5 is a great program and I've been using it for about 2 years, I'm currently using the 5 day intermediate-advanced routine. I'm going to depart to marine boot camp soon and with the constant stress placed on you there. I was going to try to raise the time of my workouts while still keeping my gains

RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The consensus for the proper workout schedule (lifting) seems to be 3-5 days a week for 30 minutes - 1 hour

Having said that, what kind of extended schedule (weightlifting) is the worst (leads to injury/lack of gains)?
    On the off chance there are, any benefits to an extended schedule? Ex: strength, endurance, etc

3. Workout 7 days a week for 30-45 minutes

In example 1, the volume would be doubled for each workout but each muscle group would still be worked out 2x a week
    In example 2, the volume per workout would remain the same but each muscle group would be targeted 3-4x a week
    In example 3, the volume would be cut for each workout and you would have no rest day
    I don't think that 3-5 times per week for 30-60 minutes is by any way a consensus. As someone else said, time spent in the gym isn't a great way to measure training volume.

An advanced lifter may need to lift for at least 90 minutes, 6 sessions per week I order to progress due to their high requirements for volume and rest between sets. Some people train in a busy gym and need 2 hours to do the work I can do in my home gym in 45 minutes.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You can have injury and lack of gains without overtraining.
    I can sit on a couch my whole life and get osteoporosis. So I guess that's true but I'm not sure I get what you're trying to convey. Undertraining?

Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    I don't think that 3-5 times per week for 30-60 minutes is by any way a consensus. As someone else said, time spent in the gym isn't a great way to measure training volume.

An advanced lifter may need to lift for at least 90 minutes, 6 sessions per week I order to progress due to their high requirements for volume and rest between sets. Some people train in a busy gym and need 2 hours to do the work I can do in my home gym in 45 minutes.
    Yeah I've heard that (90 minute 6 day session) but mostly from people taking PED's. I haven't heard of people (that weren't athletes training for an event) doing that for gains really

RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah I've heard that (90 minute 6 day session) but mostly from people taking PED's. I haven't heard of people (that weren't athletes training for an event) doing that for gains really
    Again, it depends on how dense those 90 minute sessions are. If each one is around 18 sets and they are taking long rests between sets, then I imagine it would be fine. Way beyond anything I've experienced, though - my current program has me peaking at 63 sets per week, which is more than enough for me.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    There are no absolute numbers - because different people have different work capacities - and that work capacity can increase as you get more experienced.

Look up Mike Israetel's concepts of MEV and MAV to understand this better.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You keep missing the important point.

As someone else said, time spent in the gym isn't a great way to measure training volume.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can sit on a couch my whole life and get osteoporosis. So I guess that's true but I'm not sure I get what you're trying to convey. Undertraining?
    I was conveying that you seem to be misusing the term overtraining and that your OP and subject line before editing (and even after) doesn’t make sense. I’d explain further but doubt you’re interested.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fierce 5 is a great program and I've been using it for about 2 years, I'm currently using the 5 day intermediate-advanced routine. I'm going to depart to marine boot camp soon and with the constant stress placed on you there. I was going to try to raise the time of my workouts while still keeping my gains
    Something is off if your getting done in 30 mins to an hour on that program. It takes me 25 mins just to get ready for a work set of 315x5 for squats on lower a after stretching and warm up sets.

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    Something is off if your getting done in 30 mins to an hour on that program. It takes me 25 mins just to get ready for a work set of 315x5 for squats on lower a after stretching and warm up sets.
    I did the F5 Novice program for 6 months and the workouts took me 35-40 mins at the start and 50-55 mins by the end (home gym, no waiting for equipment). That said, I never got my squat up to bodyweight, so I had less need for warm up sets than you.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I did the F5 Novice program for 6 months and the workouts took me 35-40 mins at the start and 50-55 mins by the end (home gym, no waiting for equipment). That said, I never got my squat up to bodyweight, so I had less need for warm up sets than you.
    Yeah that makes sense but he’s running the inter/advanced program so I’m assuming at least a 315 squat for reps.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I doubt there is any possibility at all you will over train lifting weights as a recreational lifter.

Its very very difficult for even elite lifters to do soo much they medically over train, to the point I've not actually heard it happen..
    that's usually reserves for ultra endurance atheles.

You may get repetitive over use niggles in your joints and muscles if you don't vary your movements up and ease back a litte when things feel worse than just sore.. That's about it.
    FMH crew T-Rex.

dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100) dandyrandy1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    From what ive experienced its very possible to overtrain your body if it gets too crazy for extended period your body will start to do weird things physically and psychologically that is detrimental to everyone's end game... I was told a long time ago by Shaq O'neal's personal coach to take a couple weeks off or even a few months if need be even if you think you dont need it seemed to work because ive made my biggest gains during times of recuperation.