DaDude2020 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Squat shoes needed or not?

Are there any particular reasons anyone would need squat shoes over regular flat shoes?

My squat is weak due to my lower back and if I go heavy I occasionally either hurt my knee or something.

All videos I see on correcting my form have squat shoes so I'm not sure if these would help me.

Not sure if anyone needs more info but feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance

Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've always squatted barefoot. Normal tennis shoes aren't great because the soles aren't firm, that's why you'll see people wearing chucks when they squat because they're about as soft as plywood.

You definitely don't need squat shoes, especially if you aren't going heavy.
    "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid."

"I don't know how I'm going to win, I just know I'm not going to lose."

MFC

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not needed. Depends on how you are built if they even help.

Unless you are weightlifting, in which case they are always an advantage.

You do want good solid contact and no squish.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

DaDude2020 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks guys in which case here's another question. When I squat, if the bar is towards the top of my shoulder muscles, when I get out of the hole my body leans forward and then straightens up.

If on the other hand I have the bar more lower on my shoulders then the above problem isn't as bad.

Some of the videos suggest I should always have the bar at the higher position when squatting. Is there any reason why a higher bar stance is preferred over a lower one? Thanks

anonymous
    I go back and forth on this, my oly shoes hurt my bad hip and knee more than flat foot, but flat foot my squats look more segmented

Ultimately its up to you

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DaDude2020 View Post
    Thanks guys in which case here's another question. When I squat, if the bar is towards the top of my shoulder muscles, when I get out of the hole my body leans forward and then straightens up.

If on the other hand I have the bar more lower on my shoulders then the above problem isn't as bad.

Some of the videos suggest I should always have the bar at the higher position when squatting. Is there any reason why a higher bar stance is preferred over a lower one? Thanks
    Either is fine, there's a number of reasons you might be dumping out of the hole a bit from high bar. Could be trying to stay to upright for your build, could be insufficient back tightness and bracing, could be too much knee travel.

There's no reason you can't low bar if you prefer. Personally I do, but also run high bar and find that they complement one another nicely.
    5 day full body crew

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Either is fine, there's a number of reasons you might be dumping out of the hole a bit from high bar. Could be trying to stay to upright for your build, could be insufficient back tightness and bracing, could be too much knee travel.

There's no reason you can't low bar if you prefer. Personally I do, but also run high bar and find that they complement one another nicely.
    Adding to this list, could be hips are too tight. Which for me, comes from being a truck driver and always sitting. Not sure what you do for a living but could also be a factor if you have an otherwise sedentary lifestyle.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 10-01-2020 at 03:31 AM.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DaDude2020 View Post

High bar or low bar comes down simply to preference. Some people are stronger with low bar. I've always done high bar.

Widen your stance if you tip forward in high bar. Your femurs (thigh bones) might need more space to move in your hip sockets, and widening stance would fix that.

No, special shoes aren't necessary. Try socks or chucks.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My experience is that squat shoes make it easier to squat.

Some useful features of squat shoes:-raised heel, hard sole, firm upper, strap over the laces.

Your struggling and hurting your knee etc.

I recommend that you buy the shoes.

Originally Posted by TheResistance View Post
    My experience is that squat shoes make it easier to squat.

Some useful features of squat shoes:-raised heel, hard sole, firm upper, strap over the laces.

Your struggling and hurting your knee etc.

I recommend that you buy the shoes.
    You've not seen the op or his build and yet you recommended shoes based solely on your build and stance?

This is a very poor recommendation
    5 day full body crew

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Squat shoes give you better stability than any other reg shoe. Period. Huge footprint, tapered sole, redic grip, meta straps and no give.

The heel is a matter of preference, your anthropometry and you needs. You can get flat, 1/2", 3/4" 1" commercially.

A heel will help u stay upright via knee travel. It won't fix a bad squat unless that is your one specific issue, and it Litterally never is except occasionally on front squats.

My squat shoes have no heel, but the straps, sturdyness and sole are excellent.
    Heels **** me up, I gave my heeled do-Wins away.

Do what you want really, just don't be the chump in squish trainers or sliding about in just socks on the floor.
    Sambas or chucks are great kicks too lift in, flat hard soles, sturdy with Decently grippy soles.
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 10-01-2020 at 04:31 AM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My metcons came with heel inserts that feel like 3-4mm thick.

TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    You've not seen the op or his build and yet you recommended shoes based solely on your build and stance?

This is a very poor recommendation
    What nonsense.

I am not recommending them based 'soley' on anything. You just made that up.

I am recommending then for a number of reasons.

PS- Nice pun

Originally Posted by TheResistance View Post
    What nonsense.

I am not recommending them based 'soley' on anything. You just made that up.

I am recommending then for a number of reasons.

PS- Nice pun
    I may have presumed you were recommending heeled shoes so I apologise if that's incorrect.

If it is correct you can't make the recommendation of lifting in heels without knowing the person
    5 day full body crew

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What type of squatter are you?
    Narrow stance,wide stance?
    You've answered you have a high bar placement and for most that means a narrow stance.
    You may try and get the bar lower across the upper back and traps and see how that works.
    A high bar placement means you need to have a strong back especially upper to stay in a good mostly up right position with the body.
    I would first review my technique before even considering lifting shoes.
    They aren't going to instantly make your squat better and really you might have some adjusting to do with technique.
    If you want to see how a heeled shoe feels just put a weight plate under each heel and try equating like that.
    First though get squared away on your squat technique and weaknesses like the back.
    Maybe add in some good mornings for assistance work.
    Good luck.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you feel that your quads are the limiting factor in your squats? If not, then you'll want to try changing your stance or elevating your heels to see if improves things. Squat shoes can be useful if it turns out that elevating your heels puts the limiting factor in the right place, otherwise they're not needed. (Assumes you have a bodybuilding goal rather than a powerlifting goal)

sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Give bare foot a try if you haven't already. Easy on the wallet.
    "If I fail, and I pray to god that I don't, it will not be because I did not try"

The Most Racist Man Alive MonsieurWhite's Avatar
    MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MonsieurWhite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think a lot of guys have hit the nail right on the head, here. I recommend going barefoot.

This is coming from a guy that didn't know any better for a very long time and did squats in my Nike long-distance running shoes. I find that, as long as you're wearing quality, tight, athletic socks, you won't experience any "sliding" of a quarter inch or so that you might get from squatting shoes. It ultimately depends on your footwork, but I find that it is easier to make that initial drive upwards as well barefoot.
    Dear Federal Agents- All my posts are serious and I am a threat to society.

Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mortar34 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by MonsieurWhite View Post
    ...It ultimately depends on your footwork...
    I agree. If nothing else, it's easier to become proficient at "rooting" (grabbing the floor with your feet, specifically, your toes) while barefoot. Then, find a good pair of shoes to squat in. If they're oly shoes, so be it, but they aren't necessary.
    "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid."

"I don't know how I'm going to win, I just know I'm not going to lose."

MFC