Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Don't gettit sorry. Struggling to get my head round this
    As a population, AA will have less Neanderthal genetic heritage than Americans whose ancestors originated in Europe so on that basis AA would be expected to have less susceptibility to Covid than average American (population as a whole) and be more closely comparable to people in West and Central Africa (although higher than Africa due to more mixing). That's not the case.

In terms of being a large/largest factor for determining risk? meh...!

(interesting though)

Edit, still struggling with the overall world significance as if the average Neanderthal and the average Cro-Magnon went to a powerlifting meet I would put my money on the Neanderthal. I don't see how anyone in their right mind can question this anyway. What is this "Nature" magazine, sounds like some weird subscription thing for nudists? Unless they have articles on training etc I'd ignore low quality tabloid stuff like that and see what Dr Jim Stoppani has to say on the matter
    "Nature" is a legitimate and respected peer reviewed scientific publication. It's been around a long time and has been the vehicle for communicating a lot of important discoveries over the years. The paper's co-author, Svante Pääbo, is a researcher with the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, and has been studying the genetics of Neanderthals and Denisovans ever since it became possible to do so.

As far as the current study goes, it's still unedited and in review, so with respect to African Americans I'm applying my own logic and not speaking for the authors. I can't say that it's the largest factor for determining risk, but it's presented as a major factor for the "respiratory failure" effect of the disease. That doesn't mean that carriers of these genes are more susceptible or less susceptible to contracting the disease, but they do appear to be more likely to develop the serious respiratory consequences. I'm sure that the other factors still exist as influences.

The Publisher (not the authors) considered the work significant enough that they made it available in full, without a paywall, as a pre-release prior to its publication date, so that speaks against it being one of the typical "publish or perish" papers that are often put out by these journals.

Here's a quote from the paper itself:

"Recently, a new dataset was released from the COVID-19 Host Genetics Initiative where the region on chromosome 3 is the only region significantly associated with severe COVID-19 at the genome-wide level (Fig. 1a). The risk variant in this region confers an odds ratio for requiring hospitalization of 1.6 (95% confidence interval (CI): 1.42-1.79, Extended Data Figure 1)"

So it's not so much a factor in contracting COVID, it's something that significantly raises your odds of requiring hospitalization if you do have it.

Unfortunately, the "Access Denied" bug means I'm going to have to neglect the rest of my response.
    Last edited by ElrondHubbard; 10-01-2020 at 03:22 PM.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

65 and still a newbie.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    Good thing we Filipinos look like stoned Mexicans. Maybe rona will get confuzed and skip me.

Orale vato!!
    It might.You Filipinos ARE confusing. There's a lot of south Asian ancestry there, though, so the chances are decent that you carry the Neanderthal allele in that location. Less than 100%, but possibly more than a European would. I wouldn't just assume immunity just yet.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

65 and still a newbie.