doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Should I become a Wing Chun master?

I’ve been on lockdown for months and working from home and I’m getting bored of working out doing the same chit and with the coming winter there is going to be even less to do.

I was speaking to a friend of mine the other day and he said “I have just the thing for you” and goes on to tell me about this wooden wing chun dummy that he has which he’ll let me borrow over the winter and how there are 108 moves to learn on it and I should get a couple of books and watch some videos and that should keep training interesting for me over the winter. I knew he had the dummy, but I’d never shown any interest in it as I thought it was....crap.

My friend has competed in amateur MMA, has a black belt in judo, purple belt in bjj, competed in Muay Thai for years and has been doing wing chun on and off for a few years. He has also worked on the doors and has had a few street fights in his time.

Now here is the thing. He goes on to say that the best martial art for self defence in his opinion is wing chun or Muay Thai.

At this point I started to argue that boxing would be the best and we had a debate about it.

After the phone call I went and googled the wing chun 108 moves and watched some videos. Now I know what wing chun is as I’ve seen ip man and the wooden dummy before, who hasn’t right, but I’d never shown any interest in it.

After my research And finding videos like this I decide it is what I’d already thought.... it Is chit.

I tell my friend that wing chun is martial arts bro science and he says that none of these idiots know how to use it on the street or in a fight.

He then tells me to watch this video which I did and and now I’m not sure what to think.

So what do you think misc? Will I get a punch bag type workout on it? I’m not seriously thinking I would become any good at wing chun, it was just something new to add to working out over the winter as all I really use these days is a concept 2 rower, callisthenics and kettlebells, but as someone who watches MMA it begs the question....

Is wing chun legit, but not many people know how to use it hence it’s bad reputation?

Cliffs: should I borrow a wing chun dummy and become ip man over the winter and do you think wing chun is a legit martial art?

Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I would say no, and I trained in it for several years when I was much younger. Its probably one of the better TMA styles, but ehh..

I will say I developed a lot of attributes from it that carried over and benefited me quite a bit in grappling and MMA (I quit training a long time ago to be clear), and my Wing Chun teacher's teacher was a pretty scary dude I wouldn't ever want to phuck with, but my time almost definitely would have been better spent on other styles (though this was a small town, so there wasn't much grappling or Boxing/MT available besides HS Wrestling). I really did actually enjoy it though.

doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doughnutking has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    I would say no, and I trained in it for several years when I was much younger. Its probably one of the better TMA styles, but ehh..

I will say I developed a lot of attributes from it that carried over and benefited me quite a bit in grappling and MMA (I quit training a long time ago to be clear), and my Wing Chun teacher's teacher was a pretty scary dude I wouldn't ever want to phuck with, but my time almost definitely would have been better spent on other styles (though this was a small town, so there wasn't much grappling or Boxing/MT available besides HS Wrestling). I really did actually enjoy it though.
    Why do you say no? And why don’t you train anymore? Do you even lift?

Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Schnitzl has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There's a reason guys with wrestling base have been dominant in the UFC since the beginning. Wing Chun is great for showing fancy moves how you can elbow someone or hyperextend their knee but in an actual fight, I'd take a boxer or a kickboxer any day of the week when it comes to stand-up.
    WC also promotes jewels and throat strikes which are illegal. It's a martial art for display not for actual hand to hand combat.

Originally Posted by Schnitzl View Post
    There's a reason guys with wrestling base have been dominant in the UFC since the beginning. Wing Chun is great for showing fancy moves how you can elbow someone or hyperextend their knee but in an actual fight, I'd take a boxer or a kickboxer any day of the week when it comes to stand-up.
    WC also promotes jewels and throat strikes which are illegal. It's a martial art for display not for actual hand to hand combat.

I agree with what you are saying about wrestling. Wrestling, boxing and bjj rule the octagon.

When I was getting the link for the above video I posted, youtube recommended me this video and Ive just watched it and I think he makes a good point about why wing chun practitioners always fall short against boxers etc. He seems to know what he is talking about.

What do you reckon?

Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Polaris has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by doughnutking View Post
    Why do you say no? And why don’t you train anymore? Do you even lift?
    Yeah I lift, but as far as Martial Arts - the desire just isn't there enough, and these days I just like to do my own thing on my own schedule. I tried getting back into BJJ, but got kind of bored and wasn't feeling it enough to drag my ass to class regularly. There is a Muay Thai super close to me that I should maybe consider checking out though.

Wing Chun is just lot more difficult to use effectively. Can it be done? Very possibly (remember my teacher's teacher I mentioned), if so - you need to reach a very high skill level to do so - which you are going to need a real quality teacher (which my impression is that a lot of Wing Chun teachers are garbage), are going to need to put in A LOT of time, and need to understand that a lot of Wing Chun training is extremely tedious. If you want to train in it some to use as a potential supplement to other stuff, it could potentially be of some use though.

EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wing Chun has a few decent moves that can be implemented in real fighting but, as a stand alone style/system it aint up to par.
    Lickle Warrior / Hulkamaniac

Tranny Crew.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Never understood why anyone would do anything other than MMA. Why ignore some aspect of fighting? You will get your ass kicked that way, not good. Do MMA, you will learn to box, kick, wrestle and submissions.

If you have no MMA gym around, then do a bit of everything. Do once a week BJJ, once a week boxing and once a week TKD or Karate, or better yet kickboxing or MT, and see if you can get a wrestling coach.

At home you obviously should train with a dummy and a bag daily. Shadow box etc.

Transracial gigaTyrone elterrible987's Avatar
    elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    some of my independently invented martial arts that I used in my street fighting is very similar to wing chun and its always served me well as I was never defeated. Ive sense retired from the game.

EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EidFnatic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by elterrible987 View Post
    some of my independently invented martial arts that I used in my street fighting is very similar to wing chun and its always served me well as I was never defeated. Ive sense retired from the game.
    Respec', brother.
    Lickle Warrior / Hulkamaniac

Tranny Crew.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by elterrible987 View Post

This definitely happened.