GetStrongerr is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Newbie to exercise, would like advice on routine...

Whats up folks. Im 37 year old trying to overcome a lifetime of drinking and smoking, and better myself, and recently started exercising. Im sure the answer to my question is out there but I probably just dont know the correct terminology. I want to know if it is ok to do 1 set of multiple exercises 3 times rather than focusing on 1 exercise until all 3 sets are complete. Here is my routine I formulated...
    Day 1.
    Pulls
    Pushups
    Dips
    Squats
    Knee highs
    Crunches
    Leg lifts
    Dumbell Under arm raises
    Supermans
    Dumbbell pull starts
    Day 2.
    Side leg lifts
    Knee to chest stretch
    Lower back rotations
    Bridges
    Dumbbell lateral raise
    Dumbbell front raise
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Dumbbell curls
    Side lunges

So I basically do 10-15 reps of each thing then go onto the next exercise, repeating the whole list 3 times with minimal breaks if any. Then rotate day 1 and day 2 with 1 day off a week. So each routine being ran 3 times a week.

I dont have a lot of time to exercise, got 6 kids all on distance learning, wife working full time, im working part time plus a few side hustles, this seems to give me a little cardio too, by the time im done ive worked up a good sweat and breathin hard.

I’d like to know if this type of exercise is good for you, with the single sets of multiples all in one routine vs doing three sets of individual exersises before moving on. My concern was is the gap too long between sets of any 1 particular exercise for the multiple sets to be effective? Im trying to be as productive as possible, pretty new to this...
    Any input appreciated!

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What you are describing is a “circuit workout”. While there is nothing inherently wrong about doing them, they are not really optimal for strength/ muscle gains, especially as you advance in your lifts. You probably won’t find many lifters on this forum that do circuits.

One of the best ways to build muscle as a beginner is to focus on a handful of main compound lifts with a program that adheres to the principal of progressive overload. The problem with a circuit (especially one like yours with so many exercises) is that by the time you get back to doing the next set of a main compound, like the squat, your body will already be quite fatigued and it will be difficult to give that lift your best effort.

You should check out Fierce 5 on the stickies in the forum for a well rounded beginner program. There are others as well. I wouldn’t try to develop your own routine unless you have a lot of experience or have done a lot of research. Not saying you won’t make gains on your own program. In the first few weeks of training a brand new lifter can probably do anything and see improvements. However, those easy gains will recede fast and the best way forward after that is following an intelligently laid out program.

Originally Posted by beowulf359 View Post
    What you are describing is a “circuit workout”. While there is nothing inherently wrong about doing them, they are not really optimal for strength/ muscle gains, especially as you advance in your lifts. You probably won’t find many lifters on this forum that do circuits.

One of the best ways to build muscle as a beginner is to focus on a handful of main compound lifts with a program that adheres to the principal of progressive overload. The problem with a circuit (especially one like yours with so many exercises) is that by the time you get back to doing the next set of a main compound, like the squat, your body will already be quite fatigued and it will be difficult to give that lift your best effort.

You should check out Fierce 5 on the stickies in the forum for a well rounded beginner program. There are others as well. I wouldn’t try to develop your own routine unless you have a lot of experience or have done a lot of research. Not saying you won’t make gains on your own program. In the first few weeks of training a brand new lifter can probably do anything and see improvements. However, those easy gains will recede fast and the best way forward after that is following an intelligently laid out program.
    Nice, thanks for the reply and knowledge! Now I can research more knowing what its called. I will look into fierce 5 too. I dont have much exercise equiptment but some leg weights, 20 lb dumbbells, pushup handles, weight vest and a pullup bar I lower and use laterally. I just ordered a book called be your own gym too, which is supposed to be a body weight exercise book.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Good resource here:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/no-gym/

You probably can't do Fierce 5 with the stuff you've got but if you can find a way to get hold of a barbell with some plates, that would open up the possibilities.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Good resource here:

You probably can't do Fierce 5 with the stuff you've got but if you can find a way to get hold of a barbell with some plates, that would open up the possibilities.
    Right on good article, and lots of workouts on there! Bookmarked for reference.

TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been doing Greyskull now for 15 weeks and really like it. I just follow the spreadsheet with a few tweaks. My wife and daughter also use it with further modifications. There is a wealth of info on the interwebs about it.

liftvault.com/programs/strength/greyskull-linear-progression-spreadsheet