kurstc is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Red face Cutting after a period of rapid weight gain

In the past couple of months I've returned to weightlifting after a long period of not doing much activity at all (all the while I was relatively lean). I did the newbie mistake of dirty bulking during this time, not really thinking rationally about it nor appreciating how much I would regret that. I've gained 7-8lbs over that time, most of it fat. I'm at about 18% body fat, if not more.

My strength has significantly increased though, and I'm now about at 80% of where I was before in terms of lifts. For reference I'm now deadlifting 316lbs and benching 192lbs in 1rep max equivalents, not stalling at all. I've now started cutting, and I'd appreciate some tips suitable for my situation. I'm eating super clean, about 500 cals below maintenance in my estimation. I'm tracking macros but I've yet to establish my maintenance exactly.

Does this rapid increase in weight warrant a more drastic cut than one would ordinarily recommend (i.e. > 500 cals)? Or what strategy do you suggest in terms of weightlifting program and nutrition? I am also wondering what my body fat percentage ought to be before moving on to a lean bulk.

I'm in my early 30's (don't know why my profile says 50).
    Last edited by kurstc; 09-25-2020 at 11:26 AM.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The best strategy (typically) is to approach weight gain/loss as a marathon not a race. The more conservative your deficit is the higher chance you have of dietary adherence. A higher deficit now means you will have less room to drop calories in the future. If you're losing 2-3lbs of weight per month you're doing it right.

If you want nutrition advice we have a fantastic forum here for Nutrition, head over there and read the stickies. We also have a great Exercise forum where some of the more popular splits are posted. Really it's just finding something that works for your life/schedule.
    Currently: traveling + MA Forensic Psych

Last country visited: Costa Rica - 2020
    Next country booked: Albania 2021, Scotland 2021