MealDeals is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Complete mess but trying!

Hi guys,

So I've been lifting on and off throughout most of my adult life and never really made anything of myself, gave up got lazy, put weight on, retrained dieted, yoyo'd you know the vicious circle, I've always seemed to look identical, not overly round and fat, but flabby with tits and a fat face etc, you can see my display picture I think that's the leanest I ever got too, and even then I still wasn't showing any abs or have major definition in my muscles.

So I think I'm ready to accept that I clearly haven't got a ****ing clue what I'm doing and which is why I'm here, I'm ready to retry and forget everything, in hopes that I can finally sort out my physique and understanding of my body,

I'm currently around 76 - 78kg and eat around 1700-2200kcals per day, never really eaten loads but I absolutely adore sugary drinks, coke pepsi etc, I've switched to diet and hopefully will wean myself off of that in the future also,

my question is,

1) with my body the way it is, cut to lose the fat, or eat at maintenance or bulk and try and gain some muscle?
    2) Is calories in / calories out really 99% of dieting?
    3) Based upon my physique what way would you tackle changing it? I'm not looking to become massive, maybe if my body changes I will want that, but as of right now I just want to have a normal physique not a developing dad bod at 24
    4) Is 1500 calories too low? I seem to only lose weight when sticking to 1500 calories..
    5) How come when I went down from 80kg to 74kg recently over 3 months of mountain climbing / 1500 calories I still looked identical?

Thanks for your time if you decide to help me!

J
    Attached Images

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1) cut
    2) yes
    3) pick a program (maybe fierce 5 novice) and eat in a deficit
    4) if you're counting correctly (i really assume you're not), then you'll unfortunately have to eat 1500
    5) because mountain climbing isn't the same as "real" resistance training, combined with the fact that sometimes 6 kilos isn't enough to see a real difference

sorry if it seems like a lazy reply, i'm just trying to give simple answers
    iifym crew

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The key phrase here is "lifting on and off". It takes sustained and committed effort to make a difference - even if you are not doing things optimally, effort and work ethic are still the things that make or break your results.

1. You could diet for a bit - but if you've been doing that most recently, I would suggest maintenance and planned progressive overload on a good expert designed routine. Maybe use calorie increases to keep progress moving - so you may end up having to gain some weight but you don't have to pile on the fat.

2. No. It's 100% of tissue gained or lost. Of course there are psychological factors affecting compliance too.

3. Just lose some fat, gain some muscle all over.

4. Yes - but you could be miscounting unless you were losing 2-3lbs a week at that level.

5. Simply because you have more bodyfat than you thought, many of us have been through the same thing. To get "shredded", you'd probably have to get really skinny in the process, that's just life as a natty lifter. Being shredded at 75kg would actually be a decently impressive end goal.

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    1) cut
    2) yes
    3) pick a program (maybe fierce 5 novice) and eat in a deficit
    4) if you're counting correctly (i really assume you're not), then you'll unfortunately have to eat 1500
    5) because mountain climbing isn't the same as "real" resistance training, combined with the fact that sometimes 6 kilos isn't enough to see a real difference

sorry if it seems like a lazy reply, i'm just trying to give simple answers
    no mate thankyou very much rather hear it as it is, not about that bull**** I just want results haha thanks for your time

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    The key phrase here is "lifting on and off". It takes sustained and committed effort to make a difference - even if you are not doing things optimally, effort and work ethic are still the things that make or break your results.

1. You could diet for a bit - but if you've been doing that most recently, I would suggest maintenance and planned progressive overload on a good expert designed routine. Maybe use calorie increases to keep progress moving - so you may end up having to gain some weight but you don't have to pile on the fat.

2. No. It's 100% of tissue gained or lost. Of course there are psychological factors affecting compliance too.

3. Just lose some fat, gain some muscle all over.

4. Yes - but you could be miscounting unless you were losing 2-3lbs a week at that level.

5. Simply because you have more bodyfat than you thought, many of us have been through the same thing. To get "shredded", you'd probably have to get really skinny in the process, that's just life as a natty lifter. Being shredded at 75kg would actually be a decently impressive end goal.
    Ok thank-you mate, that does explain why I look the same I have a lot of body fat to go, I'll try eating at 1700 I do track / weigh my food and see over 3 months if i see results, thank-you for your time I appreciate it.

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    i think i misunderstood the question and said yes to this

just to prevent confusion: OP, i meant that "calories in/calories out" is the biggest factor when it comes to gaining or losing weight, not so much the foods you eat
    iifym crew