xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Calories and macros in pizza

I realise that pizza is such a broad term (many different styles and toppings) that it's pretty much impossible to average out calories and macros, but I tried to do so anyway. It seems a 12"-14" regular pizza weighing around 850g (or at least the regular size in my country) yields around 2,000 calories (25%/60%/15% P/C/F), give or take 10% - which is a surprisingly high number to my mind for just a pizza. Just to get an idea of how much you're consuming, for calorie tracking purposes, how do you estimate the calories and macros in a pizza? I was thinking maybe starting off with an empty margherita pizza and then estimating the toppings.

Writing this out makes me look pedantic, but we bring pizza semi-regularly so I'd feel more comfortable knowing what I'm eating.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    since you eat it semi regularly, it's good to know how many calories are in it

even though i rarely eat pizza, i'd estimate it to be 1600-2000 calories. that's also why i prefer those frozen pizzas from the store, because their nutritional values are more accurate (they're around 800 calories but obviously smaller than a restaurant pizza)
    iifym crew

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    They're usually on the box. The may be similar from pizza to pizza but it's easy just to use the box.

BTW, percentage ratios are not a useful metric IMO - just have to know total calories and whether you are going to hit 30g of protein or more in a meal.

xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xuerebx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    since you eat it semi regularly, it's good to know how many calories are in it

even though i rarely eat pizza, i'd estimate it to be 1600-2000 calories. that's also why i prefer those frozen pizzas from the store, because their nutritional values are more accurate (they're around 800 calories but obviously smaller than a restaurant pizza)
    Frozen pizza is better for tracking purposes, I agree, but worse in terms of taste when compared to a traditional wood-burning stove (the smell is fantastic)! Your estimate is very close to mine.

EDIT: Not sure if there's something wrong with the forum, but I can't reply to SuffolkPunch for some reason as I get an error page "The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later. Reference #15.66ff1202.1600861045.4529c23b"

They're usually on the box. The may be similar from pizza to pizza but it's easy just to use the box.

BTW, percentage ratios are not a useful metric IMO - just have to know total calories and whether you are going to hit 30g of protein or more in a meal.
    In my country (Malta), you only get nutritional information if you buy from a supermarket or groceries, not when buying from say, a pizza outlet or a restaurant, which is why I am resorting to estimates.

First time I'm using ratios to be honest, thought it would be easier for the reader (I don't follow ratios, I follow the established guidelines on 0.7g-0.8g/lb for protein and 0.4g/lb for fats). I also try to target 30g protein per meal (in total I always hit the protein target, especially thanks to dinner (around 75g), but breakfast is the most difficult one for me to hit the protein target with just cereal. Thinking of adding Whey powder to my milk).

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Send a pic, guessing the calories in different types of pizza is an art and requires years of hard work to master lol

Originally Posted by Jcart159 View Post
    Send a pic, guessing the calories in different types of pizza is an art and requires years of hard work to master lol
    We order from different outlets, but one of my favourites is this:

https://ibb.co/Z8PDYL2

Smokey Jack - Tomato sauce, mozzarella, smoked cheese, marinated pulled pork, fried onions, green peppers, BBQ sauce
    Last edited by xuerebx; 09-26-2020 at 05:16 AM.

EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by xuerebx View Post
    We order from different outlets, but one of my favourites is this:

https://ibb.co/Z8PDYL2

Smokey Jack - Tomato sauce, mozzarella, smoked cheese, marinated pulled pork, fried onions, green peppers, BBQ sauce
    Oh my that looks amazing...
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 315
    Deadlift: 475

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Yes, yes it is. Probably its as calorie dense as much as it tastes delicious.

broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000)
    About 2.5 calories per gram sounds about right. I started making my own pizza a few months ago because pizza is pricey and marginal quality in coastal California. 270 grams of dough plus 4 ounces of cheese and a bit of sauce puts it's right over 400 grams. I estimate about 1000 calories based on the amount of flour and cheese with a minimal of sauce. This is for about a 10" cheese pizza. Adding fatty toppings like sausage and pepperoni can thrown this math off a bit into the 3 calories per gram range.

When I worked at a chain pizza place as a kid, a 14" large pizza had 8 ounces of cheese. This was written in their SOPs. A 14" has about double the area of a 10", so I think these numbers are good enough for practical purposes.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your best bet IMO is to find pizza nutritional info online and find the pizza that's the closest to what your eating.
    Many companies in America put out the nutritional break down of their pizzas.
    It may not be exact but it will be roughly close.

justamanlet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you don't know what the calories and macros are, you could always make your own; I use 2 cups of natural Greek yogurt and 3 cups of self-raising flour for the dough, and it's cooked in like 15 minutes.

I recommend not having sardines as a topping, and halve the recipe if you want to use a pizza tray because that one's for a baking tray.

Originally Posted by justamanlet View Post
    If you don't know what the calories and macros are, you could always make your own; I use 2 cups of natural Greek yogurt and 3 cups of self-raising flour for the dough, and it's cooked in like 15 minutes.

I recommend not having sardines as a topping, and halve the recipe if you want to use a pizza tray because that one's for a baking tray.
    Anything that is homemade is very easy to follow, which is what I do 70% of the time. When buying from take-outs/restaurants or eating someone else's food (e.g. visiting my mum or inlaws) you need to develop estimates however.

Originally Posted by broganoff View Post
    About 2.5 calories per gram sounds about right. I started making my own pizza a few months ago because pizza is pricey and marginal quality in coastal California. 270 grams of dough plus 4 ounces of cheese and a bit of sauce puts it's right over 400 grams. I estimate about 1000 calories based on the amount of flour and cheese with a minimal of sauce. This is for about a 10" cheese pizza. Adding fatty toppings like sausage and pepperoni can thrown this math off a bit into the 3 calories per gram range.

When I worked at a chain pizza place as a kid, a 14" large pizza had 8 ounces of cheese. This was written in their SOPs. A 14" has about double the area of a 10", so I think these numbers are good enough for practical purposes.
    Yeah I think 250 calories per 100g will be my estimated average going forward.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Your best bet IMO is to find pizza nutritional info online and find the pizza that's the closest to what your eating.
    Many companies in America put out the nutritional break down of their pizzas.
    It may not be exact but it will be roughly close.
    It's not mandated in Malta for restaurants our take-outs (wish it was). On the other hand if you buy from an established chain (e.g. Dominoes) you'll get the nutritional data, but pizza from a traditional pizzeria beats any other pizza

Apologies for triple posting - the forum doesn't let me post longer posts for some reason.