BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Power Rack for a Canuck

Hi to all,

I have looked through many of these forums and I find myself in a similar challenging situation to other Canadians - limited (reduced?) access to quality lifting equipment relative to our American neighbours. I am specifically looking for a high quality power rack. Specifically what I'm looking for:

- 6 post rack (preference not to bolt down)

- 3"x3" 11 gauge steel tubing

- 1" laser cut holes (with 1" hardware)

- Laser cut numbering

- bolt together (I have to get it into the basement, though I am getting a quote for the Legend model #3133 Performance Series Power Cage - just to see if I can fit the welded pieces down the stairs)

- Maximum height for the top horizontal crossmembers: 90" (the uprights can go as high as 100" in theory - between the floor joists)

- Maximum length ideally 80"

- Manufacture location: Ideally in Canada (preference to support Canadian business), though I recognize more options with American companies. I am not looking for gear designed in Canada but manufactured overseas (China).

- Access to various accessories: sandwich J cups, strap safeties, roller pads, dip stations, etc. For me, sandwich J cups, strap safeties, a good pull up bar and a dip station would be ideal - the rest is just gravy - for example, a built in/attachable Lat/row (plates - don't need separate weight system) would be nice!).

- Cost not an issue - though, of course my preference is not to overpay; for example, I know (you don't need to tell me) that I could get a custom rack from Sorinex delivered to my door - it would cost a lot - but it's possible (money makes most things possible). My point is, I don't necessarily need the lambo - I'm happy with the corvette. I'm am, however, looking for good quality gear that will last my lifetime ('buy once, get slapped by my wife once' - Coop). Open to all options.

BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sorry - for some reason could not post this all at once.

Continued:

I have done my homework but need the experts to 'weigh' in now. Racks I've looked at:

1. Sorinex XL - with the uber package. Still waiting on the quote for shipping and taxes, but I'm sure it will make a dent in the wallet. The positives: top of the line gear, customizable, lots of accessories, lifetime warranty, little things (like lining the inside of the J-cup bracket with UHMW to protect the rack). Negatives: expensive (many on this list are); shipping will likely be astronomical, laser cut numbers are additional cost (should be included at that price point, in my opinion).

2. Rogue RM-6 - kitted out similar to Sorinex XL. Positives: big company, lifetime warranty, great gear, customizable, gives shipping and taxes up front (about $450 to ship and $200 for taxes priced out). Negatives: 'American (again, partial to Canadian), not cheap (willing to pay - but are there 'better' options?), 49" width (vs 47" on the Sorinex XL) - I like the narrow width for re-racking.

3. As mentioned - getting a quote on the Legend rack: Positives - top of the line, accessories available (not to the extent of Sorinex, Rogue). Negatives: Shipping/taxes? (quote incoming), welded vs bolted (may not get it down the stairs)

Specifically for Canadian companies:

1. Gorila fitness - I got really excited about the new Kong series rack they came out with. Made in Canada with 11 gauge steel. Looks similar in design to Sorinex. Price not terrible (but not much cheaper than Rogue/Sorinex XL) - huge advantage is shipping - free to Edmonton (local pick up centre) - this makes a big difference with cost. I do have major concerns though - one, brand new rack, so literally no accessories (and unclear if/what will be developed - company says they are working on accessories - time will tell), which leads into the second issue, they went with 3.5" x 3.5" tubing (WTF) - company said for patent reasons (???), but essentially, cannot be used with other company accessories (they pulling a Sony, or what). Honestly, if they had a good assortment of accessories, I would probably go with them even with the funky tube sizing.

2. Tydax - Beast 49 looks good. Definitely on a lower level than Rogue/Sorinex in terms of finishing and accessories available - honestly, don't know much about them but look reasonably solid.

3. XTC - looked at both elite series and legacy series (P6) - not much information out there about them

4. Looked at Body solid SPR1000BackP5 through treadmillfactory.ca - is this rack even built in Canada - unclear from website?

For the Canadian companies specifically, it seems that things are built well but the little details are lacking (UHMW not lining safety bars, limited accessories, no safety straps etc).

I know that Mech6 was building custom gear in Canada - not sure if he's around and still providing quotes (I suspect he has already built something I'm looking for) - if you are around Mech6 would be happy to discuss business with you.

Look forward to hearing about your experiences/perspectives regarding any of the racks above (or others)

Cheers

Boss
    Last edited by BossMD; 09-13-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm not making anymore racks but I'm happy to help you figure this out. But, as I asked everyone in the past, why are you set on 3x3? And why the 1" holes? If you're dead set on those, I'd get the rogue. Or anyone else making a rack in those specs and then get rogue/sorinex accessories if you want. As long as it's actual 3x3, with 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" holes (the pins are 1", not the actual holes), then it'll fit.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

Hi Mech6,

Yeah - I should have been more accurate with the hole sizing I guess (tough to get 1"hardware into a 1"hole!). I'm not set on size of the tubing or holes at all (or on nothing really) - I personally like the look of 1" hardware on a 3x3 frame (5/8" looks 'small') - this is more of an aesthetic preference as I'm sure I will never have more weight on the rack than 5/8 hardware can handle. I suspect my preferences have been biased through talking with many of my friends who also lift and have their own home gyms. I have looked at other racks as well with different tube/hardware sizing (for example: RML-690 - 3x3 with 5/8 hardware, R-6 with 2x3 and 5/8 hardware, gorila fitness SP3R power rack with 2.5x2.5 and 1/2 hardware (again - gorila using unusual sizing - at least relative to other companies). I have even checked out the bells of steel brute and light commercial racks - seem like great bang for you buck, but by their own admission, you are getting less quality (manufactured in China) but more frills and saving money for other gear.

Really, I'm at a loss (after looking at all the options that I'm aware of). I recognize that there are many racks on the market that would serve my purposes - the rack will be the centrepiece of my new home gym. I'm looking for something that can handle weight and abuse, will last a long time/forever (buy right once) and can be modified/have accessories added as required as my workouts change with time. My priority is to get a great rack - with a very close second priority of trying to keep it Canadian if possible (would prefer to try to support our local/national economy - this was my preference pre-COVID, but certainly even more so now. If you tell me that a great rack is a 2/3 frame with 5/8 hardware and that sucker will be something I can hand off to my kids when I kick the bucket, I'm all ears man. Consider me a clean slate.

Cheers

Boss

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BossMD View Post
    If you tell me that a great rack is a 2/3 frame with 5/8 hardware and that sucker will be something I can hand off to my kids when I kick the bucket, I'm all ears man. Consider me a clean slate.
    A 2x3 rack will be more than you'll ever need. The original racks at Westside Barbell were 2x2 and they held up under some of the biggest lifters on the planet. A local powerlifter has a Titan 2x2 rack and they slam around bars loaded in the 500lb -700lb range with out any issue. It doesn't take much steel to hold up under a lot of weight. That said, there's something about an oversized , heavy rack that's badass to have and use so get what you like but realize you don't NEED a rack with the bigger tubing.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd get the northern lights 2x3 rogue clone.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    Based on my experience, 3x3 is definitely overkill. I wouldn't hesitate to go for 2x3 and Northern Lights seems like a pretty good brand available in Canada.

TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    The original racks at Westside Barbell were 2x2 and they held up under some of the biggest lifters on the planet.
    I believe Dan Green still lifts exclusively in a 2x2 rack, and he's definitely a strong mo fo.

Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    That said, there's something about an oversized , heavy rack that's badass to have and use so get what you like but realize you don't NEED a rack with the bigger tubing.
    That's why I got my 3x3. I love my 1.5" spacing and 5/8" holes. Only drawback is a Rogue/Sorinex don't put their "best" stuff out for 5/8" hole racks.

zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Check out powerbody fitness in mississauga (i'm sure they ship across Canada) www.powerbodyfitnessinc.com

They can build it to your liking. I bought my 6 post rack there, 2x3, 5/8 holes, 1.5" spacing. I have a low ceiling so they built it to the height I wanted. They use UHMW on their hooks. They don't sell safety straps but I was lucky enough to buy those from Mech.

There are a few pics of it here:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1556042151
    Last edited by zoom008; 09-14-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Hi zoom008 - thank-you for sharing. I sent them a text to see if they can build me something.

Cheers

Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BossMD View Post
    sorry - for some reason could not post this all at once.

Continued:

I have done my homework but need the experts to 'weigh' in now. Racks I've looked at:

1. Sorinex XL - with the uber package. Still waiting on the quote for shipping and taxes, but I'm sure it will make a dent in the wallet. The positives: top of the line gear, customizable, lots of accessories, lifetime warranty, little things (like lining the inside of the J-cup bracket with UHMW to protect the rack). Negatives: expensive (many on this list are); shipping will likely be astronomical, laser cut numbers are additional cost (should be included at that price point, in my opinion).

2. Rogue RM-6 - kitted out similar to Sorinex XL. Positives: big company, lifetime warranty, great gear, customizable, gives shipping and taxes up front (about $450 to ship and $200 for taxes priced out). Negatives: 'American (again, partial to Canadian), not cheap (willing to pay - but are there 'better' options?), 49" width (vs 47" on the Sorinex XL) - I like the narrow width for re-racking.

3. As mentioned - getting a quote on the Legend rack: Positives - top of the line, accessories available (not to the extent of Sorinex, Rogue). Negatives: Shipping/taxes? (quote incoming), welded vs bolted (may not get it down the stairs)

Specifically for Canadian companies:

1. Gorila fitness - I got really excited about the new Kong series rack they came out with. Made in Canada with 11 gauge steel. Looks similar in design to Sorinex. Price not terrible (but not much cheaper than Rogue/Sorinex XL) - huge advantage is shipping - free to Edmonton (local pick up centre) - this makes a big difference with cost. I do have major concerns though - one, brand new rack, so literally no accessories (and unclear if/what will be developed - company says they are working on accessories - time will tell), which leads into the second issue, they went with 3.5" x 3.5" tubing (WTF) - company said for patent reasons (???), but essentially, cannot be used with other company accessories (they pulling a Sony, or what). Honestly, if they had a good assortment of accessories, I would probably go with them even with the funky tube sizing.

2. Tydax - Beast 49 looks good. Definitely on a lower level than Rogue/Sorinex in terms of finishing and accessories available - honestly, don't know much about them but look reasonably solid.

3. XTC - looked at both elite series and legacy series (P6) - not much information out there about them

4. Looked at Body solid SPR1000BackP5 through treadmillfactory.ca - is this rack even built in Canada - unclear from website?

For the Canadian companies specifically, it seems that things are built well but the little details are lacking (UHMW not lining safety bars, limited accessories, no safety straps etc).

I know that Mech6 was building custom gear in Canada - not sure if he's around and still providing quotes (I suspect he has already built something I'm looking for) - if you are around Mech6 would be happy to discuss business with you.

Look forward to hearing about your experiences/perspectives regarding any of the racks above (or others)

Cheers

Boss
    Hello: I recommend Extreme Monkey (XM Fitness) infinity series rack. You can get at Teradmill Factory (aka: Fitness Favtory). It has everything you are looking for. That you listed. It is sturdy and easy to put together with a ratchet set. I recommend the 7 footer for one specific reason: the lat attachment that goes to 200lbs and includes 2 additional weight horns (additional $750,
    Plus I paid for installation - don’t want to mess with cables). I total, the rack and lat attachment there is a deal for I believe $1799
    I got the 8 foot rack used, just lowered the back bar to 7 feet so they could put the lat attachment.
    Another bonus, they just released adjustable leverage arms for shoulder and chest press movements,
    Rows, shrugs, etc.
    A couple other pluses: the adjustable bar To hold you down for lat Pulldown has a thick foam Center. Adjusted correctly it can be used to hold your legs while mimicking a GHD (use
    Bench for knees).
    By lowering it (it’s attaches to the safety bars) it makes for a comfortable split squat
    I also have the dip handles.
    Hope that helps. If you are in the Mississauga area it’s well worth the price.
    Avoid Fit505, there’s a reason their racks are so cheap. Hope that helps.

Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xcel75 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Send me a PM if you want more info.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Powerbody makes the XTC racks... or at least they used to. The XTC/Powerbody racks are quite nice, excellent fit and finish and highly customizable. I have never owned one, but have seen many in person and they are serious racks. I have to agree with Mech on the NL system though, It is hard to beat as you can create whatever you want with off the shelf parts and expand/swap as needed. I built one with a review somewhere on this site a few years back that could probably be found by searching. I check in on it on occasion and it is still going strong with multiple daily users.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Powerbody makes the XTC racks... or at least they used to. The XTC/Powerbody racks are quite nice, excellent fit and finish and highly customizable. I have never owned one, but have seen many in person and they are serious racks. I have to agree with Mech on the NL system though, It is hard to beat as you can create whatever you want with off the shelf parts and expand/swap as needed. I built one with a review somewhere on this site a few years back that could probably be found by searching. I check in on it on occasion and it is still going strong with multiple daily users.
    Hey GI - nice to see you around!

I agree about the NL racks. As well, if you deal with a salesperson direct, you may get even cheaper pricing.
    ▪[[────]]▪ York Barbell Club #65 ▪[[────]]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #65 []---[]
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #3 ▪[M]===[6]▪
    ─</>─<\>─ BWTG Cluster #65 ─</>─<\>─
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #65 ||---|| ▪█────█▪ Equipment Crew #74 ▪█────█▪

Sig line is not a novel.

bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bean438 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post

This^^

You will absolutely not find a better deal than crossbox at fitness depot. As good as rogue, made in Canada, and if you pick up locally no shipping.

I’m concerned though, the racks are not listed on the website anymore. Possibly due to covid?

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Hey GI - nice to see you around!

I agree about the NL racks. As well, if you deal with a salesperson direct, you may get even cheaper pricing.
    Thanks! I still check in on occasion to see whats new but I don’t post often.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()