jwaza31 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How do I stay Lean and skinny as a runner but get strong?

Hi everyone,

College distance runner here. Just started the fierce 5 program 2 weeks ago. I run 70 miles per week. My nutritionist has me at 3500-4000 cals a day right now. im 5'9 140lbs. I would like to stay skinny/lean but get strong and toned as too much extra weight will affect my performance in running. What do I do to avoid getting "bulky"?

Thanks

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    "bulky" means both more muscle and more fat. So this only happens if you actively overeat (what we usually call bulking).

You can get a little stronger without gaining weight - but this has a ceiling which you will probably find is nothing special. After a point, you need more muscle tissue to provide further strength gains.

Just do weight training and eat at maintenance.

Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    "bulky" means both more muscle and more fat. So this only happens if you actively overeat (what we usually call bulking).

You can get a little stronger without gaining weight - but this has a ceiling which you will probably find is nothing special. After a point, you need more muscle tissue to provide further strength gains.

Just do weight training and eat at maintenance.
    hmmm i dont think so.
    there are lots of people who can eat whatever they want and they wont getting fat.
    i think u call them hardgainer. they are so lucky because they can eat and eat and they only gain muscles and very very littte fat.
    i think he is one of these persons coz he weighs so little.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Polaczo View Post
    hmmm i dont think so.
    there are lots of people who can eat whatever they want and they wont getting fat.
    i think u call them hardgainer. they are so lucky because they can eat and eat and they only gain muscles and very very littte fat.
    i think he is one of these persons coz he weighs so little.
    They can eat whatever they want - that doesn't mean they are eating a lot. They just have a small appetite.

It's widely reported in studies that fatter people tend to under estimate their intake and thinner people tend to over estimate.

Bottom line: appetite is a powerful force which is very hard to overcome consistently over time.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Train and eat at maintenance.

Quite simple really
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stronger at what?

camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50) camilahenry will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How do I stay Lean and skinny as a runner but get strong?

This is my question, which i ask usually and never got any good answer.

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eat at your maintenance calories, lift progressively heavier weights

WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Something I haven't seen brought up here is "high volume." My perspective could be wrong, but this is the way I see it. And this is coming from someone who was defined as a "hard gainer" all my life, by genetics. My mother was 130 lbs, my pops was 135 lbs soaking wet. I was 130 lbs when I started training 2.5 years ago. Today, I'm at almost 200 lbs.

My intention was to get stronger and bigger both. To get both, stronger and bigger, I realized I had to take in a huge calorie surplus. For the last 2.5 years, I spent my days stuffing 6,000 calories minimum a day down me to get to where I am. I drank a gallon of milk most days, with chicken, brisket, and t-bones for most of my meals. Obviously my goals were a little different, because I wanted size to support my strength.

However, along my journey, there was times when bulking I realized I was gaining some body fat with the muscle that I was gaining. I didn't mind a lot of fat because I knew it was part of bulking, but I wanted to stay fairly lean.

Along the journey, I noticed by body fat % was lower when I was doing a TON of volume. By a TON of volume, I mean running the Arnold Split, 2x a day workout, 6-days a week, with intense amounts of volume. With that, I kept making gains, and my body fat % started staying in the lower range. I also attribute being able to make so much gains in 2.5 years and stay fairly lean, due to doing high amounts of body weight movements, push up's, pull up's, and dips, although I do them weighted.

If I wanted to get super strong and stay super lean, my approach would probably be sticking with high volume body movements. I'd start with weighted pull up's, dip's, and push up's, for say 250 reps with + 5 lbs. Than work your way up to doing 250 reps with + 45 lbs and so on. The high volume I believe will give you the aesthetic look your looking for, and you'll gain super strength that's useable in real life with the weighted body movements.