DatAlbino is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post It's been 9 months. My 'newbie gains' have ended. What do I do now?

First off, much love for anyone who comments or tries to help out, really appreciate it.

I'm 24M, and this year did the whole cliche 'This is my gym year' thing. I stuck to it though, even through COVID from home. I started pretty skinny fat and I'm very happy with how I am now. Happy to post progress pics if that helps.

However, I'm aware I've been benefiting massively from newbie gains as this is the first real time in my life I've done this, and that is definitely ending. I've hit a plateau with muscle growth, definition, and I also know I need to change up my nutrition and workout plan to surpass this.

Thing is, I'm not sure WHAT to do, only that I need to do something. This whole time I've been doing total body workouts 3x a week, no splits (lat raises, shoulder raises, chest flys, dumbbell press, sit ups, bicycle crunches, leg raises, wide-foot squats).

I'm in 2 minds over whether I need to start doing a split training method now or not, and if so, do I go for a classic PPL or something different. I also feel I need to commit to either bulking or cutting in relation to calories, as I've just been eating at a slight cut/maintenance this whole time, but I don't think that's working anymore.

In a nutshell, I'm pretty stuck, and when you're not making progress like you were it's super easy to get demotivated and eat pizza, which is not what I want to do long term (I did that last week)

Hoping for some advice to help me out, cheers!

A.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What equipment do you have access to?

If barbell & plates + squat rack & bench, then you'll benefit by running a proper program. Several free ones we can recommend.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

DatAlbino is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    What equipment do you have access to?

If barbell & plates + squat rack & bench, then you'll benefit by running a proper program. Several free ones we can recommend.
    Thanks for the reply. I currently have access to adjustable dumbbells, a resistance band, and an exercise mat, as well as anything you may have around the house.

I am pretty close to rejoining a local gym though. I moved into my current flat in June and there's a cheap, open gym literally a 2 minute walk away, so may be that I go back to the gym.

I definitely need a program though. I'm not a 'fly with the wind' kinda guy. I need to know what I'm doing and just do it, it's how I operate.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Read the sticky on the Fierce 5. There is a link in that sticky to a comprehensive list of Fierce 5 variations. I like PPLrULr.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DatAlbino View Post
    This whole time I've been doing total body workouts 3x a week, no splits (lat raises, shoulder raises, chest flys, dumbbell press, sit ups, bicycle crunches, leg raises, wide-foot squats).

I'm in 2 minds over whether I need to start doing a split training method now or not, and if so, do I go for a classic PPL or something different. I also feel I need to commit to either bulking or cutting in relation to calories, as I've just been eating at a slight cut/maintenance this whole time, but I don't think that's working anymore.
    Whatever you do, make sure you work out your back too since your prior program wasn't "total body" without it. At your level, you don't need to do a "classic PPL" since it may be hard for you to progress with that amount of volume and it may be counterproductive. But your choice. An Upper/Lower (examples in the stickies) might be more suitable if you don't want to do a full body workout.

No one can give you useful advice on bulking or cutting without more info or pics.

daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Whatever you do, make sure you work out your back too since your prior program wasn't "total body" without it. At your level, you don't need to do a "classic PPL" since it may be hard for you to progress with that amount of volume and it may be counterproductive. But your choice. An Upper/Lower (examples in the stickies) might be more suitable if you don't want to do a full body workout.

No one can give you useful advice on bulking or cutting without more info or pics.
    My guess is you weren't on a proper novice program (understandably with lack of equipment, COVID, etc). So you'd likely still benefit from plenty of newbie gains on a proper program, but you can't do that with your current equipment.

You mentioned you were going to join a proper gym. Do that sooner than later. Look at the full body novice programs on this forum, something like Fierce 5 novice.

Run it until you legitimately stall (read the program details to understand what that means). Then switch to a proper U/L.

dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DatAlbino View Post
    First off, much love for anyone who comments or tries to help out, really appreciate it.

I'm 24M, and this year did the whole cliche 'This is my gym year' thing. I stuck to it though, even through COVID from home. I started pretty skinny fat and I'm very happy with how I am now. Happy to post progress pics if that helps.

However, I'm aware I've been benefiting massively from newbie gains as this is the first real time in my life I've done this, and that is definitely ending. I've hit a plateau with muscle growth, definition, and I also know I need to change up my nutrition and workout plan to surpass this.

Thing is, I'm not sure WHAT to do, only that I need to do something. This whole time I've been doing total body workouts 3x a week, no splits (lat raises, shoulder raises, chest flys, dumbbell press, sit ups, bicycle crunches, leg raises, wide-foot squats).

In a nutshell, I'm pretty stuck, and when you're not making progress like you were it's super easy to get demotivated and eat pizza, which is not what I want to do long term (I did that last week)

Hoping for some advice to help me out, cheers!

A.
    So the 'total body' workout you did before didnt work your back really at all?
    Current Program: 5-3-1
    e1RMs:
    D: 295 S: 275 B: 250 Press: 115

Burst/Wedge fracture L1 May 3, 2013 - no surgery
    Medial and Lateral Collateral Ligament tears right elbow March 2014
    - All Non-lifting related injuries -