Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cutting plan

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AdamFrostburg View Post
    Okay. Last question (for now):

With the fierce 5, can I do the "machine" version of some of these exercises, because that's what I find easiest as a solo gym goer. For example, I do the chest press machine instead of using the barbell on the bench, I also use the leg press instead of the squat rack, I also use the row machine instead of pendlay rows. Facepulls I do the normal way, but alot of these are just more time efficient if I'm on a machine rather than sliding plates on and off a barbell. It would be easier if I had a workout buddy, but that's not the case currently.
    that's the lazy and suboptimal way to do it. maybe it's decent for someone who just wants to exercise and stay healthy, you know, gym once a week type of guy

it's like taking up boxing but only practicing punches and not movement

the bottom line is you want to do compound movements if you value gains
    iifym crew

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Okay. Last question (for now):

With the fierce 5, can I do the "machine" version of some of these exercises, because that's what I find easiest as a solo gym goer. For example, I do the chest press machine instead of using the barbell on the bench, I also use the leg press instead of the squat rack, I also use the row machine instead of pendlay rows. Facepulls I do the normal way, but alot of these are just more time efficient if I'm on a machine rather than sliding plates on and off a barbell. It would be easier if I had a workout buddy, but that's not the case currently.
    IMHO no. You should be doing fierce 5 as described by the program not trying to make it easier it kinda defeats the object of weight training.

I have seen on the workout section recently more of a shift towards people saying machine vs free weight doesn't matter as much but from experience and semi support by literature free weights are still the most important especially for anyone below upper intermediate level.

I find using machine just allows people to go through motion instead of fully pushing themselves.

So no.

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It takes a long time of consistency to achieve a great physique. The main thing is consistency... I would say from PERSONAL experience you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but you have to eat around maintenance calories, you have to get strong as phuck and you have to be consistent. How do I know? Because I used to look like you.

It is entirely up to you though. How badly do you want to change your physique and go beast mode? It will take a long time, it is a life style. Is it a lifestyle you can handle or do you prefer spinning your wheels and making excuses?

For reference I'm 160 5'9, I used to be 250lbs, and then when I looked like you I was 170lb, I probably had some more muscle because I was overweight. Anyway my point is. Stop making all these damn excuses and be consistent.

You gotta keep pushing yourself to be better, stronger and more capable. This isn't a hobby, this is a life style. Ain't nobody got a good physique by doing it half-assed.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG
    I don't go to the gym anymore so above stats are useless.

Only do weighted calastentics in the comfort of my own home!

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The only reason I used machines is because I am always at the gym solo. I never have a spotter, so machines feel safer than a barbell. Additionally, I feel like I can push myself harder on a machine because they all have built-in safeties. I can go until maximum output, without having to worry about getting stuck under a barbell or collapsing. Lastly, I can take shorter rests in between sets as the time involved in getting into position is nil. It's just push until I stop. No time worried about getting "into position." It would be fantastic if I had a workout buddy; then this would be a non-concern.

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only reason I used machines is because I am always at the gym solo. I never have a spotter, so machines feel safer than a barbell. Additionally, I feel like I can push myself harder on a machine because they all have built-in safeties. I can go until maximum output, without having to worry about getting stuck under a barbell or collapsing. Lastly, I can take shorter rests in between sets as the time involved in getting into position is nil. It's just push until I stop. No time worried about getting "into position." It would be fantastic if I had a workout buddy; then this would be a non-concern.
    you also neglect a lot of your musculature eith machines since you dont have to stabilize anything so really you are just selling yourself short.
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG
    I don't go to the gym anymore so above stats are useless.

Only do weighted calastentics in the comfort of my own home!

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Junsuiakai View Post
    you also neglect a lot of your musculature eith machines since you dont have to stabilize anything so really you are just selling yourself short.
    Then for safety considerations, I would probably have to do dumbell squats/bench/RDLs rather than use a barbell. Atleast until I get stronger.

Okay, super last question. Some of the exercises can be done with dumbells (bench, squat, RDLs, Shoulder Press, Calf raises), others need machines (face pulls, rows, tricep pressdowns, lat pulls). I do have a bench and dumbells at home. Can I start with the dumbell exercises at home, and then head down to the gym and finish my exercises with the machine versions there, or is that too much time duration in the workout?

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Junsuiakai View Post
    Yep.

The stabilizing muscles contribute a lot to your overall strength level (and physique).

I mean there is a reason why I (for example) at 158# in weight can do the seated chest press of "220#" on a machine for 10 reps while at the same time can only bench press 180# for 6-7 reps with a barbell (and a pair of 65# dumbbells for 8-10 reps).

Machines have a place in a balanced workout routine... for intermediate and advanced lifters. Not so much for beginners even though (somewhat ironically) the machines are what many beginners head for when they first start out not realizing that they are selling their workouts short by using them rather than developing proper training technique with free weights.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    does your gym not have a rack with safety bars? that's a pretty standard thing to have in a gym

my gym doesn't have a safe bench setup (might be the same for most people), but it's not really an excuse to not bench at all. just make sure you don't go for another rep if you feel like it's impossible to push back up

Then for safety considerations, I would probably have to do dumbell squats/bench/RDLs rather than use a barbell. Atleast until I get stronger.

Okay, super last question. Some of the exercises can be done with dumbells (bench, squat, RDLs, Shoulder Press, Calf raises), others need machines (face pulls, rows, tricep pressdowns, lat pulls). I do have a bench and dumbells at home. Can I start with the dumbell exercises at home, and then head down to the gym and finish my exercises with the machine versions there, or is that too much time duration in the workout?
    sure you can, but it sounds a bit inconvenient and honestly not worth it imo
    iifym crew

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not sure why you would need a gym partner to do barbell squats, RDL's, pendlay rows, etc. I do all of those things on my own in the gym. You should be using the power rack with safety bars when you squat. The other exercises you don't need a spotter for since you can just put the weight down. Bench press is the only one that can get iffy if you're trying to max out, but even then you should be able to lift within your capability and stop 1-2 reps short of failure. I bench without a spotter all the time (spotting is actually not allowed in my gym right now due to mandatory social distancing practices).
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Can I start with the dumbell exercises at home, and then head down to the gym and finish my exercises with the machine versions there, or is that too much time duration in the workout?
    Splitting your exercises throughout the day won’t really effect overall progress as totally weekly volume (per muscle group) is the main thing.

However you break things up you just need to ask yourself: “can I stick to this week after week and month after month?” If all this splitting things up makes it harder for you to stick to a plan and you end up dropping volume over time, that can impact your ability to progress and rob you of some potential gains.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    I'm not sure why you would need a gym partner to do barbell squats, RDL's, pendlay rows, etc. I do all of those things on my own in the gym. You should be using the power rack with safety bars when you squat. The other exercises you don't need a spotter for since you can just put the weight down. Bench press is the only one that can get iffy if you're trying to max out, but even then you should be able to lift within your capability and stop 1-2 reps short of failure. I bench without a spotter all the time (spotting is actually not allowed in my gym right now due to mandatory social distancing practices).
    Tbh, spotters are not really the biggest issue because historically, I have always done dumbell bench and squats rather than using a barbell. Using dumbells tends to relieve some anxiety for me as there is an easy "escape" if I reach failure, and so I feel more free to really go all out. I can just drop the weights to my sides if it comes down to it. This is especially true with squats (an exercise I've never enjoyed). Anyway, I just got home from the gym, I did the B set for the Fierce 5. I did to the RDLs using dumbells until I noticed something in the gym that I havn't noticed before. They have floor mounted pulley cables with handles that you can grip to do RDLs. I tried this, and I noticed that while my arms were angled out to the sides more, I could still kind of isolate my hamstrings and glutes when loaded with the weights. So my following question is: do cables make more use of your "stabilizer muscles" than do machines? I feel like they are a better middle ground between machines and free weights. This is only speculation though, and it's not entirely important tbh as RDLs are one of the few exercises that I am 100% comfortable doing using barbells.
    Last edited by AdamFrostburg; 09-24-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Another addition I want to make is out of the entire Fierce 5 set, the only two exercises I have never been able to execute are the front squat and the plendlay row. Back squats I can do, but I always avoided the front squat. And can't even figure out the pendlay row, even though I've watched numerous videos on both. In the past, I've always just substituted normal cable rows for the pendlay rows, but to be honest, I should probably learn to do both exercises.