notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100)

Drinking mostly home made shakes to gain muscle

Hello,

I'm skinny with a very low apetite (classic ectomorph if you believe those categories)
    The only method that worked for me so far for gaining weight is incorporating home made gainer shakes with my diet.

I have no problems drinking a shake but the meal is always different and inconsistent so it makes it hard to count calories and sometimes I'm too busy or lazy to make it.
    Also regular meals destroy my apetite sometimes even for the rest of the day.

I know its a bad idea to only eat supplements the entire day but my question is can I stick with getting my 2500-3000 calories mostly from shakes since technically its not supplements since it contains real food (oat, pb, honey, milk, fruit)?
    I can add snacks like trail mix, cheeses, fruit, eggs between the shakes so it's not 100% shakes

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    of course, as long as you're not getting tons of calories from some mass gainer shakes, you know, the meal replacement type of ones
    iifym crew

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by notthestone View Post
    Hello,

I'm skinny with a very low apetite (classic ectomorph if you believe those categories)
    The only method that worked for me so far for gaining weight is incorporating home made gainer shakes with my diet.

I have no problems drinking a shake but the meal is always different and inconsistent so it makes it hard to count calories and sometimes I'm too busy or lazy to make it.
    Also regular meals destroy my apetite sometimes even for the rest of the day.

I know its a bad idea to only eat supplements the entire day but my question is can I stick with getting my 2500-3000 calories mostly from shakes since technically its not supplements since it contains real food (oat, pb, honey, milk, fruit)?
    I can add snacks like trail mix, cheeses, fruit, eggs between the shakes so it's not 100% shakes
    2500-3000 calories is a large range.

If you're 'skinny' right now, probably a good idea to lock in a more consistent intake so you can gain weight.
    The power of carbs compels me!

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Real food is real food, technically it doesn't really matter if you want to throw it in a blender and call it a shake or not. There's another guy on here that drinks his regular meals by turning them into shakes (think chicken and broccoli and rice all blended into a shake), personally I find that disgusting but it worked for him.

Just make sure you're getting at least 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight per day, and hopefully you're strength training as well so that you're adding muscle and not just putting on fat.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100) notthestone is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Real food is real food, technically it doesn't really matter if you want to throw it in a blender and call it a shake or not. There's another guy on here that drinks his regular meals by turning them into shakes (think chicken and broccoli and rice all blended into a shake), personally I find that disgusting but it worked for him.

Just make sure you're getting at least 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight per day, and hopefully you're strength training as well so that you're adding muscle and not just putting on fat.
    Interesting, I think the main problem of us thinking rice and chicken is disgusting in a shake is because our brain isn't used to chicken taste in liquid form so we subconciously want to throw up when we eat it.

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    2500-3000 calories is a large range.

If you're 'skinny' right now, probably a good idea to lock in a more consistent intake so you can gain weight.
    Yea I have a consistent number, what I mean was lets say I need to eat 3200 so 2500~3000/3200 from shakes and the rest, 200~700 from snacks and small regular meals

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is a well considered and sustainable plan of action.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Interesting, I think the main problem of us thinking rice and chicken is disgusting in a shake is because our brain isn't used to chicken taste in liquid form so we subconciously want to throw up when we eat it.
    And my brain would be correct it is disgusting.

I am sure the evolution process of having teeth and jaws was not for us humans to then drink all our food.

A puree diet sounds like something a baby or infirm pensioner would be doing not grown men/ women.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, it's because liquidizing solid chicken in a blender is pretty much the consistency of vomit. Chicken taste in liquid form would be chicken soup.

Add veggies to your list of real food in the original post if you want a chance at a balanced shake diet. If you're as finicky about your workouts as you are about diet it'll be tough to gain muscle.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    And my brain would be correct it is disgusting.

I am sure the evolution process of having teeth and jaws was not for us humans to then drink all our food.

A puree diet sounds like something a baby or infirm pensioner would be doing not grown men/ women.
    I think the poster that drinks his meals is a well known competitor on the forum, if I remember right maybe it was Smokinal?
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I think the poster that drinks his meals is a well known competitor on the forum, if I remember right maybe it was Smokinal?
    blending Meat mixture is like eating canned cat food or dog food. I mean nutritionally sure living off shakes is fine. But mentally it can not be healthy nor sustainable and cleaning a blender 3 times a day takes just as long as cooking a meal. I mean maybe longer if your cooking the meat or rice before throwing it in.

Op: you need to ask yourself what the mental hurtle is with eating regular foods. Is there a fear? I feel something deeper is going on here over then your too full or lazy. Shakes will fill you up all the same as regular food not turned into baby food mush.
    Insta is username snails.r.us

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah it was.

Its still disgusting :-)

He looks like a living Greek God but still its disgusting lol

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    blending Meat mixture is like eating canned cat food or dog food.
    This is my view as well.

I am sure my dogs would probably not eat it either if it was in a liquid shake form if too watery. God it sounds horrible.

Stew and Soups are one thing but a smoothie of meat sounds like something from a horror movie.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    He looks like a living Greek God but still its disgusting lol
    OP, in the long run it'll be difficult to maintain proper nutrition this way and isn't going to help your current eating habits get better - which will affect other aspects of your life. For ex - this may not be a priority now, but it'll be tough maintaining a relationship if you're always liquifying your half of the meal. If you're not competing and don't look like a Greek god, people won't give you any leeway on stuff like that.

blending Meat mixture is like eating canned cat food or dog food. I mean nutritionally sure living off shakes is fine. But mentally it can not be healthy nor sustainable and cleaning a blender 3 times a day takes just as long as cooking a meal. I mean maybe longer if your cooking the meat or rice before throwing it in.

Op: you need to ask yourself what the mental hurtle is with eating regular foods. Is there a fear? I feel something deeper is going on here over then your too full or lazy. Shakes will fill you up all the same as regular food not turned into baby food mush.
    No fear, regular food just fills me up unless I devour it quickly so it makes it harder to fill in all the needed calories throughout the day because I eat like 700 calories and then I'm full for 5 hours.
    I have no problem eating regular food, but I will never consistently (or even once) reach my calorie goal this way.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    OP, in the long run it'll be difficult to maintain proper nutrition this way and isn't going to help your current eating habits get better - which will affect other aspects of your life. For ex - this may not be a priority now, but it'll be tough maintaining a relationship if you're always liquifying your half of the meal. If you're not competing and don't look like a Greek god, people won't give you any leeway on stuff like that.
    I have no problem eating regular meals, but as I said they can fill me up very quickly so I usually eat around 700 calories in a regular meal.
    At family dinners (for ex) I won't go and have a shake, I'll eat the meal and drink less of the shake. My point is that regular food, for me, is less predictable and sustainable and requires extra time and planning (consistently) to achieve the same results.

I don't know what people wrote about it being the same time but a shake takes 3 minutes to make, 2 minutes to drink and 2 minutes to clean. If anyone knows another way to get in 1500 calories in 7 minutes with 0 preparations I'd love to hear it

If anyone knows another way to get in 1500 calories in 7 minutes with 0 preparations I'd love to hear it
    You must be a very busy person. To each their own, if you can get all your nutrients (which is more than just calories) from shakes go for it.

I just can’t imagine not enjoying eating food, where it’s viewed as an obstacle and only sustenance.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What matters is that you consume enough calories, protein, fat, fiber, micronutrients and phytonutrients.

Whether it's in solid form or blended doesn't matter.

snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    No fear, regular food just fills me up unless I devour it quickly so it makes it harder to fill in all the needed calories throughout the day because I eat like 700 calories and then I'm full for 5 hours.
    I have no problem eating regular food, but I will never consistently (or even once) reach my calorie goal this way.

I have no problem eating regular meals, but as I said they can fill me up very quickly so I usually eat around 700 calories in a regular meal.
    At family dinners (for ex) I won't go and have a shake, I'll eat the meal and drink less of the shake. My point is that regular food, for me, is less predictable and sustainable and requires extra time and planning (consistently) to achieve the same results.

I don't know what people wrote about it being the same time but a shake takes 3 minutes to make, 2 minutes to drink and 2 minutes to clean. If anyone knows another way to get in 1500 calories in 7 minutes with 0 preparations I'd love to hear it
    your food will digest at the same rate blended or not blended. It will keep you full all the same. Blending can not change absorption rate nor digestive. A shake with cooked meat takes longer than 0 minutes to make and prep and cleaning the blender.
    Insta is username snails.r.us

paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This reminds of something a college professor said in a lecture. "The ruling class lives to eat. The working class eats to live."

I don't remember what the class was, but that statement is the only thing I remember from the class.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    your food will digest at the same rate blended or not blended. It will keep you full all the same. Blending can not change absorption rate nor digestive. A shake with cooked meat takes longer than 0 minutes to make and prep and cleaning the blender.
    Is that true? I would imagine food in liquid form moves through the stomach far faster than food that is unchewed...

I mean if you swallow a piece of meat without chewing it at all, the digestive enzymes in your mouth didn't do any predigesting, so I would have thought movement would slow down.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This isn't true:https://www.researchgate.net/publica...s_the_evidence. Liquid calories only appear more satiating if consumed close to a meal & it's a high volume of fluid. Solids are satiating for longer. Otherwise, liquid cals tend to be less filling because they're already somewhat processed and "digested". What's more, some binging behaviors are triggered by the lack of the sensation of "chewing" a certain number of times, among other things. The process of eating is actually pretty important to satiety. Here's a study of the effects of chewing on hunger: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26188140/.
    Last edited by Strawng; 09-21-2020 at 08:37 PM.