SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000)

Bench isn’t improving

Before lockdown I could get 80kg x 10. But now after trying to get my lifts back up, my barbell bench is still lacking. My other lifts are going fine except chest exercises. Overhead press is good, rows good, etc. They’re all going up slightly. I’ve noticed my chest hasn’t been the same since the start of 2020 (before lockdown).

I’m also eating in a surplus btw. But every time I come back for bench, I get the same reps with the same weight. Bench 1-2x a week. Every time I’m getting 80kg x 5-6 at 78kgs. I used to get higher with less body weight. When I was hitting these lifts, I was training chest about 3x a week. So that could be a factor.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    A lot of people put more effort into their bench that other lifts - so it is further down the road and probably needs other lifts to catch up.

What are your other lifts?

One approach is to drop the weight back down to say 70kg. Use that 2-3x, aiming for progression then increase by 2.5kg and keep going until you work back to 80kg

SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000) SnipeItLikePro is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    A lot of people put more effort into their bench that other lifts - so it is further down the road and probably needs other lifts to catch up.

What are your other lifts?

One approach is to drop the weight back down to say 70kg. Use that 2-3x, aiming for progression then increase by 2.5kg and keep going until you work back to 80kg
    The thing is I don’t overtrain chest anymore. When I use to it was stronger. My other lifts are:

OHP: 42.5kgs x 8
    Rows: 80kgs x 8
    Barbell curl: 30kgs x 8

This is pretty much what I was doing 7 months ago. Sad aye.

I used to train: chest+tris+shoulders, back+bis, legs

But now I’m doing a split that only hits one body part 1-2x a week.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No squat / dead?

Maybe you weren't "overtraining" chest - just using enough volume to make progress...?

Split is not that important - although 2x a week is probably better than 1. Total workload (number of work sets) per bodypart per week is a much more important number.

No squat / dead?

Maybe you weren't "overtraining" chest - just using enough volume to make progress...?

Split is not that important - although 2x a week is probably better than 1. Total workload (number of work sets) per bodypart per week is a much more important number.
    Yeah I don’t squat or deadlift. And please don’t say, “well that’s why your bench isn’t progressing, squat and deadlifts are crucia....” because I never did those exercises before and I had a stronger chest and bench.

Yeah I should add a few more sets to bench press and see where it goes. Like I used to train chest harder.

No, they don't affect your bench press - so if your goal is all about improving bench then most of what you do should be benching.

However, I would say that squat and dead have more of an impact on a lean and shredded torso that bench press does - if that's what your goal is...

No, they don't affect your bench press - so if your goal is all about improving bench then most of what you do should be benching.

However, I would say that squat and dead have more of an impact on a lean and shredded torso that bench press does - if that's what your goal is...
    Yes that is my goal. But I’ll just eating more and see where it goes.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    why 1-2x a week? and why the same reps every time?

Try a little more variation, in sets and rep ranges and in direct assistance work.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bench more to bench more.

3x week
    Use different variations each day
    Use different rep ranges each day
    And tihcken your upper back.

Glad you stopped that stupid make no gains and cut 4w bulk /2w cut cycle too!
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 09-19-2020 at 05:39 AM.
    FMH crew T-Rex.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SnipeItLikePro View Post
    Yeah I don’t squat or deadlift. And please don’t say, “well that’s why your bench isn’t progressing, squat and deadlifts are crucia....” because I never did those exercises before and I had a stronger chest and bench.
    Squats and deadlifts aren't crucial but not doing them plus your low overall numbers indicate poor programming.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Definitely important to make sure you have proper lower body strength/mobility. Core bracing certainly has carryover.

rhonda99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thats great. Keep digging

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Try dropping the reps for awhile on the set after warm up and ramp the weight and going higher in weight. Then hit a working set of your current 10R max and it will probably feel light. When you prime your CNS with ramping the working set will go up.

2 sets only, 3x per week.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough