Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kuma11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

The most important things in a diet for Abs?

Hey, I've never posted here before, so apologies if it's asked a lot, or in the wrong spot. Basically I keep reading diet is the most important part in the plan for Abs. I don't know how true it is, but I am certain diet IS important. So I was wondering, I cut a lot of calories recently, and have seen results weight loss wise, but is calorie intake the be all end all, or is it more ind epth then that? I've read stuff about how insulin control, antioxidants and vitamins all seem important?

Thanks in advance.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Kuma11 View Post
    Hey, I've never posted here before, so apologies if it's asked a lot, or in the wrong spot. Basically I keep reading diet is the most important part in the plan for Abs. I don't know how true it is, but I am certain diet IS important. So I was wondering, I cut a lot of calories recently, and have seen results weight loss wise, but is calorie intake the be all end all, or is it more ind epth then that? I've read stuff about how insulin control, antioxidants and vitamins all seem important?

Thanks in advance.
    Bodyfat % and genetic shape of your ab muscles is almost everything.

Training also enhances them, but even people who have never lifted a weight can have abs as long as they’re lean.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Bodyfat % and genetic shape of your ab muscles is almost everything.

Training also enhances them, but even people who have never lifted a weight can have abs as long as they’re lean.
    Thanks for the reply. So I guess the only two things I would like to know now are, is there a specific threshold of body fat percentage that they would begin to show, and the second would be, is there any way to even know if you have the right genes to begin with? It'd be pretty sad if I was destined to never have them.

latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bro calrorie defecit. Cardio and abb work..

There is no other answer to your question. There is no secret food or supplement for ir
    "it takes a wise man to know when he is in error and a noble man to admit to it"

Originally Posted by latverian41 View Post
    Bro calrorie defecit. Cardio and abb work..

There is no other answer to your question. There is no secret food or supplement for ir
    I mean, appreciate the response, but you're putting words in my mouth, Never asked for some BS secret nor supplements, I wouldn't take them if they existed. I asked about what some good foods for the Diet would be, and how I'd tell if my Genetics would allow them to be seen, relax.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the reply. So I guess the only two things I would like to know now are, is there a specific threshold of body fat percentage that they would begin to show, and the second would be, is there any way to even know if you have the right genes to begin with? It'd be pretty sad if I was destined to never have them.
    Well, do you tend to hold most of your fat around your abs? If so, it might take longer for you to see them.

A better idea is to just following a good diet and see what happens. No sense in trying to predict the future. Just do your best.... the process will be the same either way.

Well, do you tend to hold most of your fat around your abs? If so, it might take longer for you to see them.

A better idea is to just following a good diet and see what happens. No sense in trying to predict the future. Just do your best.... the process will be the same either way.
    Yea, that's definitely fair. From what I can tell in the last half year or so my abdominal area definitely got more fat, I've cut down in the last.. month or so, and lost a little over 10 pounds so far. I'm clueless when it comes to some things, and those fat percentage tests are one of them, but if I did the measurements right, I am just south of 11% body fat percentage. I've seen reports of anywhere from 6% minimum to 17% so that doesn't mean a whole lot lmao.

Thanks for the input, I'll put together the best diet I can, and hopefully hit the gym again soon when this whole pandemic """hopefully""" calms down soon.

Yea, that's definitely fair. From what I can tell in the last half year or so my abdominal area definitely got more fat, I've cut down in the last.. month or so, and lost a little over 10 pounds so far. I'm clueless when it comes to some things, and those fat percentage tests are one of them, but if I did the measurements right, I am just south of 11% body fat percentage. I've seen reports of anywhere from 6% minimum to 17% so that doesn't mean a whole lot lmao.

Thanks for the input, I'll put together the best diet I can, and hopefully hit the gym again soon when this whole pandemic """hopefully""" calms down soon.
    Bro if you were 11%, you'd have abs...

I mean if you look at my profile photo, i'm ~9%... maybe even 10...

That's kind of why I made the post, cause it doesn't add up, I must not be using a credible site.. or had the math off? I really don't know. I just measured my neck and waist and plugged that into a navy seal fat percentage calculator and get 10.8%.

Would you see abs even if you hadn't worked them much, at that low of a percent, or is it possible I just need tot rain more before they show? clearly something hasn't added up.

For what it's worth I haven't done much exercise outside quite a lot of cardio for the weight loss, and a little at home, so it's possible it's just not there yet for sure. I'm just starting out the training aspect and was curious.

latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) latverian41 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I mean, appreciate the response, but you're putting words in my mouth, Never asked for some BS secret nor supplements, I wouldn't take them if they existed. I asked about what some good foods for the Diet would be, and how I'd tell if my Genetics would allow them to be seen, relax.
    For now focus on your abb work. If you are over weight crunch your numbers. Stay in a defecit . you can do all the cardio and get skinny as you wamt but id yiu dont do the floor work for your abs they wont show

Do the abb work do the abb work do the abb word.. Then proper intake. And cardio and eventually they will show.
    "it takes a wise man to know when he is in error and a noble man to admit to it"

EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's kind of why I made the post, cause it doesn't add up, I must not be using a credible site.. or had the math off? I really don't know. I just measured my neck and waist and plugged that into a navy seal fat percentage calculator and get 10.8%.

Would you see abs even if you hadn't worked them much, at that low of a percent, or is it possible I just need tot rain more before they show? clearly something hasn't added up.

For what it's worth I haven't done much exercise outside quite a lot of cardio for the weight loss, and a little at home, so it's possible it's just not there yet for sure. I'm just starting out the training aspect and was curious.
    Even without any development beyond the baseline level, you should still see the outline of them probably around ~15%, but as Adam said, fat storage differs slightly from person to person.

It also depends on how you mean "having abs." In the right lighting, I have the faintest outline of them but am in no way going to claim to "have abs" as I am still a good 5% away from them even starting to become visible in normal circumstances, while some people are so lean that they'll be visible even when sitting down.
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 315
    Deadlift: 475

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

The problem with the navy formula is that it assumes a correlation of lean mass to neck circumference. That correlation falls apart if you have a lot of or very little muscle.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Even without any development beyond the baseline level, you should still see the outline of them probably around ~15%, but as Adam said, fat storage differs slightly from person to person.

It also depends on how you mean "having abs." In the right lighting, I have the faintest outline of them but am in no way going to claim to "have abs" as I am still a good 5% away from them even starting to become visible in normal circumstances, while some people are so lean that they'll be visible even when sitting down.
    My definition is basically just that they are visible, I'm not aiming for anything big, like bulging 6 pack and tree trunk arms, I basically just want visible abs. Also.. I'm almost sure I measured everything correctly, which is worrying to me... at most I'd have been maybe 1% or maaaybe 2% higher in percentage which still leaves me around 12 - 13.

Originally Posted by latverian41 View Post
    For now focus on your abb work. If you are over weight crunch your numbers. Stay in a defecit . you can do all the cardio and get skinny as you wamt but id yiu dont do the floor work for your abs they wont show

Do the abb work do the abb work do the abb word.. Then proper intake. And cardio and eventually they will show.
    Yea, for sure. I just need an actual workout plan to follow at home now that Gym's aren't really an option. I don't know how low fat % should be before it's unhealthy, Cause I'm pretty far from overweight, but also want to get as lean as possible.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    The problem with the navy formula is that it assumes a correlation of lean mass to neck circumference. That correlation falls apart if you have a lot of or very little muscle.
    oh, interesting. So is there another type I could use? When I searched I found the top 5 sites all had me using the Navy formula.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    oh, interesting. So is there another type I could use? When I searched I found the top 5 sites all had me using the Navy formula.
    You're better off going by the mirror.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    You're better off going by the mirror.
    Hey, sorry to be an idiot, I was just about to head out for the bike ride and saw the comment, I searched mirror along with body fat calculator and got the same sites, so I am probably missing something. I'll research it better when I'm back, lmao.

Hey, sorry to be an idiot, I was just about to head out for the bike ride and saw the comment, I searched mirror along with body fat calculator and got the same sites, so I am probably missing something. I'll research it better when I'm back, lmao.
    Dude, forget about what the BF% is... just get lean enough to see them.

Why obsess over a number?

If you were 15% and had a 6-pack, would you care if you werent 10%?

If you were 10% and had NO abs, would you feel any better because you knew you were 10%?

If SEEING abs is what you want, then just get lean enough until you see them... shooting for a number makes no sense.

Dude, forget about what the BF% is... just get lean enough to see them.

Why obsess over a number?

If you were 15% and had a 6-pack, would you care if you werent 10%?

If you were 10% and had NO abs, would you feel any better because you knew you were 10%?

If SEEING abs is what you want, then just get lean enough until you see them... shooting for a number makes no sense.
    I feel like you're misunderstanding me.. I'm not "obsessing" over the number, knowing where I am is crucial to not becoming too unhealthily lean, and just 2 comments ago you mentioned that "Bro if you're 11% you should see abs". And now that I take that info and think I should maybe recalculate you completely 180. If I was shooting for a number like you claim, I'd have heard 11% is fine, closed the topic and never looked back.

Also, I'm just starting the training part, I came here just trying to ask a few questions, and people seem really.. hostile to that, for some reaosn, I didn't ask for a fast track ez way to abs, nor am I obsessing over a number, I'm trying to get the abs to show WHILE staying at a healthy weight, thats it.

I feel like you're misunderstanding me.. I'm not "obsessing" over the number, knowing where I am is crucial to not becoming too unhealthily lean, and just 2 comments ago you mentioned that "Bro if you're 11% you should see abs". And now that I take that info and think I should maybe recalculate you completely 180. If I was shooting for a number like you claim, I'd have heard 11% is fine, closed the topic and never looked back.

Also, I'm just starting the training part, I came here just trying to ask a few questions, and people seem really.. hostile to that, for some reaosn, I didn't ask for a fast track ez way to abs, nor am I obsessing over a number, I'm trying to get the abs to show WHILE staying at a healthy weight, thats it.
    Then why are we still talking about numbers?

I quoted 11% because YOU provided that number... and yes, that would be a BF% where you’d see abs. I didn’t flip on anything.... there is a RANGE wherein you’d see them, usually anything less than 15-16% and you’re pretty much always going to... hell, some people still have definition as they approach 20%

It’s pretty damn easy to know and especially FEEL if you’re too lean...
    Last edited by AdamWW; 09-18-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Then why are we still talking about numbers?

I quoted 11% because YOU provided that number... and yes, that would be a BF% where you’d see abs. I didn’t flip on anything.... there is a RANGE wherein you’d see them, usually anything less than 15-16% and you’re pretty much always going to... hell, some people still have definition as they approach 20%

It’s pretty damn easy to know and especially FEEL if you’re too lean...
    Listen, I wasn't trying to antagonize, you've helped me out, and I appreciate it, but I don't get how you don't understand, if my measurements were right and I am 11%, and you are saying some people can see it at 20%, then I was just worried about how it works, that's it. Thanks for the help, I'm just going to try to figure out the best exercises at home and hope it works out I suppose.

Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

UFC physique. Whilst during Covid I'm more 'Sit at home and watch UFC' kind of physique. Looking good.
    I have a good joke about water retention. But I'm going to hold onto it for now.

Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Listen, I wasn't trying to antagonize, you've helped me out, and I appreciate it, but I don't get how you don't understand, if my measurements were right and I am 11%, and you are saying some people can see it at 20%, then I was just worried about how it works, that's it. Thanks for the help, I'm just going to try to figure out the best exercises at home and hope it works out I suppose.
    If you have a lot of muscle mass, you'll see it 20%. But if you're a beginner you can be at 1% and look terrible.
    I have a good joke about water retention. But I'm going to hold onto it for now.

Originally Posted by Paulie1986 View Post
    If you have a lot of muscle mass, you'll see it 20%. But if you're a beginner you can be at 1% and look terrible.
    Yea, that was basically what I got from all this, I read online that even at baseline you should see it at a certain point, but I'm just gonna work at it, and whatever happens happens.

Stop using those measurements and use the mirror. You can post a picture in your profile gallery if you want estimates from people here.

There's no "best exercise", you need to get leaner.

Stop using those measurements and use the mirror. You can post a picture in your profile gallery if you want estimates from people here.

There's no "best exercise", you need to get leaner.
    Cool, Appreciate all the responses guys. I might try a Picture, self conscious as I am it may help. We'll see.

I uploaded a picture, not sure how long those take to register on this forum though, considering it still claims I am 50, lmao. Have at me.

snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    measurements mean nothing. Measurements can’t tell your body fat. If you can’t see abs you’re not 11% or you have no muscle mass. Ab workouts won’t give you a six pack, losing body fat will. The best way to do that is eat less. You honestly don’t want to be sub 10% most likely. That’s really lean. If I measure everything right, those say I’m sub 10% bf as a female and I am not I’m more. Dexa scan for body fat or the number is not accurate or even close most likely. Go by what you look like in the mirror

edit the picture you up loaded your 20% plus body fat
    Insta is username snails.r.us

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    measurements mean nothing. Measurements can’t tell your body fat. If you can’t see abs you’re not 11% or you have no muscle mass. Ab workouts won’t give you a six pack, losing body fat will. The best way to do that is eat less. You honestly don’t want to be sub 10% most likely. That’s really lean. If I measure everything right, those say I’m sub 10% bf as a female and I am not I’m more. Dexa scan for body fat or the number is not accurate or even close most likely. Go by what you look like in the mirror

edit the picture you up loaded your 20% plus body fat
    Honestly that's pretty good news, plenty of room to grow then. Thanks for the input. So is a calorie defecit the best bet for losing the body fat? or is it more about WHAT you intake, like sugar being bad for example? I know certain foods store different amounts, just not much about the specifics honestly.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No, net calorie balance is everything when it comes to tissue gained or lost.

Nutrition determines if you are healthy or not. And if you gain/lose fat or muscle.

Read the sticky threads at the top of the page for more detail. This is a very frequently asked question.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    No, net calorie balance is everything when it comes to tissue gained or lost.

Nutrition determines if you are healthy or not. And if you gain/lose fat or muscle.

Read the sticky threads at the top of the page for more detail. This is a very frequently asked question.
    Will do. And I am sure it is asked a ton, so I'm glad people were patient with me. But I got all the answers I needed from it, so thank you all.