rollsoftly is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hello and Introduction

Here I am reluctantly introducing myself. After spending a little time looking around, I decided to do some searches for topics of interest and was taken aback by the negativity towards wheelchair users. As a wheelchair user it was a little off putting!! That being said, I am hoping that is not the norm.

My name is Ann-Marie and I am from Florida. After a decade long battle to diagnose a disability, I am having to relearn everything that I knew before now that I am in a chair. Due to long periods of inactivity and more steroids that I care to count, I have put on an excessive amount of weight. My diet is back in check and no more steroids so I am ready to get back in the gym. I've been in my chair full time for 2 years and I finally have the freedom and independence to get back to the gym. So far everyone at my gym has just stared at me weird and left me alone.

I am currently only using the circuit machines to get back into the rhythm of regular workouts and to help me determine where my strength levels are before delving into real weights. I really hate circuit machines but almost no one goes into that area in the gym so I have it mostly to myself! I only plan to do a few weeks of the circuit machines.

I hope to be able to learn from everyone here and I would love to know if there are any other wheelchair users on this forum.

VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome to the forum. It's good to read you have returned to the gym. The important thing is to endorse ourselves for showing up and putting in work.
    “Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.” – Joseph Pilates

A bodybuilder uses the weights to work the muscle.

Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi Ann-Marie,
    Firstly I think its brilliant that you have returned to something you love. You are obviously a strong person to get through what you have already so Im sure you will be able to ignore the narrow mindedness & ignorance of those who seek to make you feel uncomfortable or that you cant or even shouldnt be in the gym!
    My husband has a disability and he had the exact same problem ( he has Parkinsons) you cant imagine the stares and sneares from people in the gym when we train together it has been awful at times... but he has stuck at it and has a better physique than most of the wannabe lifters now! Probably because he actually cant use momentum to help himself out!
    What you need to remember is....this is for YOU and it will help you both mentally & physically so sod what people think...
    I have found everyone on here really helpful and Im sure you will get some sound advice when you need it.
    Good Luck to you

hely26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi, I'm Helen

AlisaFrost is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi everybody!
    My congratulations to Ann-Marie that you returned to something you like to do.
    My name is Alisa, I`m 26 and I training for 6 years. Actually, the gym is my hobby and a place where I come to relax.