Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Any issues with sticking to Hammer Strength Chest press for a while?

I run PPL and I decided to try out the HS for chit's and giggles. I felt my chest targeted very well from this exercise. Any issue in doing this in place of the bench press for a while if I'm a recreational lifter whose goals are purely hypertrophy? I like to start with the OHP on some push days and I'm usually too fatigued to bench properly even with lighter weights. My max bench is around 145 lbs and I could barely do sets of 115 lbs if I begin with OHP.

Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000) Thegainswarden is just really nice. (+1000)
    You just have to experiment on your own and see figure out what works best for you. I personally love the incline bench hammer strength as a finisher to my pressing movements. That’s after iv done incline Bb press, decline bb press, and DB flat.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you mean the seated one with plates where the handles come closer together as you push, IMO it's a great machine. As long as you understand you'll lose proficiency on regular BP and strength on that lift, you're fine. Depends on your overall goals.

You could always do HS on one push day, and the other push day start out with barbell BP so you're not that fatigued.

Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If you mean the seated one with plates where the handles come closer together as you push, IMO it's a great machine. As long as you understand you'll lose proficiency on regular BP and strength on that lift, you're fine. Depends on your overall goals.

You could always do HS on one push day, and the other push day start out with barbell BP so you're not that fatigued.
    Yeah it's the seated one. I'm new to that but I it feels better on my pecs compared to BB presses and DB Presses. Could I completely replace the bench press with this machine but keep the barbell OHP? I doubt I'll go through with this but hypothetically...

alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Chest press will obviously work your chest but it's suboptimal compared to bench press
    “The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." — Qui-Gon Jinn

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Odifududix View Post
    Yeah it's the seated one. I'm new to that but I it feels better on my pecs compared to BB presses and DB Presses. Could I completely replace the bench press with this machine but keep the barbell OHP? I doubt I'll go through with this but hypothetically...
    Sure, it's fine for muscle development - although you still may want a second variation in your rotation between DBs, weighted pushups, etc. even if you don't use barbell - or at least have an incline press too. As long as you don't care about what you "bench" then it doesn't matter.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by alec935 View Post
    Chest press will obviously work your chest but it's suboptimal compared to bench press
    Sub optimal? It is far better than a regular bench press for chest hypertrophy.

If you aren’t training for a sport that requires the BP, then you could drop it altogether if you find the hammer strength works better. I know I did, as have many others. No exercise is irreplaceable.

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post

If you aren’t training for a sport that requires the BP, then you could drop it altogether if you find the hammer strength works better. I know I did, as have many others. No exercise is irreplaceable.
    Are there any studies to this? AFAIK both machines and free weights have their pros and cons.

anonymous
    Doesn't really matter what lift you use, the volume/intensity/frequency and your performance of the reps matters far more

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are there any studies to this? AFAIK both machines and free weights have their pros and cons.
    Not really, there's a lot of barbell vs dumbbell.

chances are there's little signifcant difference between full RoM exercises that are similar mechanically.

I'd be extremely suspicious of anyone claiming either is far better

It would generally make sense to utilise both barbell and machine variations for someone training for hypertrophy
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think it's fine if your working for hypertrophy.
    Hammer strength machines are computer designed to get the most out of the body part it was made for.
    Sweeping inward handle are similar to using DB's except you get tension from bottom to top lockout which makes for a great contraction and full development.
    You can focus more on pushing and negatives without having to worry about balancing weight and racking them.
    Free weights though allows you to go in a groove or pathway that's best for you that you can easily adjust for the best position.
    Also having to balance weights work stabilizer muscles better(all the other small muscles that help you control the lift).
    Also you can adjust easier because of body size.
    Short,tall,fat,skinny can all find where the best groove is for them.
    So both have their advantages.
    Experienced bodybuilder try several ways to work an area then determine whats best for them.
    Good luck.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You haven’t used a plate loaded lever machine have you? It’s kind of like using dumbbells where you can bring them close together at the top, but with constant tension the whole way, not just at the bottom of the movement.

Of course, both have their pros and cons, but the pros and cons are usually overstated. And for some people, they find different variations of push exercises to be more effective then bench press. Same goes for squats vs leg press, cable rows vs barbell rows, etc.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    I think it's fine if your working for hypertrophy.
    Hammer strength machines are computer designed to get the most out of the body part it was made for.
    Sweeping inward handle are similar to using DB's except you get tension from bottom to top lockout which makes for a great contraction and full development.
    You can focus more on pushing and negatives without having to worry about balancing weight and racking them.
    Free weights though allows you to go in a groove or pathway that's best for you that you can easily adjust for the best position.
    Also having to balance weights work stabilizer muscles better(all the other small muscles that help you control the lift).
    Also you can adjust easier because of body size.
    Short,tall,fat,skinny can all find where the best groove is for them.
    So both have their advantages.
    Experienced bodybuilder try several ways to work an area then determine whats best for them.
    Good luck.
    Basically all of this (although the “stabilizer” argument is often overblown as well)

alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/201...culus.html?m=1

https://www.t-nation.com/training/in...ceps-exercises

Bench press is one of if not the best chest exercise according to EMG data
    “The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." — Qui-Gon Jinn

1) EMG, especially surface EMG measurements are bulls***

2) Bret Contreras not only doesn’t have a hammer strength machine in garage gym, but that little study of his has more than a few exercises that beat the s*** out of barbell bench for muscle activation

3) at no point does the incline press isolate anything, just as decline presses don’t isolate the sternal head of the pec major.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You will be OK, mass will come just fine. Especially if you use a few rep ranges.

but you will miss out on some performance elements due to the lack of a motor learning element ('skill') this can potentially slow down adaptations for growth
    *info is easy enough to find and read up on*
    And stall sooner.

Given you are doing a free weight Ohp.. I only really have 2 concerns.

First is movement pattern overuse and you developing some niggles from never changing the groove or working thru a different strength curve with variations and need to deload ect more frequently than may be ideal.

And

Its boring as fuuarrkk to just do one variation. But if you can keep your chin up through the monotony. Ignore this part.
    FMH crew T-Rex.

anonymous
    1) EMG, especially surface EMG measurements are bulls***

2) Bret Contreras not only doesn’t have a hammer strength machine in garage gym, but that little study of his has more than a few exercises that beat the s*** out of barbell bench for muscle activation

3) at no point does the incline press isolate anything, just as decline presses don’t isolate the sternal head of the pec major.
    Don't you believe this fruity looking mofo is an expert in hypertrophy?

It's a toss up between him and blaha who's advice I'd be less likely to listen to

My only issue with HS machines is the handles start too far back for me, I have to stick something under the rubber bumpers to get them a couple of inches forward for it to be safe for my shoulders

Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    My only issue with HS machines is the handles start too far back for me, I have to stick something under the rubber bumpers to get them a couple of inches forward for it to be safe for my shoulders
    OP, specific machines can be sometimes be hit or miss based on your body dimensions, but it sounds like the HS BP works well for you. If you run a good overall program, and are able to progress over time, it'll be fine for muscle building. You may find it beneficial to run a diff variation on your other push day, but not a big deal if you want to stick with that on both days for a while.

It's a toss up between him and blaha who's advice I'd be less likely to listen to

Having really long arms, I know the struggle, sometimes I ask my wife who is also my training partner to help with the lift off for that first rep, but only when I get to my working set.

anonymous
    Having really long arms, I know the struggle, sometimes I ask my wife who is also my training partner to help with the lift off for that first rep, but only when I get to my working set.
    my arms aren't especially long but I have a giant potatoe torso (my floor press is the same ROM as my real bench) so the machine isn't the bestest for me.

I actually bought 2 x 2" rubber stoppers online and duct tape them to the frame so the machines rubber stoppers hit them at the bottom. The incline use to destroy my shoulder but this modification mades it one of my favorite lifts

my arms aren't especially long but I have a giant potatoe torso (my floor press is the same ROM as my real bench) so the machine isn't the bestest for me.

I actually bought 2 x 2" rubber stoppers online and duct tape them to the frame so the machines rubber stoppers hit them at the bottom. The incline use to destroy my shoulder but this modification mades it one of my favorite lifts
    That’s genius!

I may need to try that at my gym.

anonymous
    That’s genius!

I may need to try that at my gym.
    I also put them in the leg press slides to limit the ROM to right before where my back rounds. I got bumpers off Amazon and cut it in half

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ELQ1LBA..._fhdyFbZ8QDBY8

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Credit where its due...

He "handles" girls booties all day, every day.. Looks at them, talks about them.

If that was good game plan.. 👏👏👏👏👏
    Success
    FMH crew T-Rex.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Credit where its due...

He "handles" girls booties all day, every day.. Looks at them, talks about them.

If that was good game plan.. 👏👏👏👏👏
    Success
    How else would he handle the embarrassment about the moniker “the glute guy”?

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's 100% better than doing nothing.

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

It's pretty overrated buddy

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jk202 View Post
    It's pretty overrated buddy
    That's not what Arnold said.

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    That's not what Arnold said.
    Yup. Keep thinking that what works for the best in the world is best for normies.

Bench press is good at working delts, chest and triceps. Pretty poopy way of building any 1 of them.

Anything can work, nothing is best for everyone

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jk202 View Post
    Yup. Keep thinking that what works for the best in the world is best for normies.

Bench press is good at working delts, chest and triceps. Pretty poopy way of building any 1 of them.

Anything can work, nothing is best for everyone
    Reverse grip bench though. Tits for dayz
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Reverse grip bench though. Tits for dayz
    That long moment arm tho

That long moment arm tho
    Great for shoulder health.