kevinfr1908 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Whey isolate during IF

Hi guys,

I was wondering if intermittent fasting still is beneficial if you train in the morning and then take a whey isolate 30gr, l-glutamine 5gr, dextrose 60gr and 5gr creatine post workout shake? I feel like if I don't take anything that my muscle will break down after training. I also heard something like if you do take a carbs around you training it won't really cause you to get out ketosis fast.

What are your guys opinions about this?

Sincerely,
    Kevin L

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The point is not to be technically fasted - but to put the food at times of day when you prefer to eat. So yes, you can have whey in the morning. That's exactly what I do BTW.

It's net calorie balance over time that will influence results, nothing else.

Same deal with ketosis. If you perform better in the gym with some carbs in you then do that - ketosis is not a requirement for efficient fat loss.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kevinfr1908 View Post
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if intermittent fasting still is beneficial if you train in the morning and then take a whey isolate 30gr, l-glutamine 5gr, dextrose 60gr and 5gr creatine post workout shake? I feel like if I don't take anything that my muscle will break down after training. I also heard something like if you do take a carbs around you training it won't really cause you to get out ketosis fast.

What are your guys opinions about this?

Sincerely,
    Kevin L
    It won't be IF but it'll work even better.

Ps. glutamine and dextrose are pointless supplements.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, there's no real magic behind IF. It simply helps some people EAT LESS. And that (eating less) is the key. IF does no magic to impact "calories in vs calories out".

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can anyone chime in on the affects (positive or negative) that IF can have on protein synthesis?

Personally I like to eat large meals, but don't mind waiting for them. My worry and hesitation for doing it that way, is that if I eat most of my nutrition in one meal, not all of the protein will be synthesized efficiently and I will be weaker in the gym, as well.

The multiple small meals mentality is less attractive to me but seems to make more sense.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Can anyone chime in on the affects (positive or negative) that IF can have on protein synthesis?
    Fasting from protein for 16 hours isn't optimal for 24h MPS.

Optimal is probably spreading the protein over the day in probably ~4-5 meals/snacks/shakes.

That being said, I think the classic meal pattern breakfast, lunch, dinner will do just fine for MPS.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Fasting from protein for 16 hours isn't optimal for 24h MPS.

Optimal is probably spreading the protein over the day in probably ~4-5 meals/snacks/shakes.

That being said, I think the classic meal pattern breakfast, lunch, dinner will do just fine for MPS.
    If you did happen to eat say a small supplemental meal with 50g of protein (say, a can of tuna) and then only one other big meal with say 150g protein and the remainder of your day's calories, is that going to be markedly different than spreading that out throughout the day, or just marginally?

If you did happen to eat say a small supplemental meal with 50g of protein (say, a can of tuna) and then only one other big meal with say 150g protein and the remainder of your day's calories, is that going to be markedly different than spreading that out throughout the day, or just marginally?
    If a large enough study was setup properly I'd expect it to show a significant difference in hypertrophy.

However, YOU may be able to get away with it.

It usually comes down to the same question: are you currently making satisfactory progress with what you're doing? Keep going. If not, I'd try to optimise it with at least 3 protein moments per day.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    If a large enough study was setup properly I'd expect it to show a significant difference in hypertrophy.

However, YOU may be able to get away with it.

It usually comes down to the same question: are you currently making satisfactory progress with what you're doing? Keep going. If not, I'd try to optimise it with at least 3 protein moments per day.
    Losing notable fat successfully on a deliberate cut at the moment. I am pleased with the amount of mass I already have but am concerned that if I don't do this right I will lose muscle.

SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Losing notable fat successfully on a deliberate cut at the moment. I am pleased with the amount of mass I already have but am concerned that if I don't do this right I will lose muscle.
    I used to IF and only eat protein in 1-2 meals, but I had my best progress in highschool when I was totally bro and ate 6-8 meals of protein only(like just egg whites, chicken breast, tuna). The 6-8 Meals was likely excessive as now I get 3-4 protein meals a day.

If you want to do IF, I suggest doing what I do which is Use IF on my Fat/Carb macros and "save" them for the evening, so I can enjoy a dinner out with the family, or have ice cream or my favorite treats before bed, but eat 3-4 servings of protein(even if its just a scoop of whey, 50z of chicken, 7-8 egg whites, etc) in order to stimulate MPS
    -Bears- -Blackhawks- -Bulls- -Whitesox-
    2015 NXT WBG Gold Medalist---- 2015 WWE WBG Bronze Medalist
    #1 in the World for Modern Warfare 3 in Demolition
    Former Halo 3 Pro Gamer
    #1 In class in High School
    NO Count Crew