Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

This is the #1 biggest bench press issue. srs thrd, come in if you want to bench more

Please respect srs tag.

Yes, multiply lifter. Yes lifetime natty.

I've been around some of the biggest benchers of all time. I have trained with (2) 900+ benchers (one of them benched 600 raw several times), (2) 800+ benchers and multiple others who have benched 700, 600, 500+ I have benched 500+ in competition multiple times at 220 and my best is 605. I am very good at spotting and correcting technique flaws in the bench.

The biggest flaw I see in even some of the best bench pressers, is a loose lower body. Legs moving everywhere, hips and ass flying up off the bench, no stability from the waist down.

Why does this happen?

I think the primary reason, and why bench is different from squat and dead, is you have to create your own tension. There is no weight on your lower body helping you, so you need to create as much tension as possible from your waist down through your hips and into your feet.

How do we fix it?

First thing to realize is your bench form is probably not great. Look at videos of your bench. Do your legs move? Do your hips pop up off the bench when you press? Too loose. How to fix it depends on the form you choose:

Feet Flat:
    This is how I bench and my preferred method to teach new lifters. Not great for lightweights that need more arch. You will also need some good flexibility in your back. One of my training partners is world ranked (very high up). I can't convince him to change because he is afraid it will affect his deadlift, so we do something different. Anyway, with any bench, set up on your traps and then push your hips into an arch as tight as you can, then move your feet out into position. It's best if your heels are in line with your knees or just slightly forward, then push your hips up and turn your heels out, drive heels into the ground. It also helps to push your knees out to the sides as hard as possible. This will create enough tension to keep your body tight and in a good position to bench. Your hips should always be up as high as possible, from the time you take the bar until it is back in the rack. Again, if your hips are up and down during the bench press, you're not tight enough.

Feet slightly back:
    This works better for less flexible lifters. Setup is the same, but once your hips are locked in, you will bring your feet back to the position you want. Hip and glute position is a bit different, you want to tilt your pelvis down toward the bench (balls to the bench) to keep from rising off the bench. Then drive your heels down when you take the bar. This takes some work and is the most likely to cause your butt to rise off the bench.

Big Arch, feet back:
    This is the easiest to maintain tightness, but is usually used by women and lighter lifters. If you're not a powerlifter, no need to do this. You will also need a lot of flexibility.

Hopefully this will help someone get a bench PR. But anyone who wants to post bench vids here, I'm glad to help out.
    Last edited by Drew23; 09-11-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    I'm not DrewDarden

Best Meet lifts: S:805 B:705 D:560 Total:2070 (220, equipped, drug free)
    Best Raw (gym lifts): S:540 B:380 D:515

Want to bench more? Click here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178958341
    ~ Molon Labe ~

Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stray800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I read that.

HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    holy wall of words.
    “The Misc. is a stone-faced Uncle Sam with Popeye’s forearms and a cocked pistol in each hand. It’s a screeching bald eagle with a foreign Bad Thing in its talons. It’s everything that defines America’s bro culture, magnified and weaponized. But it’s deeper than that.“

Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cliffs:
    Your bench sucks
    Get your lower body tighter
    I'm not DrewDarden

Want to bench more? Click here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178958341
    ~ Molon Labe ~

Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000) Hammersia is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think lifting weights is stupid
    Lifetime Natty

Veteran Warrior of the Iron Game

HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYDRAE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Drew23 View Post
    Cliffs:
    Your bench sucks
    Did you ever imagine you'd be 40 and on the internet telling other men their lower body should be tighter?
    “The Misc. is a stone-faced Uncle Sam with Popeye’s forearms and a cocked pistol in each hand. It’s a screeching bald eagle with a foreign Bad Thing in its talons. It’s everything that defines America’s bro culture, magnified and weaponized. But it’s deeper than that.“

..shall not be infringed ndiguy's Avatar
    ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ndiguy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cliffs:
    Your bench sucks
    What would you recommend in regards to grip width and back arch...

Not a powerlifter, but always down to try and improve my BB bench.

Thanks!

JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustMoved24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only issue is that (and I’m sure proudmanlet can relate) there is no way to contain the enormous bulge in my shorts when doing such exercises. I get many looks and besides wearing a cup idk what to do but it’s very obvious I’m packing horsecock
    New York

Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    whenever I emphasise my back arch on bench I get a spasm/pinch in my lat/scap area that makes me break form. Any ideas on what it might be? I would say if I kept it at 50 percent exertion im fine but anything over 75 percent is very noticable. I have no other issues with any other lift that I do.

False Football Prophet drvillain's Avatar
    drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) drvillain has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    sorry your quality thread is ruined by this generation on the misc. You should have added pitbull to the title or something

MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    just do what this guy does

DonAlemon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Please respect srs tag.

Yes, multiply lifter. Yes lifetime natty.

I've been around some of the biggest benchers of all time. I have trained with (2) 900+ benchers (one of them benched 600 raw several times), (2) 800+ benchers and multiple other who have benched 700, 600, 500+ I have benched 500+ in competition multiple times at 220 and my best is 605. I am very good at spotting and correcting technique flaws in the bench.

The biggest flaw I see in even some of the best bench pressers, is a loose lower body. Legs moving everywhere, hips and ass flying up off the bench, no stability from the waist down.

Why does this happen?

I think the primary reason, and why bench is different from squat and dead, is you have to create your own tension. There is no weight on your lower body helping you, so you need to create as much tension as possible from your waist down through your hips and into your feet.

How do we fix it?

Fist thing to realize is your bench form is probably not great. Look at videos of your bench. Do your legs move? Do your hips pop up off the bench when you press? Too loose. How to fix it depends on the form you choose:

Feet Flat:
    This is how I bench and my preferred method to teach new lifters. Not great for lightweights that need more arch. You will also need some good flexibility in your back. One of my training partners is world ranked (very high up). I can't convince him to change because he is afraid it will affect his deadlift, so we do something different. Anyway, with any bench, set up on your traps and then push your hips into an arch as tight as you can, then move your feet out into position. It's best if your heels are in line with your knees or just slightly forward, then push your hips up and turn your heels out, drive heels into the ground. It also helps to push your knees out to the sides as hard as possible. This will create enough tension to keep your body tight and in a good position to bench. Your hips should always be up as high as possible, from the time you take the bar until it is back in the rack. Again, if your hips are up and down during the bench press, you're not tight enough.

Feet slightly back:
    This works better for less flexible lifters. Setup is the same, but once your hips are locked in, you will bring your feet back to the position you want. Hip and glute position is a bit different, you want to tilt your pelvis down toward the bench (balls to the bench) to keep from rising off the bench. Then drive your heels down when you take the bar. This takes some work and is the most likely to cause your butt to rise off the bench.

Big Arch, feet back:
    This is the easiest to maintain tightness, but is usually used by women and lighter lifters. If you're not a powerlifter, no need to do this. You will also need a lot of flexibility.

Hopefully this will help someone get a bench PR. But anyone who wants to post bench vids here, I'm glad to help out.
    What you would reccomand for someone who has one side of the chest more forward than the other (me). When i bench i feel one shoulder is higher than the other , causing pain. of course i know dumbells are better but i dont have access to then. unfortunately for this reason my bench is just slightly heavier than my OHP.
    I tried benching with wider grips and closer grips. but i dont know what to do
    thanks

BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BrunotheBoxer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I agree. It’s called leg drive.

The lack of an arch is the number one reason that people develop shoulder problems from the flat barbell bench.

Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sevenlionz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Very good thread, saved and repped srs thanks OP

SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmillironS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Very good thread OP. I haven’t been able to regular bench in a few years due to shoulder issues so I was forced to do close grip only but I think I’m ready to give it a try again. Read every word and will put to use. Repped

Originally Posted by Hammersia View Post
    I think lifting weights is stupid
    That's apparent from your avi
    Originally Posted by HYDRAE View Post
    Did you ever imagine you'd be 40 and on the internet telling other men their lower body should be tighter?
    100% thick solid tight
    Originally Posted by ndiguy View Post
    What would you recommend in regards to grip width and back arch...

Not a powerlifter, but always down to try and improve my BB bench.

Thanks!
    Everyone should have some arch when they bench. Grip width depends on your arm length and what you're trying to hit specifically. For a non-powerlifter, I would recommend you start with pinkies on the rings and move out one finger at a time to see what feels best for you.
    Originally Posted by Steveyblack View Post
    whenever I emphasise my back arch on bench I get a spasm/pinch in my lat/scap area that makes me break form. Any ideas on what it might be? I would say if I kept it at 50 percent exertion im fine but anything over 75 percent is very noticable. I have no other issues with any other lift that I do.
    Can you pinpoint what it is? Is it your lat, trap, spinal erector? One side or both? Without knowing any more, I would recommend more rowing, face pulls, and pullovers to build up your upper back. Would also be curious to see a vid from above looking down to see if there is an imbalance.
    Originally Posted by drvillain View Post
    sorry your quality thread is ruined by this generation on the misc. You should have added pitbull to the title or something
    Such is life in misc. I'm not new.
    Originally Posted by MEDITATE View Post

[youtube]l84vmuuuHRg[youtube]
    Use fake weights?
    Originally Posted by DonAlemon View Post
    What you would reccomand for someone who has one side of the chest more forward than the other (me). When i bench i feel one shoulder is higher than the other , causing pain. of course i know dumbells are better but i dont have access to then. unfortunately for this reason my bench is just slightly heavier than my OHP.
    I tried benching with wider grips and closer grips. but i dont know what to do
    thanks
    It sounds like a shoulder impingement or bicep issue. I would get it looked at by a physical therapist to determine what is going on. This would be something I would physically have to work with to figure it out. I do have a training partner with a similar issue, but he had a bicep tear and we are working on correcting the physiological problem.
    I'm not DrewDarden

~ Molon Labe ~

JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUGGERNAUT1333 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I agree OP, I see happy feet all the time.

2nd or even maybe tied with first is the lack of lat engagement and tightness as well.
    6'1 - 240lbs

<HTC>

Originally Posted by Sevenlionz View Post
    Very good thread, saved and repped srs thanks OP
    Thanks brah
    Originally Posted by SmillironS View Post
    Very good thread OP. I haven’t been able to regular bench in a few years due to shoulder issues so I was forced to do close grip only but I think I’m ready to give it a try again. Read every word and will put to use. Repped
    Thanks. Make sure to get a lot of shoulder rehab/prehab work in before getting too heavy on regular bench again. YTWLs at a minimum should be 4-5 days/week including on your bench days.
    I'm not DrewDarden

~ Molon Labe ~

DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DDSF1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by drvillain View Post

This.

Thank you for a good post OP. I just benched this morning and I have hit a wall, so I will take into consideration what you have written for the future.

On recharge brah.

BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigDeeps01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes, multiply lifter.

Originally Posted by JUGGERNAUT1333 View Post
    I agree OP, I see happy feet all the time.

2nd or even maybe tied with first is the lack of lat engagement and tightness as well.
    Lat engagement is easier to teach in person, but yes, that is a creeping problem that happens to everyone. Just fixed that with my primary training partner who is an 805 bencher and was struggling with weights above 600.
    I'm not DrewDarden

~ Molon Labe ~

MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In to increase bench press crew
    🎄Mods changed my sig. ™Copyright ©2003 - 2005- 2017. All Rights Reserved. Uncle penis™ is a registered trademark of MinisterOfLust.

DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good thread OP.

I'm not a great bencher but I'll add:

-Squeeze your buttcheeks has hard as you can, flex your hamstrings and drive your feet down into the ground. I used to pull my feet back and arch hard like OP suggested, but now I keep my shins more vertical and drive down.

Originally Posted by DrewDarden View Post
    Good thread OP.

I'm not a great bencher but I'll add:

-Squeeze your buttcheeks has hard as you can, flex your hamstrings and drive your feet down into the ground. I used to pull my feet back and arch hard like OP suggested, but now I keep my shins more vertical and drive down.
    Yep, no matter what form you use, drive heels hard into the ground.
    I'm not DrewDarden

~ Molon Labe ~

ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScottTil has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I always figured you can lift more on decline bench than flat that why people lift hips up sometimes doing flat cuz youll end up essentially doing decline

Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Steveyblack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Can you pinpoint what it is? Is it your lat, trap, spinal erector? One side or both? Without knowing any more, I would recommend more rowing, face pulls, and pullovers to build up your upper back. Would also be curious to see a vid from above looking down to see if there is an imbalance.
    One side, my right side. The only way I can think of explaining is that when I tuck my scapula back it seems like right below where the right one sits is where the pain. Probably doesnt help you much, Ill try to remember to get a good video of it next time im benching. Thanks for the help!

Location: Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite., Antarctica
    conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) conics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    cliffs
    I don't check my CP, IDC about reps/negs

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ RIP Zyzz, The Father Of Aesthetics. 1989 -2011. Forever in our hearts ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mycorona is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MEDITATE View Post

Always a skinny asian brah throwing up huge weights on the bench.

Originally Posted by Steveyblack View Post
    One side, my right side. The only way I can think of explaining is that when I tuck my scapula back it seems like right below where the right one sits is where the pain. Probably doesnt help you much, Ill try to remember to get a good video of it next time im benching. Thanks for the help!
    Try not retracting your scapulae as much on the bench. Instead, try to set up more on top of your traps so your shoulders are pulled down and back, but not squeezed together. Then when you take the bar, pull horizontally toward your feet to engage your lats more. It sounds like what JUGGERNAUT1333 said above, not enough lat engagement.
    I'm not DrewDarden

~ Molon Labe ~

Try not retracting your scapulae as much on the bench. Instead, try to set up more on top of your traps so your shoulders are pulled down and back, but not squeezed together. Then when you take the bar, pull horizontally toward your feet to engage your lats more. It sounds like what JUGGERNAUT1333 said above, not enough lat engagement.

Ahh its starting to make sense. Squeezing more than just back and down. Going to change my que and focus on back/down rather then tucked/squeezed. Thanks, ill report back and lyk!