ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Adding weight lifting

Hello. I have a belly I am looking to get rid of, maybe someday getting back my 6 pack that I had as a teen, and looking to get healthy in general (I am a smoker and am on anti psychotics)

Currently, I do about 10 - 30 min a day moderate stationary bike cardio. I have had a hard time pushing myself to do 30 minutes.

I understand that the basics are to eat a calorie deficit among working out. I do not have access to myfitnesspal, because I don't have a smart phone or tablet right now. Even when I tried using my fitness pal it was difficult.

My plan is to try to push myself to do 30 min or more cardio a day, and to cut out junk food and buy only healthy meals at the grocery store. Currently I eat pasta, frozen pizza, low calorie cereal for breakfast, boxed fish, frozen vegetables, fruit, lots of canned soup, and every other day I get a soda or bag of chips at the corner store.

So that brings me to my question. Can someone give me a weight lifting routine for weight loss?

I am 30 years old, I can't remember my weight I think it's around 230 pounds. 5' 10".

I live almost literally in the parking lot of the YMCA and have a free membership there. I have a stationary bike in my apartment and some 15 pound dumbbells.

What prevents me from pushing myself and eating junk food? Boredom. I get bored on the bike and I get bored of playing my video games and doing nothing.

But the bottom line is I am doing a little bit which is better than nothing. But I think I can add weights.

Thanks, Aaron

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lifting weights will not result in weight loss, only a calorie deficit will do that and that is 100% controlled by what you eat. Lifting weights will help you retain muscle mass while in a calorie deficit so that your body prioritizes fat loss over just "weight loss".

From the last time you posted you said you had decided to do Starting Strength, I think you should go back and do that.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1579323471

Seems you had a lot of questions answered by various posters a year ago and you obviously didn't do any of it, so please don't waste our time reposting the same questions over again.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShanYin37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yes I had a lot of questions at the time. I didn't want to go back and read them because it got akward, but I appreciate very much that you have kept tabs on me and took to time to reply. I'm not trying to waste anyones time.

In the thread that you so kindly posted I just noticed someone said cardio could be used to create a calorie deficit. How does that fit into what you said about 100% controlled by food intake? Please give me credit for having courage in asking that question. I struggle with addiction, mental illness and low self esteem.

The purpose of the starting strength then will be to retain muscle mass? I am not interested in retaining muscle mass. I will do cardio and eat healthy. You answered my question, weight lifting does not result in fat loss.

I think part of the problem with asking the same questions is I find contradictions in information on the internet. For example I read an article that says that one should add weight lifting to help with fat loss, but I will take your word over what I read. I am also not interested in gaining muscle mass, right now.

Thanks! (yes I did go back and re-read the thread)

Maybe I should worry about muscle loss, I don't have much of it and I have alot of free time, may as well.

I just went way back to the original thread. Counting calories and macros is important from what I understand. I could invest in a tablet or smart phone in order to get the my fitness pal app and count everything. I doubt I will count macros, but maybe that would be a good challenge for me to take on.
    Last edited by ShanYin37; 09-03-2020 at 11:52 PM. Reason: incomplete

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You need to count calories and protein grams - and weight training as a minimum.

You don't need a smartphone, you can use sites like cronometer.com on any web browser.

I just got cronometer. Does it automatically set a calorie deficit? I am seeing that I need around 2700 calories and 171 grams of protein.

In my experience with macros, I have always found them to be high, whatever the goal. How am I supposed to eat 171 grams of protein a day?

I didn't set any goals on the website I am just wondering if I should follow it the way it is.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No, you can't rely on it setting your correct maintenance calorie level. They often over estimate the TDEE of overweight people (which is dumb) because they make poor assumptions like everyone having the same body composition.

Better to start with a fixed calorie level. Let's say 2200 calories if you want to lose weight. Run that for 2 weeks then make adjustments if you didn't lose 2lbs (1kg) in that time.

Remember to weigh in every morning and look for the trend in your weight (ignore day to day variance)

And same applies to protein, you'd actually be fine with 130g as a minimum.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You are 30 years old. Do you not work? Find something more productive to do than play video games to fight the boredom.

Thanks man. I just applied to get a job at my local hospital for a position serving food and coffee at a coffee shop in the hospital. I think I might get it. I don't work atm, I am struggling with employment. I have nothing to do that's productive so I'm hoping this job will go through. I live in a small town, lots of drugs around.

Really I am craving something productive to do. I was in and out of the psych ward and just viewed it as a waste of time. I havn't really been productive for about a decade of time since I had a job.

I have been trying to use cronometer but again I find it really difficult to use such programs. For example I had hamburger helper beef noodle and beef noodle is not even listed on it. Then when I tried to use a similar hamburger helper, I did not find a way to add a full package or serving size that I ate. I put in 200 grams but that seemed to be only the noodles and sauce not the beef. Because it said 21 grams protein, but a pound of beef has 26 grams protein. So I got upset. I just find this all difficult and I don't eat 3 meals a day and eat all kinds of food so it's hard to keep up with.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ShanYin37 View Post
    I have been trying to use cronometer but again I find it really difficult to use such programs. For example I had hamburger helper beef noodle and beef noodle is not even listed on it. Then when I tried to use a similar hamburger helper, I did not find a way to add a full package or serving size that I ate. I put in 200 grams but that seemed to be only the noodles and sauce not the beef. Because it said 21 grams protein, but a pound of beef has 26 grams protein. So I got upset. I just find this all difficult and I don't eat 3 meals a day and eat all kinds of food so it's hard to keep up with.
    A "pound of beef" has way more than "26g of protein".

Weight loss isn't easy. If it were then everyone would look like Calvin Klein models.

You are really going to have to put in the time and effort to not only learn how to calorie count correctly but have the discipline required to see it through.

The stickies at the top of this forum really do have most of the answers you have been asking for.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Maintaining muscle mass while losing weight is important and you should do it whether you want to or not. Neglect your muscles and when you lose weight you will just like a smaller version of your current self. This is how skinny-fat happens. So while cardio is more effective for weight loss (due to its greater contribution to calories out) I would argue that weight training is more important.

As for difficulty with counting calories, I would recommend looking into meal planning. On the fly tracking can get tiresome and makes it harder to hit your calorie and protein targets. Personally I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch on weekdays, which makes it easy for me to hit my calories and macros.

So 130 Grams protein and 2200 calories? I'm not sure of my weight atm.

Hamburger Helper seems like a meal I can eat alot and get the proper protein. I just googled it again and it said it's around 110 grams protein, My first google must have been wrong.

You can do this!!

RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So 130 Grams protein and 2200 calories? I'm not sure of my weight atm.

Hamburger Helper seems like a meal I can eat alot and get the proper protein. I just googled it again and it said it's around 110 grams protein, My first google must have been wrong.

You can do this!!
    0.7g per lb of your goal bodyweight is a good target for protein. If you want to weigh 180lb, then you should be eating about 126g protein daily, so yes, 130g should be about right for you.

You need two scales - one for yourself and one for your food. Keeping track of your weight is important so you can measure your progress. Weighing your food is important when cooking and dealing with while foods in order to count calories accurately.

The macros should be on the packet, no? MyFitnessPal says 17g protein for Hamburger Helper beef noodle, which sounds reasonable (as does your first figure). 110g is definitely wrong.
    Last edited by RapidFail; 09-07-2020 at 05:50 AM.

My view is that the 17 grams protein is everything included in the package. The 110 is the pound of beef. I don't think the nutrition facts includes the pound of beef. I don't think I'm missing anything here in my analysis if it is fact that there is around over 100 grams of protein in a pound. I ate the whole thing.

Well, I am 2 workout days in. It's fun! Just gotta start counting calories and counting protein. I think I will buy a protein shake.

ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10) ExpSaysItAll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bro.... you're 30 years-old. Go buy some weighing scale and weight yourself already.

How do you lose fat/build muscle if you don't know your own weight yet. Are you serious?

I weighed myself at the gym today. The YMCA has a scale. I weigh 227 pounds. I suppose I could buy a scale or just keep using the one at the Y, seeing as I'll be there 3 times or more a week. It's all good bro

My view is that the 17 grams protein is everything included in the package. The 110 is the pound of beef. I don't think the nutrition facts includes the pound of beef. I don't think I'm missing anything here in my analysis if it is fact that there is around over 100 grams of protein in a pound. I ate the whole thing.
    I didn't realise you added beef - that's probably correct then. A pound of beef is a lot to eat in one meal, though - it would probably be better to split your protein up more - try to get st least 30g with every meal (this isn't essential but will help with hunger and probably is better for building muscle).

pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You really don't need to do anything to lose weight, other than holding you calories to what you actually need. 30 minutes on a stationary bike isn't going to do a whole lot other than to burn a couple hundred calories.

Weight lifting is great if you want to put on some muscle, which most people think is more ascetic looking. But it may not lead to weight loss.

Originally Posted by pondman View Post
    Weight lifting is great if you want to put on some muscle, which most people think is more ascetic looking. But it may not lead to weight loss.
    And if you don't do it, you will lose muscle during dieting - which results in no shape improvement and reduced metabolism.

That's it bro dudes, with that, that gets to the end of all my questions for what is essential in my workout practice. Calories to lose weight, and protein and weight lifting to maintain muscle.

I will do cardio to cut calories and for health purposes, myself being a smoker.

Sebastian104 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Most gamers have broblems with their belly. It is because they sit a lot and their hip muscle gets tightened. Hip muscle is quite long muscle which is connected to your backbone. And it affects your belly as well.

Try to stretch your hip muscle

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Sebastian104 View Post
    Most gamers have broblems with their belly. It is because they sit a lot and their hip muscle gets tightened.
    It is because they are sedentary all day and tend to snack and/or drink high calorie beverages the whole time they are playing.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.