mileena202 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Does more lifting equal more calories burned/bigger muscles?

I do three hours of cardio per day, plus 5-6 hours of lifting per day, both free weights and cables. I take lots of breaks in between. I alternate legs and arms every other day. I am losing about 1.0-1.4 pounds a day so far and adding a lot of muscle. I was 445 lb. at my peak, and now am at 205 lb.

My schedule is (although I do mix it up too):

2 hours of cardio
    2-3 hours of lifting
    30 minutes of cardio
    2 hours of lifting
    30 minutes of cardio
    1 hour of lifting

Although I love working out, I need to free up some more time to do other necessary things. What do I cut out and still lose the same weight each day? 30 minutes of cardio? An hour weight lifting session?

Thanks!

SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlashandDash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
    I do three hours of cardio per day, plus 5-6 hours of lifting per day, both free weights and cables. I take lots of breaks in between. I alternate legs and arms every other day. I am losing about 1.0-1.4 pounds a day so far and adding a lot of muscle. I was 445 lb. at my peak, and now am at 205 lb.

My schedule is (although I do mix it up too):

2 hours of cardio
    2-3 hours of lifting
    30 minutes of cardio
    2 hours of lifting
    30 minutes of cardio
    1 hour of lifting

Although I love working out, I need to free up some more time to do other necessary things. What do I cut out and still lose the same weight each day? 30 minutes of cardio? An hour weight lifting session?

Thanks!
    That is ridiculous amount of training if true

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Weight/fat loss = calorie deficit created through your diet. Normal lifting and cardio program to compliment the rest.

Good luck.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Nutrition Coach/Trainer:
    http://www.iron-kim.com

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Weight/fat loss = calorie deficit created through your diet. Normal lifting and cardio program to compliment the rest.

Good luck.
    Thanks kimm4!

Originally Posted by SlashandDash View Post
    Yes, it is true. I do take breaks though, and eat some fruits, vegetables, or unsalted nuts. I guess you can say I am obsessed, for better or worse.

Originally Posted by SlashandDash View Post
    Yes, definitely true. I do take breaks though. I guess you can say I am obsessed, for better or worse.

Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Jesus... how can you even function! I understand the obsession ( dont we all) but your body is going to hate you in 5 years time!!!

You have to build in REST DAYS.... not just a break here and there and you will reep the benefits believe me! ( not to mention solve your problem of having no time) Ever heard of over training lol?

Your body must be swearing at you daily!!...your muscles need time to fully recover...not even hardened body builders like Arnie had such a grueling routine. This to me is totally unsustainable... BUT a resolution may be...

Drop the cardio increase your weight training intensity.. so do I dunno 2 days on 1 day OFF 2 days on 1 day OFF ( on your off days use them as active rest so go for a walk or something but dont do 12 hours of cardio its a rest day!

By increasing your intensity of weight training ( still should be no more than an hour in the gym per session tho) you should be able to burn the calories on your rest day and your body will use more to repair and build...you are not giving your body a chance to build properly and you could end up doing yourself some serious damage down the road..

Just out of curiosity whats your calorie intake a day?

magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You're definitely killing your gainz if you're putting hard work in the gym or you're not putting enough of hard work during the session that you still have power and again you're not gaining as much as you could.

Both cases you're not a winner and I would certaintly advise you to change this program.

You should have 45 minutes up to 2 hours or so with cardio included, high intensity with good form and good lifts.

At this moment I honestly don't think you'll be progressing as you could with correct input into your day.

And cardio also can kill your gainz if you're doing it too much, like bicycle and stepper is helping to reduce muscle in your legs, of course not if you do it in balance or you're not obese, but in your case with that amount of cardio you do, you're overtraining to beyond.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Chances are that the "lifting" is not heavy enough - or close enough to concentric failure. You are probably just doing junk volume.

A properly focused strength or bodybuilding routines should only take 45 mins - 1.5 hours on average and involve maybe 10-20 work sets with 1-3 minutes between them.

After that you should be done. If you could repeat again the same day, you weren't working hard enough - they weren't really "work sets".

And cardio is not strictly necessary for body composition goals, just manage your intake instead.

Hi everyone, I need to first apologize for taking so long to respond. Busy working out, lol!

Second, I guess I need to clarify my goals. I am at 204 right now, and need to get into the 160's, at least, so I am trim (I am a huge 5'11"). The fat needs to go. At that point, I can concentrate on building muscles and filling out the flabby skin. So I want to lose weight as fast as I can. I have been losing at a rate of a pound a day, and want to continue that. I will not tolerate a slow weight loss or I will have a mental breakdown, haha. My diet is healthy: lots of vegetables and fruits, with either eggs or chicken breast and a few unsalted nuts. Only water. No carbs or dairy.

So I guess I need to re-state my questions:

1. Will more weight training during the day lead to increased calories burned and a higher resting metabolism rate? Is there a max? If so, then I can cut out some cardio, as lifting burns more calories overall then cardio.

2. If the answer to the above is no, then more cardio instead of increased lifting would work then.

3. Does doing different machines and free weights/cables which do the same muscle group help? Like don't both the pec fly and horizontal bench press both train the pecs and anterior deltoids?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Don't try to lose more than 1% of your bodyweight per week otherwise your risk losing muscle - which will have a detrimental effect on both your metabolism and how you look.

Yes, muscle gives up mass more cheaply than actual body fat so your numbers on the scale will seem really great but it's counterproductive

For you this means a net daily deficit of not more than 1000 calories. How you arrive at this (by eating less or doing more) is not that important.

In answer to your questions

1) You are talking about the EPOC effect - this is very overstated, the choice of aerobic or anerobic cardio is not a very important one when all is said and done. And it's also irrelevant if you simply arrive at your calorie target by eating less in any case. Focus on using weight training as a means to prevent muscle loss, not burn calories.

2) see 1)

3) Don't try to make your own routine, there is no simple 1 line answer to your question, use a ready made routine like All Pros Simple Beginners Routine.