arcserv is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Will working delts help or hurt my physique?

Hi! 5'0", 110 lb, 24F here.

My upper arms have always been a problem area. The best way I can describe it is that my arm fat sticks out where my upper arm meets my back. I think it's because I have narrow shoulders but a relatively wide back. Basically, my lats push my triceps outwards.

I'm fully aware that excess fat is what's causing the problem. I know that if I cut down enough, there'd be no arm fat to stick out. However, I'm pretty happy with my composition. Even at my lowest weight (100 lb), my upper arms were slimmer but the bulge didn't disappear.

So my question is, would increasing the size of my delts improve the appearance of my upper arms? The first pic is what I look like right now. The second pic is photoshopped to what I want to look like. My ideal is a straight line from shoulder to elbow. Or would working delts just make my upper arms and shoulders bigger overall without changing the profile?
    Attached Images

Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by arcserv View Post
    Hi! 5'0", 110 lb, 24F here.

My upper arms have always been a problem area. The best way I can describe it is that my arm fat sticks out where my upper arm meets my back. I think it's because I have narrow shoulders but a relatively wide back. Basically, my lats push my triceps outwards.

I'm fully aware that excess fat is what's causing the problem. I know that if I cut down enough, there'd be no arm fat to stick out. However, I'm pretty happy with my composition. Even at my lowest weight (100 lb), my upper arms were slimmer but the bulge didn't disappear.

So my question is, would increasing the size of my delts improve the appearance of my upper arms? The first pic is what I look like right now. The second pic is photoshopped to what I want to look like. My ideal is a straight line from shoulder to elbow. Or would working delts just make my upper arms and shoulders bigger overall without changing the profile?
    Hiya, um your pics that you uploaded are identical so I cant actually see what your arms look like but I get the gist from your above post.

This is purely my opinion but I dont see how you can achieve one without the other....its like people who want a six pack....they can train their core like a demon and have amazing muscle but if you dont strip the excess fat you will never even see the muscle... The most you will do if you train your delts is look a little more sculpted...maybe....but chances are you wont see any results until the excess fat around the muscle goes ( building muscle will help with this though) but you will need to work all three heads plus your shoulders or you could end up getting another imbalance.
    Hope this helps
    Good Luck!

magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey,

If you're willing to make it little bit tighter around the arm part, I would advise you focus both on your shoulder delt and back meat of your tricep.

Both of them will give you more accenture for your arm, like drawing lines between muscle parts.

However, that still requires little bit of fat drop, as with abs, they are visible only at specific body fat based on your body genetics.

However doing work on back of your triceps and delts will definitely help you to speed the process.

Thanks for the input! The pics look different on my end - if you open both and toggle between them it might be more obvious?

I understand the analogy to visible abs. I guess I think the difference is that I don't want to see muscle definition per se. I more want to spot-increase muscle mass. I think the most similar problem is hip dips. Can I increase the size of a specific muscle to fill in my silhouette? I just don't know enough about the physiology of the muscle i.e. if delt gains will sit high up on my shoulders or just make the biggest part of my upper arms even bigger

I am willing to cut down a bit! I can see how even if I achieved the nice square shape I want by building muscle, the triangular shape of my arm fat would obscure it to some extent. That makes sense.

Really helpful to know that you guys think working delts will help not hurt. I've always been too afraid to start

Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bagpuss13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can work one specific muscle group...so you could....in theory...just work your rear delt BUT and heres the problem you could end up making a new set of issues you arent happy with.

Its all about balance so the delt has three heads the rear, the side and the front...if you work only one then that one becomes over developed and can make you look uneven so you should always work all three...see how the arm develops and then adjust as you go...

No one can say for sure that working your delts will help because it depends how you go about it. Think about it like sculpting clay you have to work the whole piece in order to get the result you want... you cant just spot reduce/ increase one piece ( well actually thats a lie, you can but over time its going to look weird and unbalanced!)

I always think there are two sides to weight training... the strength, stability and muscle growth and the asthetics side so you would be looking at doing high reps with a fairly low weight so say 15-20 reps for 3 sets would be a good place to start.

Trust me you cannot guess what your body is going to do when you start weight training. There are too many factors that will alter the results.

All you can do is start and sculpt as you go... but be patient and consistent.....there are no shortcuts and no quick fixes where muscle gain is concerned, once you get it you have to maintain it too so you may want to learn about how your muscles work, how to build, how to sculpt
    (but please do not use YouTube... you will fry your brain and confuse yourself) find a solid source...or join a gym and ask a pro????

In a nutshell I guess what Im saying is this:

You cant be half in and half out...you can " play at it" so to speak not really change any of your diet and lift a light weight cross everything including your eyelashes and pray for results ( you will see some but that will be the honeymoon period where your muscles go " ooh this is new" but that will be short lived) or you can go all in and TRAIN the whole muscle group but in the right way so you maintain balance to your body shape.

Oh and hip dips are solely to do with the shape of your pelvis so thats bone structure not muscle and therefore cannot be changed...you can minimise their appearance by building muscle and reducing fat but you wont get rid of them.

Hope this helps

magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnesium50 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Remember that for females you do not have testestorone like males do, meaning you won't get huge out proprotion hands, it takes slow and long time to shape up any part of your body, especially as a female. As Bagpuss said, you just workout and monitor your body, how body responds to workouts and the result, if you see lets say your shoulders start getting out of proportions, you slow down on them, and focus on different muscle groups, but do not cancel them, every muscle still needs work.

And again, losing weight will give you the shape nothing else, so if you wanna thinner arms with more accent on your meat of triceps, only working out and calorie deficit will help you as you will be increasing the muscle mass and decreasing fat cells, giving you aesthetic look.

Look at many natural female competitors and you'll see that "they are not big" but aesthetical.

Thanks so much guys! Super helpful. You're right that I was unreasonably scared of getting huge arms, and no one can say exactly how my body will respond. Although also reassuring that no one advised me to avoid delts/triceps. I'll start incorporating a balanced shoulders and arms regimen into my workout, then adjust as I go to fit my desired aesthetic