DaDude2020 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lunge and knee pain

So I'm new with lunges and tried with minimum weight and u always seems to develop a pain in my right knee. Mainly in the centre towards the top of my knee.

I don't have the means to film myself yet but reading some articles over the internet it claims it could be week glutes, improper form or tight hips.

Is there a way I could narrow down what the issue maybe and perhaps work on it to get the lunges correct?

Not sure if this is enough info but let me know if you require more.

Thanks in advance

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Maybe try a different variation to see if you can do it without pain. Give reverse lunges a try as they are much easier on the knees but will still give you many of the same benefits. Another option would be Bulgarian split squats.

BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As long as your front leg knee doesn't go past your toes, lunges don't usually cause knee pain.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by beowulf359 View Post
    Maybe try a different variation to see if you can do it without pain. Give reverse lunges a try as they are much easier on the knees but will still give you many of the same benefits. Another option would be Bulgarian split squats.
    Agreed, I prefer reverse lunges. If you have space, walking lunges may also be a more natural movement, but make sure your knee doesn't go out over your toes. You can also lunge in place without taking a step. You set your feet once, do your lunges then switch legs. I'm not sure it has quite the same benefit as the full movement, but it should increase stability, especially if you are doing them weighted.