DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

What are some good core exercises?

I do your standard sit ups/crunches, but I am wondering of other alternatives. I've watched some other videos of variation planks but I am looking for more exercises to do. I think part of what makes lifting enjoyable is the variety of lifts you can have, so I would like to expand on core to make it more enjoyable and do it more often.

Rows Could've Saved Jack Camarija's Avatar
    Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It really depends on your goals.

There are a ton of tools that can be used to achieve specific purposes, for example targeted hypertrophy or anti-rotational strength to name a couple.

When you say "core" do you mean Rectus Abdominis? Internal Obliques? External Obliqies? Lumbar Erector? Etc???

Sit Ups / Crunches is basically just abdominal flexion which can be good for Rectus Abdominis hypertrophy, but yeah, you'd be missing out on other functions of the 'core'.

Personally, for fun, I enjoy explosive landmine rotations, as demonstrated by Bret Contreras.

I couldn't tell you exactly how it functions as anti-rotational, hip-hinge, etc. But I can tell you what the results are:

1) Developed Internal Obliques and Lumbar Erector. Aesthetically the internal obliques help frame your rectus abdominis and make them pop more. And the lumbar erectors help form part of the Christmas Tree.

2) Grappling strength, specifically throwing people becomes much much easier. Years back my girlfriend was getting hit on by a dude at a Beach club who easily had 50 lbs on me and he wanted to fight me. EASILY was able to toss him over from the explosive landmine movement pattern and it felt pretty badass.

Other than explosive landmine rotations, I like weighted hanging leg raises to work my rectus abdominis, especially the lower part. I've got a buddy who is into Powerlifting, Strongman, AND Men's Physique competitions and he swears by Ab Wheel Rollouts. Anecdotally I've heard of an EMG study demonstrating superior UPPER rectus andominis activation from weighted Swiss Ball Crunches.

They're all just tools in the box to accomplish specific goals. Whatever you do, I hope you have fun lifting!

Cheers mate
    ► Calgary Barbell 8 Week ► Training Age: 9 Months ► Goal: Big 3 + Bulk
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179108161
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hollow body. The actual hollow body laying on your back. And a hollow body position tension when you do any body weight training.
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

Not Casca Berserk. Casca The Eternal Warrior

No period....eternal

☆☆☆Perfectly Imperfect �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆What is the point of doing a bunch of reps if every rep you do is CRAP? �яєω☆☆☆

DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    It really depends on your goals.

There are a ton of tools that can be used to achieve specific purposes, for example targeted hypertrophy or anti-rotational strength to name a couple.

When you say "core" do you mean Rectus Abdominis? Internal Obliques? External Obliqies? Lumbar Erector? Etc???

Sit Ups / Crunches is basically just abdominal flexion which can be good for Rectus Abdominis hypertrophy, but yeah, you'd be missing out on other functions of the 'core'.

Personally, for fun, I enjoy explosive landmine rotations, as demonstrated by Bret Contreras.

I couldn't tell you exactly how it functions as anti-rotational, hip-hinge, etc. But I can tell you what the results are:

1) Developed Internal Obliques and Lumbar Erector. Aesthetically the internal obliques help frame your rectus abdominis and make them pop more. And the lumbar erectors help form part of the Christmas Tree.

2) Grappling strength, specifically throwing people becomes much much easier. Years back my girlfriend was getting hit on by a dude at a Beach club who easily had 50 lbs on me and he wanted to fight me. EASILY was able to toss him over from the explosive landmine movement pattern and it felt pretty badass.

Other than explosive landmine rotations, I like weighted hanging leg raises to work my rectus abdominis, especially the lower part. I've got a buddy who is into Powerlifting, Strongman, AND Men's Physique competitions and he swears by Ab Wheel Rollouts. Anecdotally I've heard of an EMG study demonstrating superior UPPER rectus andominis activation from weighted Swiss Ball Crunches.

They're all just tools in the box to accomplish specific goals. Whatever you do, I hope you have fun lifting!

Cheers mate

I suppose my goal is just getting stronger overall abs. Nothing specific, just looking to expand my exercises. I will say I am interested in the lower abs though, because crunches/situps are more towards the upper part. I youtubed some interesting videos.

Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    Hollow body. The actual hollow body laying on your back. And a hollow body position tension when you do any body weight training.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dragonflags are great to work on. Russian twists are good. One-armed farmer walks (also two-armed). Those are some ideas.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Dragonflags are great to work on. Russian twists are good. One-armed farmer walks (also two-armed). Those are some ideas.
    I was trying some dragonflags earlier today, lifting the legs up. It was great. Thanks.

EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Also, I wouldn't leave out squats and deadlifts in only doing ab-specific exercises.
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 315
    Deadlift: 475

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    one minute plank > 20-30 situps, repeat for three sets with no rest. i do this daily to improve my upper ab strength & aesthetic, won't do you much for lower abs however. progressively overload by adding more time to each plank segment, and more situps naturally
    adversity is a necessity, if you were always content there would never be desire to grow

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have two types of routines I do for full body and have 2 exercises devoted to each muscle each session. For my abdominal portion of the workout - in routine A i'll superset ab rollouts/side twists, and in routine B i'll superset mountain climbers/windshield wipers. I get a beautiful burn using either one of those combinations.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261