Reply
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User DynamicDot's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 1,007
    Rep Power: 2713
    DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    DynamicDot is offline

    What are some good core exercises?

    I do your standard sit ups/crunches, but I am wondering of other alternatives. I've watched some other videos of variation planks but I am looking for more exercises to do. I think part of what makes lifting enjoyable is the variety of lifts you can have, so I would like to expand on core to make it more enjoyable and do it more often.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Rows Could've Saved Jack Camarija's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2012
    Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    Posts: 433
    Rep Power: 10357
    Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Camarija is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Camarija is offline
    It really depends on your goals.

    There are a ton of tools that can be used to achieve specific purposes, for example targeted hypertrophy or anti-rotational strength to name a couple.

    When you say "core" do you mean Rectus Abdominis? Internal Obliques? External Obliqies? Lumbar Erector? Etc???

    Sit Ups / Crunches is basically just abdominal flexion which can be good for Rectus Abdominis hypertrophy, but yeah, you'd be missing out on other functions of the 'core'.

    Personally, for fun, I enjoy explosive landmine rotations, as demonstrated by Bret Contreras.



    I couldn't tell you exactly how it functions as anti-rotational, hip-hinge, etc. But I can tell you what the results are:

    1) Developed Internal Obliques and Lumbar Erector. Aesthetically the internal obliques help frame your rectus abdominis and make them pop more. And the lumbar erectors help form part of the Christmas Tree.

    2) Grappling strength, specifically throwing people becomes much much easier. Years back my girlfriend was getting hit on by a dude at a Beach club who easily had 50 lbs on me and he wanted to fight me. EASILY was able to toss him over from the explosive landmine movement pattern and it felt pretty badass.

    Other than explosive landmine rotations, I like weighted hanging leg raises to work my rectus abdominis, especially the lower part. I've got a buddy who is into Powerlifting, Strongman, AND Men's Physique competitions and he swears by Ab Wheel Rollouts. Anecdotally I've heard of an EMG study demonstrating superior UPPER rectus andominis activation from weighted Swiss Ball Crunches.

    They're all just tools in the box to accomplish specific goals. Whatever you do, I hope you have fun lifting!

    Cheers mate
    ► Calgary Barbell 8 Week ► Training Age: 9 Months ► Goal: Big 3 + Bulk
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179108161
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User Casca's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 8,570
    Rep Power: 22911
    Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Casca is offline
    Hollow body. The actual hollow body laying on your back. And a hollow body position tension when you do any body weight training.
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆


    Not Casca Berserk. Casca The Eternal Warrior

    No period....eternal

    ☆☆☆Perfectly Imperfect �яєω☆☆☆

    ☆☆☆What is the point of doing a bunch of reps if every rep you do is CRAP? �яєω☆☆☆
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User DynamicDot's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 1,007
    Rep Power: 2713
    DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    DynamicDot is offline
    Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    It really depends on your goals.

    There are a ton of tools that can be used to achieve specific purposes, for example targeted hypertrophy or anti-rotational strength to name a couple.

    When you say "core" do you mean Rectus Abdominis? Internal Obliques? External Obliqies? Lumbar Erector? Etc???

    Sit Ups / Crunches is basically just abdominal flexion which can be good for Rectus Abdominis hypertrophy, but yeah, you'd be missing out on other functions of the 'core'.

    Personally, for fun, I enjoy explosive landmine rotations, as demonstrated by Bret Contreras.



    I couldn't tell you exactly how it functions as anti-rotational, hip-hinge, etc. But I can tell you what the results are:

    1) Developed Internal Obliques and Lumbar Erector. Aesthetically the internal obliques help frame your rectus abdominis and make them pop more. And the lumbar erectors help form part of the Christmas Tree.

    2) Grappling strength, specifically throwing people becomes much much easier. Years back my girlfriend was getting hit on by a dude at a Beach club who easily had 50 lbs on me and he wanted to fight me. EASILY was able to toss him over from the explosive landmine movement pattern and it felt pretty badass.

    Other than explosive landmine rotations, I like weighted hanging leg raises to work my rectus abdominis, especially the lower part. I've got a buddy who is into Powerlifting, Strongman, AND Men's Physique competitions and he swears by Ab Wheel Rollouts. Anecdotally I've heard of an EMG study demonstrating superior UPPER rectus andominis activation from weighted Swiss Ball Crunches.

    They're all just tools in the box to accomplish specific goals. Whatever you do, I hope you have fun lifting!

    Cheers mate

    I suppose my goal is just getting stronger overall abs. Nothing specific, just looking to expand my exercises. I will say I am interested in the lower abs though, because crunches/situps are more towards the upper part. I youtubed some interesting videos.

    Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    Hollow body. The actual hollow body laying on your back. And a hollow body position tension when you do any body weight training.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User Heisman2's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 12,850
    Rep Power: 65150
    Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heisman2 is offline
    Dragonflags are great to work on. Russian twists are good. One-armed farmer walks (also two-armed). Those are some ideas.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User DynamicDot's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 1,007
    Rep Power: 2713
    DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DynamicDot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    DynamicDot is offline
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Dragonflags are great to work on. Russian twists are good. One-armed farmer walks (also two-armed). Those are some ideas.
    I was trying some dragonflags earlier today, lifting the legs up. It was great. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User EliKoehn's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 382
    Rep Power: 3377
    EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    EliKoehn is offline
    Also, I wouldn't leave out squats and deadlifts in only doing ab-specific exercises.
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 315
    Deadlift: 475

    "... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User sayjayvee's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    sayjayvee is offline
    one minute plank > 20-30 situps, repeat for three sets with no rest. i do this daily to improve my upper ab strength & aesthetic, won't do you much for lower abs however. progressively overload by adding more time to each plank segment, and more situps naturally
    adversity is a necessity, if you were always content there would never be desire to grow
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User TheShadowMan's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 2,437
    Rep Power: 18349
    TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    TheShadowMan is offline
    I have two types of routines I do for full body and have 2 exercises devoted to each muscle each session. For my abdominal portion of the workout - in routine A i'll superset ab rollouts/side twists, and in routine B i'll superset mountain climbers/windshield wipers. I get a beautiful burn using either one of those combinations.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

    Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts