Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)

Prime Fitness Functional Trainer Review

After ordering my Prime Fitness functional trainer back at the end of May it finally arrived and I have to say I couldn't be more impressed. I also ordered the Prime Fitness bench with all the accessories and the centering attachment to the FT. The bench is a little narrow for my taste but other than that it is a fantastic piece and blows away my Rep benches in terms of build quality. I think I'll probably purchase the Rogue Monster flat bench with Thompson fat pad at some point but I am not in a rush by any means.

When the delivery was scheduled to arrive I wasn't exactly sure how I would even get it in place. The website said that it weighed 630 lbs but I knew that had to be wrong considering you have two 265 lb weight stacks. I checked after I got it setup and they have updated the website to 994 lbs which makes more sense. Here's how it arrived:

I was lucky to get a delivery driver who was willing to do more than the bare minimum and he helped me get it in my spare garage bay. It cleared by about one inch so it was a tight fit for sure.

A better look at the packing which was absolutely fantastic. I have never had anything from a workout equipment company be packaged so well. Even the accessories were completely surrounded by foam packing (not peanuts but solid pieces) keeping everything in perfect condition.

Cont...
    Last edited by ncsuLuke; 08-27-2020 at 12:22 PM.

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Here is how the bench arrived, box surrounded by wood and the frame was bolted to the wood (have a drill handy). Also the accessories, last piece is the centering mechanism.

Back to the FT. This is my how am I possibly going to move this picture. I tried just lifting one of the outside legs and it didn't budge a millimeter so the weight stacks were definitely coming off. Taking the stacks off was pretty simple, take off the panel containing the top pulleys, unscrew one rail and take the snap ring off the other and you can pull the rails out. Putting the stack back on was just as easy, put the rails in place and slide the plates on. This part helps to have another set of hands for the first couple.

Next I took the left side off using an allen key and removing a few bolts. I don't have pictures of this because I was too busy struggling to move the piece across my garage. I am not really sure how I did it on my own because with the second piece I finally called in for reinforcements. I could have probably moved it on my own if I took the crossmembers off but why bother when I could have someone to help. We put it on a couple moving dollies and got it in place without too much trouble. Once the frame was put back together it was pretty easy to move on my mats to get it in place. Put the stacks back on and we are done. I didn't open the package that was attached to the arms until it was done and those were rubber feet to go on the bottom. Needless to say I don't have rubber feet on the bottom of my FT because I wasn't going to all that trouble after already having it in place and it's on rubber mats anyway.

As for the unit itself, I am happy to answer any questions, I honestly don't have much to say except it is one of the smoothest machines I have ever used, the arms allow for lots of adjustability (and move incredibly smoothly), and the bench absolutely locks in place when using the centering mechanism. I am glad I got the bench because it really works great with the FT but you could definitely get by with any bench, you just wouldn't have the centering mechanism but that's probably not really necessary. There's really nothing you can't do with this FT that you could do with any other one, at least nothing I can imagine.

I also got KAZ handles and RO-T8 handles. The KAZ handles are deceptively huge but feel really good in your hands. The RO-T8 handles are nice but I think I still need to get used to them as they are a lot different than any handles I've used. I think I am going to get either the long or short bar (or both) to attach the RO-T8 handles to for different exercises as I can really see that being beneficial.

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That looks like a really nice machine. It also looks like it could possibly fit into my basement if I fully dissembled it. Is the 94" listed height with the arms at max height?

Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    That looks like a really nice machine. It also looks like it could possibly fit into my basement if I fully dissembled it. Is the 94" listed height with the arms at max height?
    Correct, it's about 74" with the arms down.

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great review. The prime stuff looks great.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great review, the Prime unit was on my hit list, but here in the UK the Bravo comes in at about 40% less, besides there were lots of used Bravo's on the market and I managed to pick up a 1 year old Bravo in mint condition, but I still think the Prime unit has some advantages over the Bravo, the additional arm width and the bench docking.

When the arms are extended to their full and minimum width, what are the measurements?.

GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice review and congrats on the new pieces! They look awesome. Very impressed with Prime

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice review. Yeah it’s basically the same weight stacks that Prime/strive has been using for years.... very modular and easy to disassemble. I was curious about this FT, hope it works out well for you.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the review and pics. Everything looks great. Those adder weights a la Cybex VR1 have me wondering if Prime would sell me a couple.

Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    Great review, the Prime unit was on my hit list, but here in the UK the Bravo comes in at about 40% less, besides there were lots of used Bravo's on the market and I managed to pick up a 1 year old Bravo in mint condition, but I still think the Prime unit has some advantages over the Bravo, the additional arm width and the bench docking.

When the arms are extended to their full and minimum width, what are the measurements?.
    At their widest they are 107.75" and at their closest they are 20". From top to bottom they have a range of 92.25".

piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) piratelifebad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Very cool! Thanks for the review. Prime makes some good sh*t

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Badass. Thanks for sharing. After you've used it for a bit, let us know what your updated thoughts are. I'd love to have one of these.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    Badass. Thanks for sharing. After you've used it for a bit, let us know what your updated thoughts are. I'd love to have one of these.
    Will do. I still haven't used it a ton since I've only had it a week now but every time I use it I like it more and more. I really don't know what else I could possibly want in a FT. I've been really surprised by the bench too, I really thought it was going to be too narrow and I wasn't going to like it but used it for heavy bench day this weekend and it worked great. The bench and the FT centering device is awesome, super easy to lock in place and it's perfectly centered without any effort. Makes me want to get one of their racks for that alone.

potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unit looks great, Luke. Only issue I see is how much room those adjustable arms take up to get them into the position I want. It’s pretty affordable for a commercial unit at 5k shipped, and is a 2:1 ratio.

I just got the Cybex and may sell it for this, but I will see if there’s any takers for the Cybex first.

After using this for a month I can honestly say that I am more pleased with the unit than I imagined in the first place. Everything about it is top notch and the centering device with the bench is an absolute must IMO if you are going to spend the money on one of these. Being able to lock the bench in place at different distances from the FT (and always in the center) is huge in adding to the variety of exercises you can do. I now do chest supported lat pulldowns and my dedicated lat pulldown/low row is basically collecting dust to the point where I am thinking about selling it. Back when I went to a commercial gym, one of my favorite cable machines was a seated chest press and I can perfectly replicate this and the centering device makes it much easier. I tried at first without it and the bench would scoot back some during the exercise but when it's locked in that isn't any concern.

Those are just a few examples of things I have found that work well, I am discovering new things all the time and of course all the traditional FT exercises work great. As for the attachments, the RO-T8 handles are a great addition and I really like how they feel, especially in pulling movements. The KAZ handles are nice but an overall meh to me. Since I already had a couple triceps ropes and other attachments it made their versatility not that big of a deal to me. The decline attachment for the bench has been nice for doing situps but I really am only using it because I bought it, otherwise it is what it is. The arm pad attachments for doing curls are interesting, I don't think I have found the best way to use them yet because some angles feel really awkward with the FT. I am sure they would be simple to use with db curls but I haven't tried those yet.

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Absolutely fantastic looking piece - congrats!
    ▪[[────]]▪ York Barbell Club #65 ▪[[────]]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #65 []---[]
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #3 ▪[M]===[6]▪
    ─</>─<\>─ BWTG Cluster #65 ─</>─<\>─
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #65 ||---|| ▪█────█▪ Equipment Crew #74 ▪█────█▪

Sig line is not a novel.

Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adsinaction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Questions

Hey man you free for some question on the Prime FT?

Originally Posted by Adsinaction View Post
    Hey man you free for some question on the Prime FT?
    Post whatever questions you have

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Post whatever questions you have
    What do you use to lubricate the guide rods? I have the Prime Prodigy HLP Selectorized Rack and the manual says to use tri-flow or similar and not to use grease. I want to try white lithium grease but I'm a little reluctant even though it should be fine on paper.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    What do you use to lubricate the guide rods? I have the Prime Prodigy HLP Selectorized Rack and the manual says to use tri-flow or similar and not to use grease. I want to try white lithium grease but I'm a little reluctant even though it should be fine on paper.
    I haven't seen any need to lubricate them honestly. It's just as smooth as the day I got it.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well, you could use Tri-Flow. I use silicone with PTFE for the guide rods on everything (Prime says no, presumably because silicone attracts more dirt than Tri-Flow, but I've been using it for years).

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    Well, you could use Tri-Flow. I use silicone with PTFE for the guide rods on everything (Prime says no, presumably because silicone attracts more dirt than Tri-Flow, but I've been using it for years).
    I should have noted that I use tri-flow. It's a lot like 3-in-1. Seems fine and I don't have any complaints about the smoothness, but I also can't tell much of a difference after applcation and I'm curious if grease would make a difference. I'm all about upgrades...

GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can’t speak to it yet, but I have the FT coming along with some other Prime stuff. Very excited.

Originally Posted by GamecockLifter View Post
    Can’t speak to it yet, but I have the FT coming along with some other Prime stuff. Very excited.
    If you're going to have the bench I highly recommend the bench centering device. Really adds a lot to the functionality of the machine.

I should have noted that I use tri-flow. It's a lot like 3-in-1. Seems fine and I don't have any complaints about the smoothness, but I also can't tell much of a difference after applcation and I'm curious if grease would make a difference. I'm all about upgrades...
    I wouldn't. On linear bearings it's a must, but on guide rods you're not going to see any noticeable improvement over Tri-Flow or silicone. And the cost of using grease is that it picks up a ton of dirt, dust, etc. That all gets stuck in the plates and is a PITA to clean out, since you have to remove the stack to do it. Eventually that will happen no matter lubricant you choose, but with grease it'll happen faster in my experience.

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    I wouldn't. On linear bearings it's a must, but on guide rods you're not going to see any noticeable improvement over Tri-Flow or silicone. And the cost of using grease is that it picks up a ton of dirt, dust, etc. That all gets stuck in the plates and is a PITA to clean out, since you have to remove the stack to do it. Eventually that will happen no matter lubricant you choose, but with grease it'll happen faster in my experience.
    Good to know. I'll stick with tri-flow!

Registered User Th3ApexPredator's Avatar
    Th3ApexPredator is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lightbulb

If you used a Hanging Scale on the cable end where a handle normally goes while having the Whole Stack Selected (including all Micro-Weights) how much would it register on the Readout?

I understand if this test is a bit involved, but I would certainly love to know and would greatly appreciate the intel.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Th3ApexPredator View Post
    If you used a Hanging Scale on the cable end where a handle normally goes while having the Whole Stack Selected (including all Micro-Weights) how much would it register on the Readout?

I understand if this test is a bit involved, but I would certainly love to know and would greatly appreciate the intel.

Thanks
    It would register nothing or whatever the scales weighs unless you pulled the entire stack with the scale attached, which is a waste of time because resistance is already known with functional trainers based on the ratio. This one has a 2:1 ratio so the maximum resistance is 132.5 lbs per stack.

Registered User Th3ApexPredator's Avatar
    Th3ApexPredator is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It would register nothing or whatever the scales weighs unless you pulled the entire stack with the scale attached, which is a waste of time because resistance is already known with functional trainers based on the ratio. This one has a 2:1 ratio so the maximum resistance is 132.5 lbs per stack.
    You have this machine too? Is there any machine (with horizontal and vertically adjustable arms) that gives more resistance than it does - more than the 132.5lbs?

Well yea... Pulling on the stack is what I meant, but I wouldn't say that it's a complete waste of time. It is good to verify stuff now and then to make sure of things...

I asked because I wasn't sure if the weight stack was actually 530lbs which is very high, but idk since I don't have the machine and never seen it in-person nor used it.

Originally Posted by Th3ApexPredator View Post
    You have this machine too? Is there any machine (with horizontal and vertically adjustable arms) that gives more resistance than it does - more than the 132.5lbs?

Well yea... Pulling on the stack is what I meant, but I wouldn't say that it's a complete waste of time. It is good to verify stuff now and then to make sure of things...

I asked because I wasn't sure if the weight stack was actually 530lbs which is very high, but idk since I don't have the machine and never seen it in-person nor used it.
    There might be one out there with heavier stacks than Prime but likely not more than 300 lbs (150 lbs @ 2:1). Keep in mind that functional trainers are generally intended for accessory movements. You can add weight using a gym pin or similar, but ideally you'll have a have a separate rack and barbell for heavy compounds plus a high pull/low row @ 1:1 ratio with seat and foot plate for pull down and rows. Functional trainers aren't meant to be all-in-one lifting stations.

I have a Prime Prodigy HLP rack with 350 lb stacks that is intended to be an all-in-one solution but it's still far from perfect. It gets a lot right but I'd love adjustable arms and 1:1 ratio for rows. Such a thing doesn't exist and the cost would be massive, assuming it could be engineered.

As far as testing the actual resistance of the stacks goes, it's a waste of time unless you're trying to diagnose a problem like one stack feeling heavier than the other. It doesn't matter if both stacks are off a couple or even a few pounds from the stated weight, as long as they are even. There's no competitive functional trainer movement where you'd need calibrated stacks. I guess if you have a commercial facility with redundant machines, you'd care if you got complaints, but that would be diagnosing a defective machine.