Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User Th3ApexPredator's Avatar
    Th3ApexPredator is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    There might be one out there with heavier stacks than Prime but likely not more than 300 lbs (150 lbs @ 2:1). Keep in mind that functional trainers are generally intended for accessory movements. You can add weight using a gym pin or similar, but ideally you'll have a have a separate rack and barbell for heavy compounds plus a high pull/low row @ 1:1 ratio with seat and foot plate for pull down and rows. Functional trainers aren't meant to be all-in-one lifting stations.

I have a Prime Prodigy HLP rack with 350 lb stacks that is intended to be an all-in-one solution but it's still far from perfect. It gets a lot right but I'd love adjustable arms and 1:1 ratio for rows. Such a thing doesn't exist and the cost would be massive, assuming it could be engineered.

As far as testing the actual resistance of the stacks goes, it's a waste of time unless you're trying to diagnose a problem like one stack feeling heavier than the other. It doesn't matter if both stacks are off a couple or even a few pounds from the stated weight, as long as they are even. There's no competitive functional trainer movement where you'd need calibrated stacks. I guess if you have a commercial facility with redundant machines, you'd care if you got complaints, but that would be diagnosing a defective machine.
    I have seen the Tuff Stuff PPMS-245 which can come in a 1:4 and 1:2 ratios that give it 75lbs and 150lbs respectively of Effective Resistance at the Handle, but I haven't seen any others. I was hoping that maybe the older FreeMotion machines were made with higher Effective Resistances, but I'm not sure they had that as an option. I'm keeping my eyes open though and doing research on the matter.

I mainly follow Doug Brignole who is big into Isolation movements and I haven't looked back. I follow his Brig20 Exercises which I think are superior than traditional Compound movements and such. The term "Accessory Movements" to describe Isolation movements - to me anyways - seems to denote a misunderstanding of the exercise and puts it into a category of "Lower Priority/Quality Exercises" which I think is False. Some Isolation Movements are really inefficient and can also have a higher chance for injury - which I think does make them inferior, but some are actually really great and rank a "10 out of 10" as far as how well it targets the Intended Muscle with the least amount of dilution and how safe it is.

I can go on though, but yea... I see the Brig20 as the Future of Exercises and going to maybe one day be the new "goto" for most people and barbells a thing of the past. I know a lot of people really like those kind of exercises and I once used to do the "big compound exercises" too, but I've since learned that they aren't all that they are cracked up to be and my interest in Machines and Equipment all centers around making it possible for me to do those Brig20 movements now, hence my interest in the Prime Functional Trainer.

I mainly want to test the stack so that I know that it is really 132.5lbs and not 265lbs or something else. In all likelihood I'm feeling like it probably is 132.5lbs of Effective Resistance, but I just don't know for sure and want hard data to go off of. The labels on the weights in pictures show 250 as the max weight on the lowest weight brick/plate, but then I wonder why it doesn't read 125lbs instead. You seem to be confident that it is 132.5lbs though - I'm guessing from actually having used it before or ?
    Last edited by Th3ApexPredator; 02-13-2022 at 09:29 PM.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Th3ApexPredator View Post
    I mainly want to test the stack so that I know that it is really 132.5lbs and not 265lbs or something else. In all likelihood I'm feeling like it probably is 132.5lbs of Effective Resistance, but I just don't know for sure and want hard data to go off of. The labels on the weights in pictures show 250 as the max weight on the lowest weight brick/plate, but then I wonder why it doesn't read 125lbs instead. You seem to be confident that it is 132.5lbs though - I'm guessing from actually having used it before or ?
    I haven't used it but the site says the stacks are 265 lbs @ 2:1 ratio.

https://primefitnessusa.com/functional-trainer/

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    I haven't used it but the site says the stacks are 265 lbs @ 2:1 ratio.
    Yea, I've been periodically going to the site for quite a while now and check out the specs whenever I do. I'm pretty sure it's 132.5lbs ER, but yea... Hopefully the OP will confirm it, but Thanks for the help though.

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't have a scale like that so I'm not going to get one to test that out, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be 132.5 lbs considering we know its 2:1 and a 265 lb stack.

Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000) Afo3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    I don't have a scale like that so I'm not going to get one to test that out, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be 132.5 lbs considering we know its 2:1 and a 265 lb stack.
    Well that was a weird workout getting this setup. This scale is a bit junky so I would take it with +/- accuracy but here were my results

250lbs stack shows 118lbs on scale
    230lbs stack shows 107.6lbs
    190lbs stack shows 95lbs

I would bet that the variance at the higher weights is likely more the scale or the way I setup the test (just quickly anchored to a few DBs wrapped with a strap so there may have been some give). 190:95 is exactly 2:1...

All that said, if you don't think the stack weight is sufficient, a few ideas:

1. You can probably band/ weight the micro plate loading bars. We used these wrestling the unit into place. I'm sure Prime would not say this is a good idea but they seem very sturdy.
    2. You might be able to get Prime to do a heavy stack but I'd be worried about clearance if you add more than two more bricks

Overall I think you are going to spend energy wrestling the setup into place at these higher weights than from the actual reps. This is a problem that the Tonal device solves beautifully with the 'clickable' handles that can turn the weight on and off. Its only a 100lbs max weight but it is a very heavy feeling 100lbs so you might want to check it out.
    Attached Images

Hold on... You are not going to get the scale because you don't have one? No offence, but I couldn't help, but laugh at the logic you used there. XD

It would have been nice if you could just explain your reasoning beyond "it's at a 1:2 Ratio and it's a 265lbs stack" because I already know that much. I'm just looking for something a lil' bit more because I want to get as close to an undeniable truth as possible and not really have to rely on anything anecdotal if I don't have to, but I'm a bit stuck not having access to the machine so I have to acknowledge my limitations.

I've even reached out the the manufacturer too, but they haven't responded back yet. Hopefully they will confirm it unless someone can beat them to the punch...

Originally Posted by Afo3 View Post
    Well that was a weird workout getting this setup. This scale is a bit junky so I would take it with +/- accuracy but here were my results

250lbs stack shows 118lbs on scale
    230lbs stack shows 107.6lbs
    190lbs stack shows 95lbs

I would bet that the variance at the higher weights is likely more the scale or the way I setup the test (just quickly anchored to a few DBs wrapped with a strap so there may have been some give). 190:95 is exactly 2:1...

All that said, if you don't think the stack weight is sufficient, a few ideas:

1. You can probably band/ weight the micro plate loading bars. We used these wrestling the unit into place. I'm sure Prime would not say this is a good idea but they seem very sturdy.
    2. You might be able to get Prime to do a heavy stack but I'd be worried about clearance if you add more than two more bricks

Overall I think you are going to spend energy wrestling the setup into place at these higher weights than from the actual reps. This is a problem that the Tonal device solves beautifully with the 'clickable' handles that can turn the weight on and off. Its only a 100lbs max weight but it is a very heavy feeling 100lbs so you might want to check it out.
    Speak of the devil!

First off... Thanks for going through the trouble of getting this all set up. I appreciate it.

Yea, I think the variance on higher weights is probably higher. One way you can double check that would be to use the Hanging/Crane Scale on other heavy objects/weights to check and see if the scale itself is at fault or if the weights are. Perhaps use a Step-On weight scale too, to compare, contrast and see what's up.

I'm used to doing a Scapular Retraction exercise with my Paramount FT 150 which is also 1:2 ratio, but the max weight on the stack only goes up to 130lbs. The labels on the lowest plates say 65lbs though because I guess Paramount didn't want to confuse their customers and decided to go with the Useable Weight at the Handle and not the weight of the Stack if it were put on a step-on scale. Point is though... The full weight stack became easy for me after a certain point and I found myself using 45's on both sides to add an extra 22.5lbs. Eventually though, that too started to feel light so now I am craving something that'll future-proof me for a while or what have you.

If I wanted to add more weight to it I think I would probably add some plates to the Micro-Weight holder on the stack like you said. Bands would be awesome to use, but because they give a bad Resistance Curve and I avoid their use. Anytime new weight is added to a stack though it puts it off balance and it can make the weights rub up against the guide rods.

I asked Prime if they could upgrade the stack further on the Functional Trainer, but they said No :'( Some machines, they do offer more though, like the Multi-Hip can be upgraded to 265lbs from 165lbs. I wonder if that is enough for Glutes though. I always err on the side of more.

Where ever I plan on putting the machine I will probably need to disassemble it to some degree to make it easier to manage. Tonal seems interesting. I watched a video on youtube about it. The 100lbs weight stack does worry me though, but maybe it's calibrated to be more than that or can be hacked somehow.

Thanks again for the informative post!
    Last edited by Th3ApexPredator; 02-14-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lol, this thread. The prime functional trainer is 2:1. You can tell by the pulley on top of the stack and the single cable going through each one. Pulley systems can't do fractions, these are not sprockets/gears where you can play with ratios. It's either 1:1, 2:1, 4:1... If there's any discrepancy at the "output" it's from friction, inertia (sticking)... So, a well lubricated system will give you 125lbs max for a 250lbs stack.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    lol, this thread. The prime functional trainer is 2:1. You can tell by the pulley on top of the stack and the single cable going through each one. Pulley systems can't do fractions, these are not sprockets/gears where you can play with ratios. It's either 1:1, 2:1, 4:1... If there's any discrepancy at the "output" it's from friction, inertia (sticking)... So, a well lubricated system will give you 125lbs max for a 250lbs stack.
    The Freemotion ext FT is 3:1, 210lbs stack with max weight of 70lbs each stack
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #36 ||---||
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #36 [M]===[6]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #36 ──<//>─<\\>──

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mrcheeze36 View Post
    The Freemotion ext FT is 3:1, 210lbs stack with max weight of 70lbs each stack
    I get that, I'm saying it's not going to be some weird reduction ratio like 120lbs felt for a 150lbs stack...
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000) mrcheeze36 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    I get that, I'm saying it's not going to be some weird reduction ratio like 120lbs felt for a 150lbs stack...
    Oh gotcha, my mistake
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #36 ||---||
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #36 [M]===[6]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #36 ──<//>─<\\>──

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well I just put in an order for the Prime single stack and plate loaded leg extension/curl combo so one day I'll have a new review on some Prime gear. Unfortunately the leg extension/curl has a 34 week lead time so it might be a while. Good thing my wallet will be able to recover by then.

alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well I just put in an order for the Prime single stack and plate loaded leg extension/curl combo so one day I'll have a new review on some Prime gear. Unfortunately the leg extension/curl has a 34 week lead time so it might be a while. Good thing my wallet will be able to recover by then.
    Great adds congrats. But that 34 weeks is insane, do they charge you the complete payment up front or you only have to send a deposit?
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #54 []---[]

My own home gym evolution thread with pics of my gym

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174506581&p=1514272741&posted=1#post1514272741

Originally Posted by alexthaman View Post
    Great adds congrats. But that 34 weeks is insane, do they charge you the complete payment up front or you only have to send a deposit?
    Previously it was 50% down at order and then the rest when it was close to ready

1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well, I’m all-in for a detailed review on the combo leg extension/curl…even 34 weeks from now. Been eyeing that piece.

Looking forward to the pics!
    []---[] Equipment Crew #73 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #78 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #20 ||---||

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 1651Naismith View Post
    Well, I’m all-in for a detailed review on the combo leg extension/curl…even 34 weeks from now. Been eyeing that piece.

Looking forward to the pics!
    For what it's worth I have the old Strive version. A few minor differences but exact same design. I got mine from the founder of Strive's son who had a few pieces he was getting rid of. He said maybe a handful total were made and only offered for a brief period (no real premium market back then and most gyms want separate units - apartment complex gyms just want a cheap token piece in their gym). Love it and great design. Super smooth. Does both motions as well as any single piece I've found. Only critique is that I would prefer a rolling shin/calf pad - which is one of the changes Prime made. Very heavy piece and beefy. Unexpected but makes sense from design. Feel free to PM with questions. I'm not on that much but a lot faster than Prime's 34 week lead time!
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991