SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Deadlift Platform with limited space...

My gym is inside my house, however I'd like to build a simple deadlift area in my garage. My Garage floor starts off flat and then starts sloping, and I don't want to spend too much time messing with it. I have two questions:

1. Will 8'x3' be adequate? Most of the deadlifting platforms I see are all 8'x4', but I have about 3.5' before the floor begins to slope so I'm hoping 8'3" would work.
    2. Are there any issues with stacking stall mats on top of each other? From the ones I've had in the past one side is usually smooth which the other side is kind of spiky...

Depending on the answer to question #1, I was thinking about getting the 4' X 3' X 1/2" smaller stall mats and stacking them...this way I don't have to cut anything for a 8'x3'x1" platform. My cuts last time left a lot to be desired...

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you have some way to ensure the barbell does not roll off the platform then 3' should be plenty, unless you're the type that likes to roll the bar way out in front and then to your shins to start the lift. At least in the 17 years I have been deadlifting I have never lost balance such that the bar ended up landing far away from where it started. Usually the bar should start over your mid foot or close to it and it shouldn't land much away from that same spot. Now if the 3' is right by a wall that can be a bit trickier as you'll take up more space when bending over.

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. Yes. 2x8 is also doable.

2. No. You may want to build a frame or use tape something to keep the layers in place.

My platform is 4x8. I have a layer of those cheap foam puzzle tiles on the bottom, a layer of cabinet grade 3/4" plywood, and a 3/4" 4x4 plywood top with 2x4 stall mat on each side.

SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks guys, i went and grabbed some of the 3'x4'x0.5" stall mats tonight. Unfortunately, one of the stall mats was quite a bit thinner than the remaining 3 so I have to drive back and exchange it...just something to watch for if you buy some. I didn't notice this problem with the larger 3/4" ones I used to have previously.

Also the 1/2" ones are smooth on both sides as opposed to one side with the spikes which will make stacking them easy.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    If you have some way to ensure the barbell does not roll off the platform then 3' should be plenty, unless you're the type that likes to roll the bar way out in front and then to your shins to start the lift. At least in the 17 years I have been deadlifting I have never lost balance such that the bar ended up landing far away from where it started. Usually the bar should start over your mid foot or close to it and it shouldn't land much away from that same spot. Now if the 3' is right by a wall that can be a bit trickier as you'll take up more space when bending over.
    Theres plenty of space, however the surface just slopes so i only had about 3.5' where its totally flat. I should have plenty of room to push my butt back so i'll be good to go I think.

Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    1. Yes. 2x8 is also doable.

2. No. You may want to build a frame or use tape something to keep the layers in place.

My platform is 4x8. I have a layer of those cheap foam puzzle tiles on the bottom, a layer of cabinet grade 3/4" plywood, and a 3/4" 4x4 plywood top with 2x4 stall mat on each side.
    I'd build a frame but I'm beyond useless with my hands...nor do I own any tools to do so besides a screwdriver and scissors.

I'll see how the noise goes. I'm in a townhouse with my garage underneath my apartment. I initially was going to buy deadlift silencers and looked at all kinds of stuff, but I'm hoping i'll be ok. In addition to the stall mats I'm using an American Barbell Oly bar (which is super quiet), black rep bumper plates that have a 86 rating (supposedly pretty quiet), and most importantly I never drop the bar when deadlifting..i'd call it more of a controlled descent. We'll see what happens, but I'm hoping I can get by on this stuff without any issues.