VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Sudden forearm weakness mid-workout, any thoughts?

A couple weeks ago I did a strength block for barbell bench press, going for 5 sets of 3 at 13% higher weight than my normal 3 sets of 8.

The prior week was my first week of such a "strength block" and I completed this weight for 4 sets of 3 and last set of 2. So wasn't some crazy new weight or a max attempt. I was just hoping to complete all 5 sets with the 3 reps.

First set something felt off on left forearm, barely made the 3 reps. Next set barely did 2, and then threw in towel on next set with only 1 rep.

My left forearm was weakening and could not support the weight. No pain, but felt achy / tingly. Again, I did this weight the workout before for 4 sets of 3 and last set of 2. And this weight was only 13% higher than what I was doing for 3x8 with no problems.

I dropped the weight 15lbs, did a set of 5 and then 4. Still didn't feel right.

I did some heavy incline DB presses, which I completed, but forearm still felt off.

Arm felt fully normal within 30-45 minutes post workout.

Next day I completed all my pull-ups on target, but forearm felt off/slightly weak/tingly upon completion

This week, I went back to my 3x8 barbell bench press, which was fine and surpassed prior working weight. DB incline presses felt a little something in the forearm. But then I couldn't do my 60lbs weighted dips (which I had done before) due to weakness in left forearm. Dropped it to 25lbs and felt reasonable, but still not great.

Anyone have a similar experience? I have no idea what this is.

I know my description of the symptoms is terrible, but not sure what else to say.

There is no pain, just this achy feeling in the left forearm that hurts my strength. I can't isolate it to a specific spot, it's more a general sensation across the forearm. More in the meaty part of the forearm near the elbow as opposed to near the wrist. No pain to touch. The feeling is non-existent within 30 minutes post workout. Pulling exercises have a more mild effect than pressing. Doesn't impede ability to squeeze the bar, just the ability for heavy weight to press down (bench press) or away (weighted dips) from me.

Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VTLifts View Post
    A couple weeks ago I did a strength block for barbell bench press, going for 5 sets of 3 at 13% higher weight than my normal 3 sets of 8.

The prior week was my first week of such a "strength block" and I completed this weight for 4 sets of 3 and last set of 2. So wasn't some crazy new weight or a max attempt. I was just hoping to complete all 5 sets with the 3 reps.

First set something felt off on left forearm, barely made the 3 reps. Next set barely did 2, and then threw in towel on next set with only 1 rep.

My left forearm was weakening and could not support the weight. No pain, but felt achy / tingly. Again, I did this weight the workout before for 4 sets of 3 and last set of 2. And this weight was only 13% higher than what I was doing for 3x8 with no problems.

I dropped the weight 15lbs, did a set of 5 and then 4. Still didn't feel right.

I did some heavy incline DB presses, which I completed, but forearm still felt off.

Arm felt fully normal within 30-45 minutes post workout.

Next day I completed all my pull-ups on target, but forearm felt off/slightly weak/tingly upon completion

This week, I went back to my 3x8 barbell bench press, which was fine and surpassed prior working weight. DB incline presses felt a little something in the forearm. But then I couldn't do my 60lbs weighted dips (which I had done before) due to weakness in left forearm. Dropped it to 25lbs and felt reasonable, but still not great.

Anyone have a similar experience? I have no idea what this is.

I know my description of the symptoms is terrible, but not sure what else to say.

There is no pain, just this achy feeling in the left forearm that hurts my strength. I can't isolate it to a specific spot, it's more a general sensation across the forearm. More in the meaty part of the forearm near the elbow as opposed to near the wrist. No pain to touch. The feeling is non-existent within 30 minutes post workout. Pulling exercises have a more mild effect than pressing. Doesn't impede ability to squeeze the bar, just the ability for heavy weight to press down (bench press) or away (weighted dips) from me.
    I think it's pinched nerve cause of your tight muscles, try massages your flexors / extensors / triceps and then stretch it.

VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VTLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Szyszak View Post
    I think it's pinched nerve cause of your tight muscles, try massages your flexors / extensors / triceps and then stretch it.
    Was just googling this and I think you might be on to something. Thanks. Going to dig further and work on some treatments like you mention and see how it goes.

Registered User letsfixthatform's Avatar
    letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsfixthatform is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Please be careful with the youtube and instagram therapy methods (no shade intended). I have seen people overstretch muscles and lacrosse ball smash their way into surgeries after watching internet "experts." Definitely focus on your recovery methods but pay close attention to the injury. If it is not healing then seek out a professional.
    ISSA CPT
    ISSA BB spclst
    Worlds okayest lifting coach

Originally Posted by letsfixthatform View Post
    Please be careful with the youtube and instagram therapy methods (no shade intended). I have seen people overstretch muscles and lacrosse ball smash their way into surgeries after watching internet "experts." Definitely focus on your recovery methods but pay close attention to the injury. If it is not healing then seek out a professional.
    100% agree. I'm skeptical of a lot, esp along the stretching / mobility crowd. But I do think pinched nerve is exactly what I'm dealing with, so will look for proper treatments for that.