DaRusty is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cutting: Losing Muscle, Fat Staying the Same

I started a cut Mid June. My Macros percentage breakdowns: 40c/35p/25f. I started at 2600 calories June 18th and dropped down to 2100 the first four weeks, and have held through august.

Body Scans:

June 18th DXA:
    Total Body Fat: 21.4%
    Total Mass: 195.5lbs
    Fat Tissue: 41.8lbs
    Lean Tissue: 147.1lbs
    Visceral Fat: 4.31 in3
    RMR: 1786

Aug 21st DXA:
    Total Body Fat: 21.8%
    Total Mass: 193.7lbs (3 days later i am 190.1 -- inflammation?)
    Fat Tissue: 42.3lbs
    Lean Tissue: 144.9lbs
    Visceral Fat1: 18.31 in3
    RMR: 1766

So in 2 months I have seen a slight increase in Fat, and a big drop in muscle. I also weigh 190.1 today which is 3.6lbs less than my scan, and i dropped that weight in 3 days. I think i was retaining water and possibly inflamed on Friday.

My Diet looks like roughly like this:

Breakfast:
    Oats, egg whites and 2 eggs:
    72g Carbs, 16g fat, 37g protein

PostWorkout:
    White Rice + Chicken
    72g Carbs, 4g Fat, 42g Protein

2.5 hours after post workout meal:
    Sweet Potato, COD
    50g Carbs, Fat 1g, Protein 49g

Dinner 1:
    Steak, Brown Rice, Brussles
    Carbs 42g, Fat 16g, Protein 41g

Dinner 2 is a hodge podge of what i have remaining to eat to get to my macros:
    Salmon, Asparagus, Almonds, Yogurt + Protein dessert
    19g Carbs, 29g Fat, 56g Protein

There is some variety but i do eat 5 times a day and i try to keep protein consistent around 40g per meal, and i move from carbs in the morning to fat at night.

My Programming looks something like this

Day 1: Chest/ Tri + LISS
    Day 2: Back/ Bi
    Day 3: Legs + LISS
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Chest/ Tri
    Day 6: Back /Bi + LISS
    Day 7: HIIT (15 mins ) + LISS + Stretching
    Day 8: Legs

Notice the 8th day.. i tend to rest after 2 to 3 straight days, so my programming rolls over the week into the next week. I try to do PPLRPPLR and at least 1 really short but super intense HIIT ride. I do lots of LISS. Walking, biking, but at a 90 or less HR.

I need help. I do not know why i am losing muscle and gaining / holding fat. I did have 1 vacation in this cut that was terrible for my macros.. fat and muscle loss could have happened there.

I dont know what to do. I am so diligent, and i am very tenacious. I stick to my plans and its just not working.
    Last edited by DaRusty; 08-24-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The error margin on individual DXA scans is much higher than 0.4%. So you didn't gain fat.

Your weight loss is going to slow though, so you need to reduce calories.

Don't use macro percentages. Read the stickies please.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If your strength did not deteriorate then you probably didn't lose muscle.

Why would you get DXA again after losing like 2lbs?

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    If your strength did not deteriorate then you probably didn't lose muscle.

Why would you get DXA again after losing like 2lbs?

My body weight fluctuates a lot. The scan day i was much heavier. I am around 190 right now. I think i had a full stomach and some water on me. I expected to see 5lbs lost.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DaRusty View Post
    My body weight fluctuates a lot. The scan day i was much heavier. I am around 190 right now. I think i had a full stomach and some water on me. I expected to see 5lbs lost.

To get accurate DXA scans you need to follow a specific lead in protocol.

In what situation would muscle be primarily lost given my nutrition and programming?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    In what situation would muscle be primarily lost given my nutrition and programming?
    You don't know that you lost muscle or not. Unless you lost a ton of strength - I didn't see that mentioned.

But to answer your question - insufficient protein, excessively large deficit, or poor training stimulus - all of these could contribute to muscle loss

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You don't know that you lost muscle or not. Unless you lost a ton of strength - I didn't see that mentioned.

But to answer your question - insufficient protein, excessively large deficit, or poor training stimulus - all of these could contribute to muscle loss
    There has been some strength loss. My weights can stay the same but the number of reps at that weight has dropped over the past 8 weeks.

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How long have you been training for and how much are you moving on your main lifts? Losing 5 pounds over 8 weeks shouldn't strength loss unless you are not pushing yourself hard enough or you are really struggling with recovery.

1. Your DXA scan are inaccurate because you didn't follow the right lead in protocol. (Controlling water weight is an important part of it)

2. If you lost strength it's likely due to suboptimal programming and recovery.

You may be doing too much HIIT and too much volume lifting.

Originally Posted by cmacken View Post
    How long have you been training for and how much are you moving on your main lifts? Losing 5 pounds over 8 weeks shouldn't strength loss unless you are not pushing yourself hard enough or you are really struggling with recovery.
    Started weight lifting seriously in January. So only 8 months. I weighed 178 when I started and saw a scan that was up to 149 lean mass @ 190lbs early March. Covid hit, and then i built a gym and was inconsistent but still active with a set of 5s - 60s dumbells. Got a barbell and squat rack in june and then decided to start my cut.

Most of my programming the first 3 months was 3x12s and 3x15s.. was working with a personal trainer who made me a 6 day split. Since March i have deviated from it a bit but still make sure i am tracking hitting the muscle groups with the same frequency and total sets. I moved to 3x8-12 and 4x10s for some the bigger lifts. I tend to do 2 big lifts, then 3 secondary lifts in the same muscle area, and then 2-3 exercises of the second group (bi/tri/core)

I do agree that my fluctuations are wild. I have always struggled with this. I will see 194 on the scale then 189 in a 48 hour window. Which drives me insane.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    1. Your DXA scan are inaccurate because you didn't follow the right lead in protocol. (Controlling water weight is an important part of it)

2. If you lost strength it's likely due to suboptimal programming and recovery.

You may be doing too much HIIT and too much volume lifting.
    A take away i am hearing here is to look at scans not as fact but a loose estimate. Test less often... maybe once or twice a year when i have seen significant changes.

Another takeaway is to simplify. Focus on quality over quantity, and find the right nutrition to support the activity.