Curesto is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My Close Grip Bench stronger than Regular Grip Bench Press

Hi, i'm new on powerlifting 18 years old and weighting about 80KGs. I had problem on bench. When i do regular grip (wide) bench press, i feel like my rotator cuffs gonna crush. My wide grip bench press PB about 85 KGs. When i do close grip (thumbs are touching each other) i feel way more comfortable and my pb on this lift is 100 KG. I don't know what to do. I think it causing that my triceps are stronger than my pecs. Is that possible?

Thanks.

360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Curesto View Post
    Hi, i'm new on powerlifting 18 years old and weighting about 80KGs. I had problem on bench. When i do regular grip (wide) bench press, i feel like my rotator cuffs gonna crush. My wide grip bench press PB about 85 KGs. When i do close grip (thumbs are touching each other) i feel way more comfortable and my pb on this lift is 100 KG. I don't know what to do. I think it causing that my triceps are stronger than my pecs. Is that possible?

Thanks.
    Yes, it's very possible. But if you feel like your rotator cuff is "gonna crush" then you're probably doing something wrong. Post a video of your wide-grip (and close-grip may help too.) Then someone can tell you if you're doing wide-grip incorrectly. If you fix your technique and are still stronger close-grip then you probably are stronger in your arms than your chest.

Thumbs touching each other is way too close though. Even a CLOSE-grip, as opposed to a medium grip, just has the inside of your hands lined up with the smooth part of a standard barbell. If you're strongest with your thumbs touching each other then that would be an interesting thing to see.

DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielL96 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks.
    It could be that your flaring your elbows too much on your "wide" grip bench. Find a position that's more comfortable with your elbows tucked in and maybe try a slightly narrower grip.

Form4U is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks.
    I'm guessing here, but do you have long arms and not so prominent chest structure? This was me and I persisted with a wide grip on the bench bar doing what was heavy bench weight for years. This led to shoulder joint problems and surgery. These days I use a grip on the bar where my hands are just where the knurling starts on the bar, or just shoulder wide. My thumbs are in line with the outer edge of my shoulders. This has taken much strain off my shoulder joints and has me back to benching moderate weight for reps. My adopting a wide power lifting grip on the bar was too much for my chest/shoulder structure. Choose a grip on the bar that feels comfortable to you and avoid injury. Remember, we are all unique and what works for one does not necessarily work for everyone. Injuries are counterproductive.