Mattfers is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Anyone uses HST? Program recommendation?

Hi guys, I'm an intermediate lifter, guilty of program hopping and exercise hopping.

I am a med student... So I can't train more than 3 days per week.
    Here I have 2 questions:
    1) What program do you recommend on a 3xweek basis (possibly full bodies or A/B split: It may happen that due to studying I might skip one workout and I don't want to skip entirely a muscle group for two weeks in a tipical bro split.

2) Anyone is familiar with HST?
    If so:
    Would this exercise selection look good?
    -Bench Press
    -Bb rows
    -Ohp
    -Pullups
    -Weighted dips
    -Bb curl
    -Bb back squat
    -SLDL
    -Donkey calf

And what should the rep scheme look like? I have two options
    -2 sets on everything for the whole cycle
    -1x15, 2x10, 3x5

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is the difference between "HST" (https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...t-workout.html) and bodybuilding. Is HST just a fancy term for bodybuilding or does it mean something specific. Sorry if my question in a little ignorant
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Bodyweight 74kg (09/09/2020)

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    What is the difference between "HST" (https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...t-workout.html) and bodybuilding. Is HST just a fancy term for bodybuilding or does it mean something specific. Sorry if my question in a little ignorant
    It's a particular protocol characterised by high frequency full body training, low volume per session and constantly shifting rep / exertion parameters to avoid reduction of the stimulus due to repeated bouts effect. It also employs "strategic deconditioning" to deload and resensitise to volume.

I think it's quite clever and was ahead of its time. My only criticism is that it leaves it up to you to decide on training volume where this could have been leveraged as a programming variable.

I don't use it specifically but the underlying method is pretty sounds as far as I can tell.

Mattfers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It's a particular protocol characterised by high frequency full body training, low volume per session and constantly shifting rep / exertion parameters to avoid reduction of the stimulus due to repeated bouts effect. It also employs "strategic deconditioning" to deload and resensitise to volume.

I think it's quite clever and was ahead of its time. My only criticism is that it leaves it up to you to decide on training volume where this could have been leveraged as a programming variable.

I don't use it specifically but the underlying method is pretty sounds as far as I can tell.

I get it. I just wanted to know about volume...
    Maybe I'll try both (2 sets throughout the whole cycle Vs 1x15, 2x10 and 3x15 and see what I like best)

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Mattfers View Post
    I get it. I just wanted to know about volume...
    Maybe I'll try both (2 sets throughout the whole cycle Vs 1x15, 2x10 and 3x15 and see what I like best)
    For volume - a good guideline is to use the same or slightly more total work sets (per bodypart per week) than your last successful program. Or it could be less than your last program if you've done a deload or taken time off between.

You don't have to do the same rotation every day - in fact that would make fine tuning the volume harder since 1 extra set on 1 day is 3 extra sets for the week in the case of a 3 day/week routine.

SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its on the lower side in terms of volume, but it seems to have a good progression scheme, good rep ranges, good exercise selection, good frequency and good recovery. Seems like it can work to make you stronger (and hence bigger).

Muscle Physiology Junkie Nwlifter's Avatar
    Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mattfers View Post
    Hi guys, I'm an intermediate lifter, guilty of program hopping and exercise hopping.

I am a med student... So I can't train more than 3 days per week.
    Here I have 2 questions:
    1) What program do you recommend on a 3xweek basis (possibly full bodies or A/B split: It may happen that due to studying I might skip one workout and I don't want to skip entirely a muscle group for two weeks in a tipical bro split.

2) Anyone is familiar with HST?
    If so:
    Would this exercise selection look good?
    -Bench Press
    -Bb rows
    -Ohp
    -Pullups
    -Weighted dips
    -Bb curl
    -Bb back squat
    -SLDL
    -Donkey calf

And what should the rep scheme look like? I have two options
    -2 sets on everything for the whole cycle
    -1x15, 2x10, 3x5
    First, good summation Suffolk

OP: I have been on the HST forum since early 2000's, your program looks very similar to what most used successfully, your option 2 (1x15,2x10,3x5) seemed like it was a better choice for most.
    Articles I've written for Weightrainer website
    http://www.weightrainer.net/articles.html#Ron_Sowers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Must read books
    Enoka: Neuromechanics of Human Movement
    Siff: Supertraining
    Schoenfeld: Science and Development of Muscular Hypertrophy
    Komi: Strength and Power in Sport
    McRobert: Beyond Brawn