ollieb3112 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I’m probably gonna quit :/

Hi
    I’m 17 years old weigh 176lbs and I am 5”9 , I’ve been working out since 2018 but only got serious about it for the past 6 months. Corona was a bit of a hit but I built up a home gym so I now have an incline/decline bench and ez curl and straight bar, adjustable dumbbells and about 80kg worth of weights. For about 3 of the 6 months I’ve practiced proper form and have been eating four meals a day which I try to make sure have the right amount of protein carbs and fats for my tdee, I went on a bulk for the last two months and managed to get my bench press to 44kg, my squat to 40kg and my deadlift to 42kg (alongside progression in other areas). I didn’t really look at myself for a while because the improvements in the above mentioned exercises must have meant I was doing something right.But today I decided to look at my body and I hate what I see there’s no definition , if I went shirtless on the beach for example people could just pass me up for your average guy. It’s really demotivating and makes me feel like all the work I’ve been doing has been a total waste of time , if anyone reads this I would love some advice because I’m honestly debating just giving up
    Thank you

Edit:
    I know the difference between training for strength and mass and have been trying to train for mass not strength

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You don't look how you want because you've barely gotten going according to your numbers.

Try following a structured routine like Fierce 5. You need to add something like 50-75kg to your bench and 100kg to your squat and 150kg to your deadlift before you'll really have enough muscle to show definition.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You've been seriously lifting 6 months. You are likely (by your stats and lifting numbers) carrying a fair amount of fat. Your numbers (what you lift) is low - and yet your are disappointed? In what? It's your expectations that are 'off'. And follow SuffolkPunch's advice and get on something like Fierce 5.

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    You've been seriously lifting 6 months. You are likely (by your stats and lifting numbers) carrying a fair amount of fat. Your numbers (what you lift) is low - and yet your are disappointed? In what? It's your expectations that are 'off'. And follow SuffolkPunch's advice and get on something like Fierce 5.
    But I’ve seen countless transformation videos of people who started with little to no experience who managed to gain a significant amount of muscle in about 3-4 months , not to discredit anything you’re saying because you probably know more than me it just seems off

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You don't look how you want because you've barely gotten going according to your numbers.

Try following a structured routine like Fierce 5. You need to add something like 50-75kg to your bench and 100kg to your squat and 150kg to your deadlift before you'll really have enough muscle to show definition.
    At the moment I carry a fair bit of cub around the stomach and hip area , would you recommend that I bulk or cut ? In your opinion

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ollieb3112 View Post
    But I’ve seen countless transformation videos of people who started with little to no experience who managed to gain a significant amount of muscle in about 3-4 months , not to discredit anything you’re saying because you probably know more than me it just seems off
    A lot of those are very misleading. Some are downright lying. Usually what you see is someone who'se been lifting a long time who is a bit fluffy and goes on a cut. Bodyfat % make a big visual difference. But you won't get the same end result if you haven't built the underlying muscle beforehand.

There are still some 'honest' transformations but the reason you didn't achieve the same is, I'm sorry to say, probably down to effort. Anyone putting in the required effort would not still have a 40kg deadlift 2 years on...

At the moment I carry a fair bit of cub around the stomach and hip area , would you recommend that I bulk or cut ? In your opinion
    No idea. I would need to see a picture. However, based on your lifts, you almost certainly don't have enough muscle for a cut to be worthwhile.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    A lot of those are very misleading. Some are downright lying. Usually what you see is someone who'se been lifting a long time who is a bit fluffy and goes on a cut. Bodyfat % make a big visual difference. But you won't get the same end result if you haven't built the underlying muscle beforehand.

There are still some 'honest' transformations but the reason you didn't achieve the same is, I'm sorry to say, probably down to effort. Anyone putting in the required effort would not still have a 40kg deadlift 2 years on...

No idea. I would need to see a picture. However, based on your lifts, you almost certainly don't have enough muscle for a cut to be worthwhile.

I admit that most of what I did was cardio back in the day because I was really fat and just didn’t want to be fat anymore , I was on and off since 2018 and only started to attempt weightlifting last year from January to April then I couldn’t fit it in anymore because I had to revise hard for gcse, then I didn’t start again until August when I didn’t know what progressive overload was and pretty much got nowhere , then in June This year I started to focus hard on progressive overload, eating right, proper form and sleep , and this month I wanted to start focusing on my macros. I would like to think that over the last three months at the very least that I put as much effort as possible in as ive really tried to exzert myself.

I don’t know how to show pictures ? But I will

1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi
    I’m 17 years old weigh 176lbs and I am 5”9 , I’ve been working out since 2018 but only got serious about it for the past 6 months. Corona was a bit of a hit but I built up a home gym so I now have an incline/decline bench and ez curl and straight bar, adjustable dumbbells and about 80kg worth of weights. For about 3 of the 6 months I’ve practiced proper form and have been eating four meals a day which I try to make sure have the right amount of protein carbs and fats for my tdee, I went on a bulk for the last two months and managed to get my bench press to 44kg, my squat to 40kg and my deadlift to 42kg (alongside progression in other areas). I didn’t really look at myself for a while because the improvements in the above mentioned exercises must have meant I was doing something right.But today I decided to look at my body and I hate what I see there’s no definition , if I went shirtless on the beach for example people could just pass me up for your average guy. It’s really demotivating and makes me feel like all the work I’ve been doing has been a total waste of time , if anyone reads this I would love some advice because I’m honestly debating just giving up
    Thank you

Edit:
    I know the difference between training for strength and mass and have been trying to train for mass not strength
    You've got some solid advice and suggestions here for your inquiry. I might add that reducing body fat and thereby creating more definition, can often make one appear bigger and more well-muscled - even though they may in fact be smaller by the tape/scale. Decide what you want to accomplish for your short & long-term goals, then map out a tried and true plan to get there. Adhere to it, and trust the process.
    Without proper diets and effective meal plans dialed in, you might well be spitting in the wind.

Originally Posted by 1stCoachJoe View Post
    You've got some solid advice and suggestions here for your inquiry. I might add that reducing body fat and thereby creating more definition, can often make one appear bigger and more well-muscled - even though they may in fact be smaller by the tape/scale. Decide what you want to accomplish for your short & long-term goals, then map out a tried and true plan to get there. Adhere to it, and trust the process.
    Thank you and I get that , I think maybe I’ll try build more muscle then cut as maybe I overestimated the amount of muscle I had

azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) azzspankr has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't quit and stop comparing yourself to others.
    St. Louis Blues Crew
    I cannot suck my entire dong but I can lollipop the head crew
    It might be short but it sure is skinny crew
    RICHSTRONG's personal s*x toy

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Edit:
    If you did understand, you'd know how little the difference is and how long it takes to progress with either goal. You'd know that lifting 40ish kg in the big 3 lifts won't accomplish much in either hypertrophy or strength.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You should be training for more than just improving your appearance, you should train because you like to train. Getting past the purely superficial goal of looking like the incredible hulk, if you don't like weight training for the purpose of weight training in itself, it may be that weight training isn't for you. It isn't a waste of time to try new things, especially at age 17. You can try different hobbies until you find something you are really passionate about. You might find another sport that you are more suited to such as cycling, running, calisthenics, rock climbing, etc. If you want to stick with weights, as far as your numbers go, you are not very strong. If you aren't strong, you won't have much muscle. A proper routine would help gain strength and therefore gain muscle, as that seems to be your primary goal. To gain strength, less reps and heavier weight is generally the way to go.

Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    You should be training for more than just improving your appearance, you should train because you like to train. Getting past the purely superficial goal of looking like the incredible hulk, if you don't like weight training for the purpose of weight training in itself, it may be that weight training isn't for you. It isn't a waste of time to try new things, especially at age 17. You can try different hobbies until you find something you are really passionate about. You might find another sport that you are more suited to such as cycling, running, calisthenics, rock climbing, etc. If you want to stick with weights, as far as your numbers go, you are not very strong. If you aren't strong, you won't have much muscle. A proper routine would help gain strength and therefore gain muscle, as that seems to be your primary goal. To gain strength, less reps and heavier weight is generally the way to go.
    No I genuinely do enjoy weight lifting , I’m the sort of person who if they didn’t enjoy wouldn’t bother wasting my time. If I find a problem I always manage to fix it but I guess this wasn’t even a problem I was just overestimating how muscular I actually am , as for routines I’m using a beginner , superset based free weight routine from this website , it has all the main three lifts , I can link it if you want , I think for where I am it’s an alright routine

Originally Posted by azzspankr View Post
    Don't quit and stop comparing yourself to others.
    Thanks man

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No I genuinely do enjoy weight lifting , I’m the sort of person who if they didn’t enjoy wouldn’t bother wasting my time. If I find a problem I always manage to fix it but I guess this wasn’t even a problem I was just overestimating how muscular I actually am , as for routines I’m using a beginner , superset based free weight routine from this website , it has all the main three lifts , I can link it if you want , I think for where I am it’s an alright routine
    If you enjoy it, then definitely stick with it. The results will come eventually. Also comparing yourself to others over social media is not a recipe for success. Users on sites such as Instagram juice and photoshop themselves to present an unrealistic appearance for a natural beginner. One thing you might try, instead of bodybuilding, is a powerlifting centric routine. Making strength gains will feel rewarding.

Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't quit bro.